"Show Them The Way" - October 9, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20201009 WSJCC Show Them the Way.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
TPS

Post by TPS »

I don't know if this was easy or not - clearly it wasn't for everyone. For me, my first idea just worked. I saw the Eight is Enough clue and counted 5 answers with more than 8 letters in typical locations for theme answers. I counted out 8 letters then typed the left over letters in order into word and got TOO MUCH TV - which fit the contest prompt and made sense because Eight is Enough was a TV show.

EDIT: As I mentioned in a previous post this was a tough one for me to nudge without giving the whole thing away - I tried to help several people I think I might have successfully helped one or two but I may have made it worse for others - if you were one of the ones I confused I apologize.
Last edited by TPS on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Is TV a word)
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:06 am I don't know if this was easy or not - clearly it wasn't for everyone. For me, my first idea just worked. I saw the Eight is Enough clue and counted 5 answers with more than 8 letters in typical locations for theme answers. I counted out 8 letters then typed the left over letters in order into word and got TOO MUCH TV - which fit the contest prompt and made sense because Eight is Enough was a TV show.
Yes, though first I looked at the eighth letter in the 5 long answers. This was garbage.
Then I looked at what was left after the 8 letters and it spelled out the answer.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The symmetrical Theme Entires were obvious as were the Indicator Clue & Entry at 75A. Only the Theme Entries had more than 8 letters, which further cemented them as the source of the meta answer. My problem was not looking at the TE letters beyond 8 as "extra", rather that there were to be 8 letters in each TE that were "Goldilocks", "just right", or "enough", and these letters would yield the answer. Any reasonable person (& there were so many of you) would tell themselves to look at it in a different way, but I wouldn't allow that.

The puzzle was fine. This solver was not. Afterward, I still didn't like it until someone explained that 8 letters were enough and the rest were "TOO MUCH", as in the meta answer, "TOO MUCH TV." You can lead a horse to water...

[ EDIT: Softie explains my reaction much better than I could ever hope to: ]
Softie wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:42 am "Eight is Enough" for what? The first eight letters of the long answers are not enough to spell anything. If eight are enough, when you take away the extra you should be left with something meaningful.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

My husband doesn't actually do the puzzles, but he becomes involved when the solution escapes me.

We are sitting here laughing at ourselves for having never figured out to simply look past the first eight letters!
Konnie
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

After solving the meta, I wondered why they didnโ€™t just use โ€œEight is Enoughโ€ for the puzzle title instead of putting it in the grid. That title would have similarly indicated to me to use extra letters from the longest answers.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

This is the first meta--ever--where I saw the correct mechanism for each step without heading down rabbit holes. BUT..........what was throwing me off was that I couldn't figure out how the name of the puzzle SHOW THEM THE WAY played into anything--answer or mechanism or whatever. Does anyone have an idea about this?
TPS

Post by TPS »

Jace54 wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am After solving the meta, I wondered why they didnโ€™t just use โ€œEight is Enoughโ€ for the puzzle title instead of putting it in the grid. That title would have similarly indicated to me to use extra letters from the longest answers.
I had the same thought - I think the title that wasn't super relevant to the solution and threw a lot of solvers. I remember the CITY BLOCKS/MIAMI puzzle everyone though it didn't need the clue - I felt that was about this one - just make the title Eight is Enough with no clue.
TPS

Post by TPS »

LadyBird wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am This is the first meta--ever--where I saw the correct mechanism for each step without heading down rabbit holes. BUT..........what was throwing me off was that I couldn't figure out how the name of the puzzle SHOW THEM THE WAY played into anything--answer or mechanism or whatever. Does anyone have an idea about this?
I think it was merely a sorta play on how parents "guide" their children and a play on the fact Stevie Nicks released a song by that name the same day.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I kept trying to come up with "moving back home" :lol:
Konnie
Softie

Post by Softie »

All right, I'll say it: I don't think this was a good puzzle. "Eight is Enough" for what? The first eight letters of the long answers are not enough to spell anything. If eight are enough, when you take away the extra you should be left with something meaningful.

Add in the dubious title and I'm glad I didn't spend too much time on this.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I loved this puzzle. Very elegant and a very clear answer. Well done!
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

I got the answer by using the extra letters but only after spending time based on the puzzle title trying to make something of all the directions or โ€œwaysโ€ in the grid and longer answers: OUT, IN, AT, IN (again) and END. Tried to hook them up with similar references in the rest of the grid but got nowhere (bad pun, sorry). So decided to count the letters and use the extras. Voila.
VanVeen

Post by VanVeen »

This meta reminded me of โ€œThe Fourth Man.โ€ Does anyone else remember that one?

Many of the comments were similar, too, with people saying โ€œdonโ€™t overthink itโ€ or โ€œI canโ€™t believe it took me so long.โ€

Anyway, I didnโ€™t get that one but I did get this one so I count it as sort of a redemption.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

LadyBird wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am This is the first meta--ever--where I saw the correct mechanism for each step without heading down rabbit holes. BUT..........what was throwing me off was that I couldn't figure out how the name of the puzzle SHOW THEM THE WAY played into anything--answer or mechanism or whatever. Does anyone have an idea about this?
TV programs are shows?
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Image So close! But I just didnโ€™t see it...
Attachments
095C59E3-7615-400F-B60F-BEFA72D3AD4F.jpeg
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Iโ€™ve had very little time for anything between the Jewish holidays and work recently, but I was so psyched to see Wendy got the mug last week!!!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Wow! When I pull a blank, it's a doozy! I'm going to have to think about this one a while to analyze why it stumped me. Totally embarrassing ... ๐Ÿ˜ณ.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

yourpalsal wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:04 am Image So close! But I just didnโ€™t see it...
Ditto. Written down right in front of me but didn't see it. Spent a whole day trying to find "eight" in other languages after seeing "acht" staring me in the face.