"Summer Wear" - October 16, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FKelly wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm වෙරළේ
समुद्रीतट पर
ସମୁଦ୍ର କୂଳରେ
На пляже
கடற்கரையில்
سمنڊ ڪناري تي
No matter how you say it, I'm ready for some pampered pork and a glass of Shiraz.
You bet Shiraz! Oh and:
Rappelez-vous, tout personnes besoin de deux metres d'espace et je vous en prie porter de masque!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Henry Paul wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm First time posting to this board. I've been STRUGGLING with these metas since discovering them this past March -- I get the XWord easily, but can never spot the pattern. (I've solved it only once and was close only two times.)

You all have given me hope and I'm happy to report ON SHORE. :-)

And it's still early on a Saturday!
Welcome to this motley group of solvers HP (hey the Brits named a steak sauce after you!). It gets better and better as you see how clever these constructors really are. We are always happy to add to the Muggle family.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

Henry Paul wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm First time posting to this board. I've been STRUGGLING with these metas since discovering them this past March -- I get the XWord easily, but can never spot the pattern. (I've solved it only once and was close only two times.)

You all have given me hope and I'm happy to report ON SHORE. :-)

And it's still early on a Saturday!
Mazal tov!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On shore!

I showed the puzzle to my husband last night. I get back from my birdwalk this morning and he announces that he has solved it. So......how about a hint? Then he mentions the two things I had shown him yesterday. Yes dear, I know those already. But he did shoot down one rabbit-hole (fortunately missing the resident bunny).

So I grab the puzzle as we head out the door for Open House Chicago. And inspiration finally hit as we were en route. So we had our celebratory drinks, not at the Tiki bar but at a bar that had been one of the original Schlitz tied-houses. Dave had an oatmeal stout and I had a prickly pear hard cider.
Attachments
20201017_143149.jpg
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Since I reached shore so quickly this week, I am now going back to the previous metas to see how I do. (Beginning with the very first one)
So far, I am 2 for 2.
Konnie
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

Enjoyed watching the Dodgers game last night with Isaac. Had a snifter of Blanton's before today's game and boom - there it was. On shore!
PJM

Post by PJM »

Greetings from Montego Bay, Jamaica.

I am literally and figuratively on the beach. :D
16029766942580.jpg
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Finally on the beach with a nudge. I was so close, but needed the help. No mug entry for me, but definitely mixing up a cocktail!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore after way too much floundering. But sand is sand.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Is there a marriage councilor in the clan???

On one hand we have the familial solvers (Jim/Anita, Trey/Marion, Rita/George) and on the other hand we have marital something else. I leave it to others to make their conclusions.

But the stories are great.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally onshore. I can’t believe it took me so long. The AHA moment on this one is a cross between a slap and a punch to the face! :shock:
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore. I really need to get to the MGWCC, but I've been distracted by wiring my future home theater and the Puzzle Boat.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore (feeling like a human cannonball).

After traversing the same rabbit trails multiple times, I paused for a chocolate infusion and all of a sudden the mechanism came to me in an AHA moment.

Those who have been recommending folks to review the FAQs - Community / Solving Resources forum are giving helpful advice. To say anything more might be a spoiler.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Just as I was getting ready to affix a brass nameplate to my stool at Isaac’s bar after a string of fails, realization dawned - thrilled to be ashore!
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

ImageI am also on the Beach, literally and figuratively. Helping my DS move to Hawaii, so took a few moments to check out the beach before we head to dinner.
Attachments
BF348360-1472-442A-ABA9-44F70B7CA7F8.jpeg
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:09 pm
Scraps - real men (not me) go surfing in Maine in January
I've never even wanted to be that tough!
KscX

Post by KscX »

On shore!
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

I'm onshore!
After quite a few wrong turns. Fun!