#646 - "Rising Force"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I figured I was right but now it's confirmed - safely back aboard the Enterprise!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm I think that's the third 1A in three weeks. Matt's certainly got a sense of humor.
I guess I am brain dead, what do you mean his "third 1A" in three weeks?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beam me up. This one was fun. I had to solve the meta before I could finish the grid.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am
Dplass wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:49 pm I think that's the third 1A in three weeks. Matt's certainly got a sense of humor.
The third time someone has used either that clue or that answer to represent those two co-workers in metas in the last 3 weeks.
Last edited by Dplass on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Worked backwards, but up me beam!
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

Didn’t get to this til today, but beam me up! Nice one.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Beam me up. Maybe my first solo week 3.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:02 am
DrTom wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 am
The third time someone has used either that clue or that answer to represent those two co-workers in metas in the last 3 weeks.
Ah OK, yeas this week BOTH Mikel and Matt used it. They actually had three clues the same. Obviously DOC is a handy set of letters? Told you I was brain dead!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I incorrectly answered Plutoniums (and in my note saying I was torn between Plutonium and Plutoniums since both are valid plural) after seeing all the PU rising up in each answer. I thought it was the obvious answer since it is definitely a “force”. Oh well. I was so convinced it was correct that I also commented it would have been interesting to have 94 clues in the puzzle also since it is the atomic number of plutonium.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Weirdly easy this week after struggling mightily last week. Might be my fastest solve (although I didn't do the puzzle until Monday). Maybe 7 and 7 is the celebratory drink of choice?
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Kicking myself for not getting this. I mean, Matt comes right out and tells you where to look.
Jay
ricky

Post by ricky »

I got this one at the last minute. I had the correct answer as a possibility at the very beginning but ruled it out because the hint specified a plural noun and the answer is also a verb. I don't quite understand why you'd specify the part of speech if doing so potentially rules out the correct answer...
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Wriggler

Post by Wriggler »

I just solved the related puzzle below in a compilation book a few days before this week's MGWCC came out. From that I guessed the correct answer from the Rising Force title and the plural noun hint, but didn't have the nerve that E.A. has to submit before solving. :0
https://www.xwordinfo.com/Crossword?dat ... 8&g=33&d=D
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:48 pm Kicking myself for not getting this. I mean, Matt comes right out and tells you where to look.
agree, I feel 110% the same here ... it literally is there in the grid.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.