"Summer Wear" - October 16, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jholway

Post by Jholway »

Thanks fur the nudge, on shore two weeks in a row (with help) 😊👍
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

The boat is taking on water and starting to list! I'm just gonna keep staring though! :shock:
Richard

Post by Richard »

On Shore

Tried to make it much harder than it is.

Richard
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Could use a nudge if anyone is inclined to DM me... have tried several angles to no avail. Thanks!
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

Got it! On shore. Went down a couple of rabbit holes for a few minutes; walked away; looked at it once more and figured it out immediately.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

I had to take a walk around the neighborhood to clear my head as I was overcomplicating this one. I’m now happily on the beach.
Crest

Post by Crest »

Ashore! Beginner’s luck continues!
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Got it. Nice.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore.
LizD

Post by LizD »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:39 pm
LizD wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:09 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 pm

I finally found you - welcome back - we missed you

Hi Bob! Were you looking for me?! :D
As we have migrated from the WSJ comments to this blog, I have tried to associate the muggle's blog names with their WSJ comment's name so I don't double count our clan size. When you made the comment that you had not been here in a while, I knew I recognized the name so I searched on my excel file. Am I correct in that your husband's name is Bill and it looks like a Dutch name?
Yep! That's some really good detective work! 😁 (and it's French Belgian 😉)
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are BBBBBBBAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK! Took a couple of weeks in the sewer for some stupid reason(s). Glad to be on shore with the Muggles and looking for the mug...........
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I went down way to many rabbit holes. Took some time off to enjoy the snow coming down outside my window, and then got the answer. Looking forward to what I hope is a nice cold, snowy winter.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Finished the grid and let it sit.
Took the dog for a walk and then found it.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Made to the shore after keeping Isaac company for a couple of weeks.
Jack Sullivan
Tripod

Post by Tripod »

Ashore. Feels like 100%er.

Got to it this evening, and was just in a groove on the grid and the meta. Perhaps a thank you is owed for the assist from Vodka and Tonic 'clearing' my brain.

Life has kept me from being able to solve them all on time, but this makes 4 metas in a row for me. After weeks (and weeks, and weeks) of not much success - also known as utter futility - this is a great feeling. Thanks for the muggle support.

Now if only someone could give me a good 'nudge' of advice to help explain to my wife what I'm doing in these 'chat rooms' on weekends...
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On shore! Enjoying a merlot while watching baseball.
Enjoy the weekend everyone!
clueless_solver

Post by clueless_solver »

LAS, starting to think I'm just rubbish at these and I only solve the meta when it's a gimmick that no one else seems to like. My group tried a bunch of things since there were a few answers that seemed to be obviously related to a solution, but after a few hours of trying I think the whole thing (and the multitude of rabbit holes it caused) was totally wrong. I think I'll just sleep on it.

Does anyone else feel like they always notice double letters way too much, even though I don't think I've ever had a meta that involved that mechanism?
boharr

Post by boharr »

clueless_solver wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:55 pm LAS, starting to think I'm just rubbish at these and I only solve the meta when it's a gimmick that no one else seems to like. My group tried a bunch of things since there were a few answers that seemed to be obviously related to a solution, but after a few hours of trying I think the whole thing (and the multitude of rabbit holes it caused) was totally wrong. I think I'll just sleep on it.

Does anyone else feel like they always notice double letters way too much, even though I don't think I've ever had a meta that involved that mechanism?
Keep at it. You'll get it. And, yes, I'm always noticing double letters.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Tripod wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:30 pm Ashore. Feels like 100%er.

Got to it this evening, and was just in a groove on the grid and the meta. Perhaps a thank you is owed for the assist from Vodka and Tonic 'clearing' my brain.

Life has kept me from being able to solve them all on time, but this makes 4 metas in a row for me. After weeks (and weeks, and weeks) of not much success - also known as utter futility - this is a great feeling. Thanks for the muggle support.

Now if only someone could give me a good 'nudge' of advice to help explain to my wife what I'm doing in these 'chat rooms' on weekends...
Nudge: tell your wife you are chatting with Jake from Allstate! 👍
TPS

Post by TPS »

clueless_solver wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:55 pm LAS, starting to think I'm just rubbish at these and I only solve the meta when it's a gimmick that no one else seems to like. My group tried a bunch of things since there were a few answers that seemed to be obviously related to a solution, but after a few hours of trying I think the whole thing (and the multitude of rabbit holes it caused) was totally wrong. I think I'll just sleep on it.

No one and I mean NO ONE is worse at these than me - if the method isn’t a basic theme answer solve - I go through 20 crazy iterations in 30 minutes looking for methods - making origami out of the grid or turning it into a Banksy- at one point on this one I drew something that looked like a bird connecting letter and started googling summer water that looks like a bird.

So you are not alone.
Last edited by TPS on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.