"Summer Wear" - October 16, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore! I did the puzzle Thursday afternoon, but I didn’t have a lot of time to look at it until today and I didn’t make much progress with it, so I laid it aside until bedtime, took one last look, turned out the bedside lamp, and instantly saw where the answer must lie.

So ... back to bed, thankful to know that I will be free to spend tomorrow on something else besides the meta! ... 😜

Also, this makes me feel marginally better about not getting last week’s meta. I’m still trying to figure out how what it was that derailed me on that one ... 😳
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Made it to shore fairly quickly this week after being completely stumped last week. I think I’ll have a Manhattan with Maker’s Mark.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:30 pm
Henry Paul wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm First time posting to this board. I've been STRUGGLING with these metas since discovering them this past March -- I get the XWord easily, but can never spot the pattern. (I've solved it only once and was close only two times.)

You all have given me hope and I'm happy to report ON SHORE. :-)

And it's still early on a Saturday!
Welcome to this motley group of solvers HP (hey the Brits named a steak sauce after you!). It gets better and better as you see how clever these constructors really are. We are always happy to add to the Muggle family.
There's also an awesome band named after you... um... you aren't that Henry Paul, are you??
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:24 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:12 pm Ashore! That one took me longer than I'd like to admit. I'll take beer: multiple, cold, and domestic.

My twins turn 5 tomorrow so I'm smoking a brisket overnight tonight to celebrate...supposed to get down to 36 degrees here overnight, so wish me luck!
My twins are 31 (boys). Enjoy them at this age!
My twins are 26 (boys). Enjoy them at this age!
My twins are 28 (Dom and his sister Emilia). Enjoy them at every age! Here they are at a wedding yesterday (I took the photo and my wife was with me, so we had 4/6 of the family there).
Attachments
28B63AC7-E153-42FA-8E58-8B29FFA058E0.jpeg
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm On shore!

I showed the puzzle to my husband last night. I get back from my birdwalk this morning and he announces that he has solved it. So......how about a hint? Then he mentions the two things I had shown him yesterday. Yes dear, I know those already. But he did shoot down one rabbit-hole (fortunately missing the resident bunny).

So I grab the puzzle as we head out the door for Open House Chicago. And inspiration finally hit as we were en route. So we had our celebratory drinks, not at the Tiki bar but at a bar that had been one of the original Schlitz tied-houses. Dave had an oatmeal stout and I had a prickly pear hard cider.
Is that Schubas???
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm On shore!

I showed the puzzle to my husband last night. I get back from my birdwalk this morning and he announces that he has solved it. So......how about a hint? Then he mentions the two things I had shown him yesterday. Yes dear, I know those already. But he did shoot down one rabbit-hole (fortunately missing the resident bunny).

So I grab the puzzle as we head out the door for Open House Chicago. And inspiration finally hit as we were en route. So we had our celebratory drinks, not at the Tiki bar but at a bar that had been one of the original Schlitz tied-houses. Dave had an oatmeal stout and I had a prickly pear hard cider.
Is that Schubas???
No--we went to Mac's Wood Grill. We were thinking of Schubas but that was a little further north (or should it be farther north--grammar is hard!).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

pddigi wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 am
Joe Ross wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:35 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:24 pm

My twins are 31 (boys). Enjoy them at this age!
My twins are 26 (boys). Enjoy them at this age!
My twins are 28 (Dom and his sister Emilia). Enjoy them at every age! Here they are at a wedding yesterday (I took the photo and my wife was with me, so we had 4/6 of the family there).
Great family

But the more important question is whether you or Dom are on shore?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am YAY solved, and to quote fellow Muggles - DOH! Why I missed that repeatedly I'll never know, perhaps, and given my recent Fall Trip pictures, forget the forest, I could not see the trees for the leaves?
My turn to wear the dunce hat this week -- (which looks a bit like a par-tay hat anyway. ;) )
Funny, but I'd been thinking of trees also. I feel like I see them, I see the forest too -- cripes, I even see the veins on the leaves. But obviously I haven't found the right tree to climb to the top of to get a clear view to the answer. It's probably staring me in the face; I've most likely smacked into the trunk any number of times! Meanwhile I'll continue to wander and trip over all the gnarly roots --
Capturebearhunt.JPG
(from We're Going On A Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury)
boharr

Post by boharr »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:22 am
tim1217 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:10 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:03 pm
No--we went to Mac's Wood Grill. We were thinking of Schubas but that was a little further north (or should it be farther north--grammar is hard!).
For distance. Farther.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I’m always amazed at how others can do these so quickly. Hat’s off to you.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

On shore thanks to joe Ross....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday Morning muggles

First a welcome to our newest Muggle - Henry Paul. Great to have all the newest muggles on board.

We have 12 on the ship and 140 on the shore.

Joining the party on the ship are
Tom S
and Whimsy

Exiting the ship to the shore are
otlaolap - who was there all along but I missed him
joequavis
michaelm
Plymouth Rock
Fkelly
lbray53
MileHighSolver
PJM
jimbo1
Diane
debbierudy
ladybird
Powers2020
David K
Jeremy
RdB
billkatz
notbitter
JennyByrd
KscX
yourpalsal
PQ63
Jenny
HenryPaul
Jean
and phofer

A good crowd on the beach. Large screen TV's are set up for the football games and Game 7 of the Dodgers/Braves game. And by the way congratulations to Meg's Rays for making it to the world series

Good luck to all winning the mug. Another week with long odds.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

Ashore after weeks and weeks getting my drink on with Isaac at the bar of the Lido deck. I think I'll just have an ice tea at the beach after all that imbibing.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m still on the ship with Isaac. Had a chance to look it over, but am stuck in a dead-end rabbit hole. My mind is sure it knows the mechanism, but it just won’t work. (I must be wrong.) Good luck to those of you who are in the running for the mug.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Ashore! And a public thanks to lbray53 for the reminder to go back to the basics in the FAQs. And to puzzle-working daughter for one of her observations when we were both in the "unsolved" situation.
Cynthia
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

I'd really appreciate a nudge! Been down a few rabbit holes but not getting there.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

beccacollins wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:10 pm I'd really appreciate a nudge! Been down a few rabbit holes but not getting there.
Sent a PM.
Cynthia
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

I’m still stuck. I think I must be on the right track but am not getting anywhere.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore - I hope. There seem to be two possible answers for this one!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A new ice cream shop opened near me and with your approval I will enter into negotiations for them to bring a food truck to the beach party each weekend. The photo shows a lineup of their milkshakes. I had the one third from right: strawberry ice cream, crushed vanilla wafers, and strawberry puree, topped with whipped cream, a vanilla Oreo, a sugar wafer, a Pepperidge Farm pirouette cookie and a strawberry slice. Now you know why I work out so hard.
Attachments
chispa (2).jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!