"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Would like the link also.
this'
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Towed ashore with so much help that it was almost necessary to send the actual answer. I'm swimming back to the boat, ashamed and beaten again by a clever puzzle.
JustAQuickThought
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

The link would be great. My weekend has involved building patio furniture for my new deck and this puzzle. Only one of the two are complete. I'm just drained...
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

It appears I’ll be at the bar for the remainder of the evening.
ReB

Post by ReB »

I think I'm ashore after the getting the past contest references from Joe - still took me several fruitless trials before getting an AHA moment that at least produced something that wasn't gibberish.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Stubing, take back the 33-across. I'm off in search of Isaac and 5-down.
Another week asea, is Admiral Shenk's task for me.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I am on shore, though I'm not sure it's the right shore, and I have submitted an answer. Doesn't matter to me at all this weekend, though. I have had way too much fun helping our granddaughter celebrate her second birthday. This afternoon we played with Bitty Baby for almost two hours!
Sara
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

ReB wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 pm I think I'm ashore after the getting the past contest references from Joe - still took me several fruitless trials before getting an AHA moment that at least produced something that wasn't gibberish.
Me too! With the puzzle references, I was able to take a less complex route than the one I had gone down and am finally ashore. Now, time for some apple crisp, an Irish coffee and some final season binge-watching of Schitt's Creek. :D ps. won't be submitting, but will give myself a gold star
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:30 pm There are (at minimum) 2 past WSJ Contest Crosswords that use a very similar mechanism. Seeing their solutions will solve this puzzle's meta.

Post within this topic that you wish to receive both puzzle's titles & their publication dates and you will, via PM.

[EDIT: If you've submitted your answer, send it via PM & I will reply with the two puzzles.]

Need nudge
Hector

Post by Hector »

Funny how just having a birder acquaintance makes you more excited about sightings. In Golden Gate Park this afternoon we saw tons of coots and a solitary snowy egret. I guess the white coloring makes them hard to see for fish against the daytime sky? They sure are salient from land.

Plus crazily casual racoons. My photos continue to get rejected as too big but here's a recent published one taken on the same path: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 591893.php

And LadyBird congrats to your niece; it's been hard to see life milestones happening in these strained circumstances but also energizing.
LadyBird wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 am I am ashore! I'll save my drink for this evening--a glass of champagne at my niece's wedding.

I still have hours to go in this car ride to southern Indiana. Fortunately, KayW suggested another meta for me to try.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 pm Funny how just having a birder acquaintance makes you more excited about sightings. In Golden Gate Park this afternoon we saw tons of coots and a solitary snowy egret. I guess the white coloring makes them hard to see for fish against the daytime sky? They sure are salient from land.

Plus crazily casual racoons. My photos continue to get rejected as too big but here's a recent published one taken on the same path: Image

And LadyBird congrats to your niece; it's been hard to see life milestones happening in these strained circumstances but also energizing.
LadyBird wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 am I am ashore! I'll save my drink for this evening--a glass of champagne at my niece's wedding.

I still have hours to go in this car ride to southern Indiana. Fortunately, KayW suggested another meta for me to try.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

With a nudge I’m on shore...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hector wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 pm
Plus crazily casual racoons. My photos continue to get rejected as too big but here's a recent published one taken on the same path: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 591893.php
I've had that problem as well. I found an app that decreases the size of the pic (Lit Photo in my case). My only problem is that I can never remember the size it needs to get down to so I usually have to try it a few times.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Richard wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:00 pm Would like the link also.
this'
Nice polar bear picture - Churchill or Svalbard?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report has 20 on the ship with Isaac and 114 on the shore

Emerging to the ship's bar are
Janet
Bird Lives
streroto
Commodore
Jeremy
and MileHighSolver

And getting to shore sometimes requiring some resuscitation are
the Thurman8er
edot
PJM
Nalugirl
RichA2
alan H
phofer
Patty
norrin2
Gman
JAQT
Hidden in 3D
bskptkl
Jean
hunkra
RdB
and NDStegs

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Clever one. Way too many wabbit wholes.....Grey Goose Martini with a lemon twist.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well that's the closest I've ever cut it. I was sure my streak was ending, but not this week, Mr. Shenk.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I was towed to shore. I’m sitting next to the tiki bar — easy to recognize, wearing a dunce cap. Good luck to those of you who figured it out!
boharr

Post by boharr »

SusieG wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:18 pm I was towed to shore. I’m sitting next to the tiki bar — easy to recognize, wearing a dunce cap. Good luck to those of you who figured it out!
Many of us have taken a turn wearing that dunce cap. They keep it behind the bar.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Hector wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:34 pm
Sometimes when raccoons or skunks get close to humans it’s because they’re rabid.