"Where's The Rest?" - September 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am
Kas wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:36 pm Hello Muggles! Just saying hi. Haven't actually started the puzzle yet, so I wanted to just bask in my groundless optimism for a minute...lol.
Legends who have a standard named after them have the right to do things on their own pace
Hah! What's the saying, "...a legend...in my own mind." LOL! Regardless, most happy to report that I am indeed on shore!! Woot!!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Kas wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:35 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 am
Kas wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:36 pm Hello Muggles! Just saying hi. Haven't actually started the puzzle yet, so I wanted to just bask in my groundless optimism for a minute...lol.
Legends who have a standard named after them have the right to do things on their own pace
Hah! What's the saying, "...a legend...in my own mind." LOL! Regardless, most happy to report that I am indeed on shore!! Woot!!
Kas 3 !!! Great!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

TPS wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

A good starter puzzle IMO (and I am newish to these myself) would be something like APP DEVELOPER or KT OLSIN then maybe try a JEFFERSON AIRPLANE. I would show a new solver a PGW puzzle as a starter before this puzzle.
APP DEVELOPER was my very first solve, followed by JEFFERSON AIRPLANE! And then I soon got walloped by ADOBE, but I was hooked by then. :D
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

On shore! With the help of a little nudge. Kahlua and cream for me, as it is nightcap time.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ashore (I think). I need some grog for the end of the slog.
I'm very impressed with everyone who power swam to shore on Thursday. And special thanks to Wendy for reading thru my 12 rabbit holes and saying you don't have anything even close! It's hard to get unstuck from ideas that seem more meaningful than coincidental. Or a puzzle that has way too many coincidences.
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

I have a five-letter noun???
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

Shoosh, finally ashore... Very cute meta.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

FrancesY wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:54 pm I have a five-letter noun???
Similar problem here. Although 'All Things Considered', that may not be a bad thing for a Gaffney puzzle.
On the other hand, it may be awful.
Thought I had identified a step of unknown number before start of grid fill. Saw a step one while filling the grid.
Tried to follow the adage "When you come the fork in the road, take it". Results are not making sense.
LAS
FrancesY

Post by FrancesY »

I took it and got it.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

I believe I have two correct steps but cant seem take another one to a definitive conclusion. I also have a plausible answer which fits the pattern but doesn't really arise from the grid itself. Going to sit on it for a few more hours and hope for enlightenment.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

No clue here. Looks like my 2 week streak is in jeopardy.
boharr

Post by boharr »

mitchel674 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:31 am No clue here. Looks like my 2 week streak is in jeopardy.
You'll get it.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Followed lots of steps and am now safely on shore. I usually get these promptly or not at all, so this one was unusual in that it came to me slowly over a couple of days.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Trex is great stuff. Spoken by someone with a wooden deck with peeling paint that badly needs power washing!
We have redone our deck in Maine and our back steps in Massachusetts with Trex (or the HD equivalent). Easy to work with and very durable. But not cheap.
All of the above (especially the not cheap part), but also add not available anywhere right now. Glad I got my planking last month. There is NOTHING available right now. Something to do with everyone at home doing projects. I was already doing that before the corona scare. I am working more in retirement than I ever did. Good thing generic motrin is cheap.
Agree with the availability. That and pressure treated of any size.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

LaceyK wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm Ashore (I think). I need some grog for the end of the slog.
I'm very impressed with everyone who power swam to shore on Thursday. And special thanks to Wendy for reading thru my 12 rabbit holes and saying you don't have anything even close! It's hard to get unstuck from ideas that seem more meaningful than coincidental. Or a puzzle that has way too many coincidences.
I felt bad having to give a thumbs down on your creative strategies!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LaceyK wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 pm Ashore (I think). I need some grog for the end of the slog.
I hope that either Monday or on the Tuesday zoom call you go through all the rabbit holes. I am sure that you were not along in any of them.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Safely ashore! Got stuck DEEP in two rabbit holes, but with a nudge out of the holes, sprinted to the finish! A brilliant and fun puzzle, despite the long dwell time in the holes.
ClayD

Post by ClayD »

JennyByrd wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:41 am Followed lots of steps and am now safely on shore. I usually get these promptly or not at all, so this one was unusual in that it came to me slowly over a couple of days.
Ashore, and that was my experience as well. Went back a few times until it slowly came together
Hawx

Post by Hawx »

I’m in need of a nudge. I have the first step and even have a guess for the answer but I can’t justify it yet.

Edit: a furious paddle and generous tailwind brought me quickly to shore!
Last edited by Hawx on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore.

Too early to have a drink, something later I guess.

Turns out I did not have all of the first two steps. Figured it out laying in bed this morning.

Richard