"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:53 pmImage
That chick has more outfits...
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Ixolib

Post by Ixolib »

Congratulations, Wendy!!
Ixolib

Post by Ixolib »

I have a question I hope someone can answer. After a couple of months, I get automatically logged out. Are we supposed to log in every time we use the site to prevent this? I clicked on "remember me" but this still happens automatically... Then when I try to log back in using the user name and password which I carefully wrote down, it won't work. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Ixolib wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 pm I have a question I hope someone can answer. After a couple of months, I get automatically logged out. Are we supposed to log in every time we use the site to prevent this? I clicked on "remember me" but this still happens automatically... Then when I try to log back in using the user name and password which I carefully wrote down, it won't work. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!
I log in and out whenever Iโ€™m on the site. I use Chrome, so it remembers my log in info.
Heidi
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Conmugulations Wendy!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Dan said that his first meta solving experience reminded him of Christmas morning โ€” the long build-up of anticipation, the frenzy of ripping open the presents, then that feeling shortly after โ€” that it was all over too soon! He remains noncommittal about making the meta a habit, but says he wants to try it again this week!

The hardest part for me was digging out my poker face (havenโ€™t needed it for a long time), and trying to maintain it for about a day! I was lucky to spot the 60A PASTELS tip-off, and took the jet-ski to shore within a couple minutes of solving the grid. Thought it would be a little demoralizing if he knew that I had gotten it that quickly.

Weโ€™ll be back on Thursday!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Ixolib wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 pm I have a question I hope someone can answer. After a couple of months, I get automatically logged out. Are we supposed to log in every time we use the site to prevent this? I clicked on "remember me" but this still happens automatically... Then when I try to log back in using the user name and password which I carefully wrote down, it won't work. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!
I use Edge and it keeps me logged in to the extent that I have to look up my password if I ever need it. My iPhone logs me out but it remembers my user name and I use my fingerprint to get back in.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:53 pmWendyChamp.png
The MUG, so much better than Lord Stanley's Cup! This is hilarious, Brian, thanks!!!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TMart

Post by TMart »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:41 pm We thought this one was a bit easier than the last few, but you never can tell--we had 788 entries, somewhat below our average. About 74% correct (close to average). Other guesses included CRITICS (15), PATRONS (11), NEA (7), IMPRESSIONISTS (4), ANGELS (4), DONORS (3), and several others. (Were these just guesses?)

Congrats to this week's winner (and regular Muggle): Wendy Walker of West Grove, PA!
Woo hoo! Congrats, Wendy! Another mug for Pennsylvania!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am The MUG, so much better than Lord Stanley's Cup! This is hilarious, Brian, thanks!!!
Sorry, guess I should have used a Flyer? :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BrianMac wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:04 am
Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am The MUG, so much better than Lord Stanley's Cup! This is hilarious, Brian, thanks!!!
Sorry, guess I should have used a Flyer? :)
MOST CERTAINLY!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Late to the party. but CONGRATS Wendy!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

SusieG wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 pm
Hector wrote: โ†‘Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 pm
Plus crazily casual racoons. My photos continue to get rejected as too big but here's a recent published one taken on the same path: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 591893.php
Sometimes when raccoons or skunks get close to humans itโ€™s because theyโ€™re rabid.
Just wanted to comment on the rabies subject, hoping it won't spoil the great, and well-deserved, celebration of Wendy's mug win...

Here is the story: Several weeks ago on a Friday morning, I was enjoying my ritual of coffee and WSJCC. Our beagle was outside, barking furiously. After trying to ignore the cacophony for a while, I actually listened and realized I had never heard this particular bark. Most of Griffin's barks can be categorized into:
1) welcome home
2) neighbor walking by
3) stranger walking by
4) delivery person
5) one of many neighbors' cats
6) SQUIRREL!
In my meta-mesmerized state, I assumed I was hearing bark #6, but when I finally paid attention, I realized there was a much more frantic pitch to his incessant and insistent noise. He was sounding an alert. I went outside to find him under our deck and nothing was going to stop that barking! I got a flashlight and was able to see a masked face underneath one corner of the deck which is inaccessible because our yard is very sloped in that area. I knew immediately it must be a rabid raccoon, and called animal control. By the time the animal enforcement officer arrived, my husband had returned from the golf course, and together they were able to contain the poor animal. At the time, Griffin was up-to-date on his rabies vaccination, but this post reminded me to take G to the vet for his 3 year inoculation this morning. Thanks, MUGgle friends!
Sara
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Congratulations, Wendy. Enjoy your hot beverages in good health!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Message to Our Pal Sal: We have missed you the last couple of weeks. Hope to see you again tonight!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SewYoung wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm Message to Our Pal Sal: We have missed you the last couple of weeks. Hope to see you again tonight!
Getting the spinning wheel of death & "Please wait for the host to start this meeting."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Has anyone heard from Sal as to whether he or anyone else is opening the zoom meeting. If we don't hear from him, I can open up one but only for 45 minutes
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 pm
SewYoung wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:53 pm Message to Our Pal Sal: We have missed you the last couple of weeks. Hope to see you again tonight!
Getting the spinning wheel of death & "Please wait for the host to start this meeting."
Same here...
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I am missing a township meeting to party with y'all but it doesn't seem to be happening!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I'm getting it too.
Heidi