"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Way to go Wendy! So happy for you!
Sara
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Congrats, Wendy! I know that sending in the right answer is Step One, but then how did you figure out how to get the mug?
Jay
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tenor.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

Congratulations, Wendy!

I never did solve this one, I figured pastels had to do with drawing and painting, all sorts of rabbits were chased. (including thinking that there were Air Force bases involved, like Offutt. Except tofutti has one F.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Yay Wendy!! You soooooo deserve this. We’d like a picture of you in that Renaissance outfit, holding the mug full of mead or ale or butter beer.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Hip HIp Hooray for Wendy!
And let's throw in a few Hazzahs too!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:09 am What a quandary: My doctor is offering a seminar on "six steps you can take to help improve your memory and remain sharp as you get older — and tips on how to reduce your Alzheimer's risk by 50 percent." Trouble is, it's scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday (and it doesn't look like they are recording it)! DON'T THEY KNOW WHO I AM?? What to do?
Now they'll know who you are!! :D
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Thank you all SO MUCH! Though I am beyond thrilled to win the coveted Mug ("About time!" commented the nephew), what's an even greater treasure is the humor, support, friendly competition, and camaraderie that is so plentiful here on the Muggle Forum.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
PJM

Post by PJM »

Congrats to Wendy! Glad to see the mug come here to the Greater Philly area.

After not finding anything for a good while, I landed on CRAYOLAS:

CRAY from "CARY" TIDS
and LAS from PASTOR "ALS"

Oh yes, you have to AD(D) AN "O" from ADANO
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I never got close to this one, spending too much time on PASTORAL, PASTEL, ANDORRA, ADANO, etc. And then there were the other rabbit holes already mentioned. Still this was a very clever meta and I enjoyed the chase.

How about a shoutout to Mike? He crafted a very nice meta, but how about the grid itself. Fourteen seven-letter words, two nine-letter words, four eight-letter downs. Very few obscure names or crossword glue. And he had to get all those ELs into the grid in order.

Yay, Mike.
Jack Sullivan
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Streroto wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 pm
SusieG wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:47 pm This would have been a perfect grid to put into The Joe Ross Excel file. I was too lazy to get my laptop out, so instead I floundered until he explained it to me. I guessed that it would be some sort of “models” after seeing NUDE in the bottom left corner, and given the title. I also knew PASTELS was a clue, but was sure I needed to find the color names. Is GUAVA a pastel?

I was happy to have CARYATIDS in my back pocket. They have fascinated me for a long time (I had an archaeology obsession in middle school).
I actually found four references to color, it was down that rabbit hole for a very long time. Amarillo is Spanish for yellow, tangelo is orange, guava pink, and Congo red is a stain used in pathology. I had not thought of nude as a color, but I guess that’s right. I was looking for pastel colors however.
Yes, Amarillo was the only one I for sure felt was a color. I tried to use the fruits, as well. As for nude, I was referring to the models.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:38 pm Thank you all SO MUCH! Though I am beyond thrilled to win the coveted Mug ("About time!" commented the nephew), what's an even greater treasure is the humor, support, friendly competition, and camaraderie that is so plentiful here on the Muggle Forum.
Congrats!!!!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Well done, Wendy!

Now you can start working to become a double mug winner.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wendy got mugged - YAY!!!!

(wait, that doesn't sound right...)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Congrats!

I couldn't figure this one out for the life of me.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Congratulations, Wendy!
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Hearty congratulations, Wendy! It's gratifying and encouraging to see a Muggle win! :D
jag

Post by jag »

Wow, I was nowhere close on this one!
I saw a broken "RAPHAEL" in the upper left, and then tried to figure out how to map tANGELO to MICHELANGELO somehow and bosWELL to (Norman) ROCKWELL.
Clearly that was not a fruitful track!
Congrats to those who solved this one.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

First of all congrats to Wendy, who shares my birthday (September 6). Way to go, girl!
Count me on team Raphael, backwards, Crayola.
Special kudus to those sharp eye spotting torso in upper NW and nude in far lower SW.
NUDES was going to be my Hail Mary til I waved the white flag to said birthday friend. They have their backs drawn (along with other body parts), as do all life models.
And isn’t a caryatid an example of a life model?
Thanks to Mike for including pastorals. It prompted me to listen to my favorite Beethoven symphony, the 6th, called The Pastoral.
Here’s an appropriate tribute to a famous nude

La Grand Odalisque
1814 by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
Hangs in the Louvre.
3365F243-9FB8-4D51-8CC9-530B8C92A03C.jpeg
Also has hung in my house for 25 years.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

WendyChamp.png