"Where's The Rest?" - September 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Kaille wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Kaille wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm Image
Can you identify this plumage, LadyBird?
Hi 🙂

This mural is in Denver and was painted by a local artist named Kelsey Monague. She has fabulous murals like this all over the country/world.

Oops, edited to say that I just realized you weren't talking to me, but rather a board member named LadyBird, lol.

Sorry!
Interesting to hear about the artist--and it is a wonderful picture. . It sounds like she wasn't the artist in Grand Rapids that we saw during Art Prize though.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

LesY wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:17 am
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:58 am
AnswerPfinder wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 pm Thank you all for the kind words and helpful feedback! I really loved reading these comments!

I will usually opt for the "# of letters" style prompt when there are X number of items in the puzzle that each lend a letter to the answer. For example, last week with Leonard's puzzle, I recommended this type of prompt because there were 4 "subthemers" that each provided a letter of the answer. Same sort of situation this week. However, I never considered "a 3-letter word" for Geography Quiz since there were not 3 theme entries that each lent a letter - you had to complete the group of terms with letters outside of the puzzle. I have no clue if Shenk or Gaffney use these guidelines, but I suspect they might, given last week's WSJ prompt. Please let me know what they say if they answer that question! I unfortunately cannot attend either webinar.

Cheers!
I often wonder if puzzle constructors read the comments here looking for “rules” they can break in a meta.

This comment was posted Wednesday on Will’s Weekly Meta topic, and then Thursday’s WSJ called for a 4 letter answer but had 5 theme entries! That has to be coincidence, right? I have no idea what the lead time is for publishing a puzzle in a newspaper, but it has to be more than one day?

Unless maybe it was just a small change to what was already planned?

Well, either way. Amazing how the universe works, or amazing how Matt & Mike work.
Is it possible they're trying to HAY(S) the new guy? (jk - I'm sure it's a coincidence; just wanted to use the pun)
Normally, I'm firmly against haysing (love the pun!). But in this case, bring it on!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm YourPalSal began hosting Muggle Zoom meetings a few weeks ago, and they are a blast. We've been getting around 20 participants a week, and generally discuss the crossword puzzles of the week, quickly digressing into any number of other interesting topics. Whether you are a veteran Muggle or new to the site, it's a great way to meet lots of other members and put names and voices to avatars. The call occurs Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. Eastern (4:30 p.m. Pacific) and lasts about an hour and a quarter. The Zoom link information is below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093

Hope to see you there!

This week's puzzle was colorful and sure to spark some interesting conversation!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Kaille wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Kaille wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm Image
Can you identify this plumage, LadyBird?
Hi 🙂

This mural is in Denver and was painted by a local artist named Kelsey Monague. She has fabulous murals like this all over the country/world.

Oops, edited to say that I just realized you weren't talking to me, but rather a board member named LadyBird, lol.

Sorry!
It was rude if me not to ask you, Kaille, but LadyBird & other muggles are strong birders. I apologize!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Peter Abide
I just watched the weather and it looks like Biloxi is getting clobbered by the hurricane.

Stay safe and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Same for any muggles on the Gulf coast.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bob, certain you know this, but I like to type. This zebra visual effect is seen by evolutionary biologists as the whole point of zebra striping: predators' vision gets confused and frequently can't single out a zebra so as to know how to attack it. An individual zebra's markings are effective that way to the extent that they match the others, and so it is evolutionarily stable -- polka dot or plaid zebras produce few offspring. Scientists still working on the adaptive function of crosswords; not looking good.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Hector wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 pm Bob, certain you know this, but I like to type. This zebra visual effect is seen by evolutionary biologists as the whole point of zebra striping: predators' vision gets confused and frequently can't single out a zebra so as to know how to attack it. An individual zebra's markings are effective that way to the extent that they match the others, and so it is evolutionarily stable -- polka dot or plaid zebras produce few offspring. Scientists still working on the adaptive function of crosswords; not looking good.
two heads are better than one, said the two-headed zebra.

Your logo says you're from SF. Tie-dye is the color of choice [sic] in that neighborhood. It is as easy to blend in among the herd on the Serengeti as it is at a Grateful Dead concert. Either way, you're not as concealed as you might think.

Is tie dye really a color?
Rufus T. Firefly
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:24 am Solved at 3:00 AM. Fortunately while I was sleeping! I will elaborate on Monday.
After all the responses posted after the reveal I almost decided not to post this, but I promised so here goes.

I had originally typed that I solved this after catching some "Z's". I did not intend to give such a big clue at all and, luckily, caught myself before submitting. I have learned to ALWAYS do a preview.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:53 pm Did everyone hear the forehead slap?

I just figured out the REAL answer! I kept reading the comments and realized that my original answer was not elegant, did not click and did not make me laugh! I am 100% now.

It is an awesome feeling when the elegant answer clicks and makes you chuckle. Almost worth the angst created by the process!

Even more from me on Monday!
Second promise: I had included a picture of Homer Simpson complete with the D'OH caption in this post. At the last second realized that it would have been an even bigger clue.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

When I started the puzzle on Friday, I noticed the BRIE but my google search led me to believe that it was the correct plural. I had completely forgotten about it when I picked it back up on Sunday and found the other four theme answers. I also assumed that there would only be four since the answer was four letters, but it wasn't making sense. So I decided to take a look at the clues, and realized the second step theme answers all had one word clues. There was only one other one word clue that I didn't have on my list which was Wind, and that's when I realized that fit the theme too and went back to BRIE and got the answer.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 pm Second promise: I had included a picture of Homer Simpson complete with the D'OH caption in this post. At the last second realized that it would have been an even bigger clue.
The prompt specifying a 4-letter answer was the only thing that kept me from submitting GO "DUH."
boharr

Post by boharr »

EmilyW wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:18 pm When I started the puzzle on Friday, I noticed the BRIE but my google search led me to believe that it was the correct plural. I had completely forgotten about it when I picked it back up on Sunday and found the other four theme answers. I also assumed that there would only be four since the answer was four letters, but it wasn't making sense. So I decided to take a look at the clues, and realized the second step theme answers all had one word clues. There was only one other one word clue that I didn't have on my list which was Wind, and that's when I realized that fit the theme too and went back to BRIE and got the answer.
I too hesitated at BRIE, thinking at first it was being used as a collective noun. And I've never heard anyone say BRIES. But then BOO and RAY made me go back and reconsider. No matter what their uniforms may look like, I'd never heard anyone call them the RAY. I also began with RAISE before the Z's won out. And the one-word clues were also a help.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:24 pm Who else tried quires for (choir)? That section of grid didn’t yield anything. I even made sure quirze wasn’t a word when I realized the others ended in ‘Ze’.
Before I decided to stick with DOZE I looked for something like REST in the grid, figuring there should be a synonym for DOUGH+S in there like there was for the others. I also looked for possible +S homophones in the grid; outside of choir there was also BACH, but no SPAR to be found, nor does it make a z-sound when you turn it into "box".
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I submitted DOZE as an educated guess, with nothing to lose (LOOZE??). I saw most of the first (homonym) step like BOO(s)->BOOZE, but like many others, was thrown off the track by websites telling me that BRIE is an uncountable quantity such that the plural of BRIE is also BRIE. So, having what I thought was the requisite four words, and able to justify the exclusion of BRIE, I never got to the next step.

I came up with DOZE looking for four-letter synonyms of nap and rest, and when I saw the ZE ending to DOZE I went with it.

Congrats to all who actually solved this one.

Best,
JAQT
JustAQuickThought
Abide

Post by Abide »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm Peter Abide
I just watched the weather and it looks like Biloxi is getting clobbered by the hurricane.

Stay safe and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Same for any muggles on the Gulf coast.
Not much more than a light sprinkle at present. Every update seems to be better for our particular area. One upside to hurricane prep are the pre-game meals; here's my lunch:
IMG_4653.jpeg
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
TPS

Post by TPS »

JAQT wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm
I came up with DOZE looking for four-letter synonyms of nap and rest, and when I saw the ZE ending to DOZE I went with it.
Kudos, this is the smartest way to the solution that I have seen! It cuts out all the painful steps.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Had house guests over the weekend, never got to look at the meta. Darn good thing. There's no telling how much time would have fumed fruitlessly out the tailpipe. Difficulty rating? Heck, I'd need scientific notation.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Has anyone figured out how to access the Bonus Meta for Thursday's WSJ Q&A? I just keep clicking links that take me to other pages that say "Download the crossword", but there's never a link to actually get TO the crossword...

Here is the URL Matt posted last night:
https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/wsj-cro ... Id=7vo5b54
TPS

Post by TPS »

anjhinz wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 pm Has anyone figured out how to access the Bonus Meta for Thursday's WSJ Q&A? I just keep clicking links that take me to other pages that say "Download the crossword", but there's never a link to actually get TO the crossword...
There is a link to it in the Acapulco Lounge on this board under its title - Variations on a Theme.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

anjhinz wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:55 pm Has anyone figured out how to access the Bonus Meta for Thursday's WSJ Q&A? I just keep clicking links that take me to other pages that say "Download the crossword", but there's never a link to actually get TO the crossword...

Here is the URL Matt posted last night:
https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/wsj-cro ... Id=7vo5b54
HERE

HERE

HERE

and here:
WSJplusCC Part 2 Variations on a Theme due NOON Sept 17th 2.gif

It seems that WSJ Puzzles has screwed up their website, again, without putting thought, testing, nor user feedback before making wholesale changes. Bob, you may not have to post there weekly. It seems the "Conversations" have been eliminated. The past Conversations have been, anyway.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!