Variations on a theme

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
elementary

Post by elementary »

I see (what I think to be) the first step but after many rabbit holes I still don't know where to go next. Can anyone give me a nudge?

Edit: got it, thank you to those who nudged me along!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Didn't get copy of the special puzzle until this morning.
Workdays and metas do not go together!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Eureka! Just got it.

I started yesterday afternoon, some slow and steady progress initially, then dead in the water. Time in the garden this afternoon, then had a new idea to try while I was in the shower. THAT didn’t work out either, but it just must have shaken things loose enough so that I could see what to do next!

I was one of the ones discouraged by the “need to be a subscriber” message, so I missed the live session last week, but enjoyed watching the recording later! Will try to get in on the live one hopefully this week!
Meg

Post by Meg »

BethA wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 pm Eureka! Just got it.

I started yesterday afternoon, some slow and steady progress initially, then dead in the water. Time in the garden this afternoon, then had a new idea to try while I was in the shower. THAT didn’t work out either, but it just must have shaken things loose enough so that I could see what to do next!

I was one of the ones discouraged by the “need to be a subscriber” message, so I missed the live session last week, but enjoyed watching the recording later! Will try to get in on the live one hopefully this week!
I subscribed for 2 months. Cost $1.00. I thought those 3 guys were worth a buck.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm Oh, that was so much fun! Thank you, Matt!
I think we have Mike to thank for this one, Wendy!

I enjoyed that very much, but maybe only after I solved it! I didn't get to it until about an hour ago. I was grateful for the diversion on a non-holiday Monday!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Done and Done with no hissing from me or my tires. Always nice to find the 100% beach, when you can!
Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

sanmilton wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:48 pm Oh, that was so much fun! Thank you, Matt!
I think we have Mike to thank for this one, Wendy!

You are right, thanks! It is of course by Mike Shenk. I had Matt's "Where's the Rest?" on top of my clipboard for ready reference in today's postmortem discussion.
I just watched the presentation and can't wait for this Thursday's chat!
WLW.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MMac

Post by MMac »

Tricky, clever, elegant, and impressive. Solving a puzzle like this makes me feel like Nicolas Cage (in “National Treasure”, of course).
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Looked at it some more and I do have it now. It's something that was one of my initial off-the-cuff answers but as I didn't see a typical path toward it, I discarded it too quickly. But definitely an appropriate answer, with a good mechanism and route after all. And I think too that I understand the reasoning for this kind of puzzle.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

It took a while but I figured it out.
Good puzzle!
spotter

Post by spotter »

I've managed to solve this one! Thanks Joe Ross for sharing the puzzle. I didn't realize until today that I was able to get my hands on it without being a plus subscriber.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Funny story - my GF hates crossword puzzles with a passion but likes puzzles in general. She has been intrigued by watching me do the WSJCC puzzle - mainly because she finds it amusing when I throw things. But a few weeks ago I showed her a couple completed grids for some easier puzzles that I was able to solve. She wasn’t able to solve them. However, I came home today and she had dug this puzzle out of the trash in my office - and amazingly solved it. I found that funny because I didn’t solve it and because the only notes I had on it other than the complete grid were all wrong. So I may end up with an in-house solving partner for future WSJCC (although I really want to at least try it on my own). The downside is - she is WAY smarter than me so I might have to live with some Thur/Fri gloating!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

I am completely lost at sea on this one. Repeated sessions of staring at the grid produce no progress.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Got it. With 26 hours to spare!
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

Took me a long time to find everyone here in the Acapulco Lounge. And I was also searching for the bonus puzzle after hearing about it on the livestream. Also took longer to fill out the grid than to solve the meta.

But I did it!

So to recap, chronologically:
1: Find bonus puzzle.
2: Solve the grid.
3: Solve the meta.
4: Find the Acapulco Lounge.

In order of difficulty:
1. Solve the meta.
2. Solve the grid.
3. Find bonus puzzle.
4. Find Acapulco Lounge.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally got it!
Heidi
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I got it! One of my first totally unassisted solves...
KscX

Post by KscX »

Who will pm with me to check my approaches? I have some coincidences but nothing that I think is super-solid...
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

One last try before going to bed proves to be the charm!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I believe I solved after a few rabbit holes! I sent in an answer, then woke up with a new tactic and voila! What happens if you send in a wrong answer and later, a correct answer?