"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SilviaV wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:46 pmOn shore!
Welcome to the clan and good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 am
So now we test how many lines are allowed in a comment as our shore party is:
And aren’t you glad you’re not doing this on the WSJ site, 1000 characters at a time.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Ashore! I used to work about 100 miles south (OK, SW) of there, but I don't think that made any difference in "seeing" the answer.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Jacksull wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am Re 3D:

Born in NYC to Irish immigrants.

Graduate of Scottsdale (AZ) High School.

Three Cy Young Awards, four Gold Gloves.

Jockey Shorts model.
The latter is the only thing I knew about him!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Amy

Post by Amy »

Ashore!
Nice to have a change of scenery. 😊
BethA

Post by BethA »

My freshman year college roommate admired 3D, and posted his underwear ad on the wall!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Fun one. Ashore. I’ll take a Grey Goose screwdriver.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:32 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 am
So now we test how many lines are allowed in a comment as our shore party is:
And aren’t you glad you’re not doing this on the WSJ site, 1000 characters at a time.
Absolutely
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BethA wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm My freshman year college roommate admired 3D, and posted his underwear ad on the wall!
And what did you do?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:14 pm
BethA wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm My freshman year college roommate admired 3D, and posted his underwear ad on the wall!
And what did you do?
Oh, I’m easy to get along with...I could put up with it. I didn’t tear it down or draw mustaches on it or anything! 😀
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:57 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:52 am Well DARN, that took WAY longer than I thought it would. I was feeling super inadequate since most of the immediate world had solved it and I keep getting stuck with bigger and bigger rabbits, FINALLY it occurred to me what was going on and from there it was a quick swim towards shore. I'm not actually coming onto the beach, FAR too may people for social distancing, but if you would kindly float out a double of Weller's 12 year on the rocks I will gladly yell bon mots back and forth from my inflatable raft.
With you gone, Isaac just closed the bar on the ship
Yeah, that has happened before....still when I move to a neighborhood new places open up so...KARMA?? (which I am not allowed to drive after a double Wellers for fear I'll run over someone's dogma).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this is already posted, but...

For those of you who were a little saddened to get to shore so quickly (not me) and haven't seen it, Patrick Berry's Saturday puzzle is pretty fun to fill in some fun solving time.

https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2020/09/04 ... ptember-5/
Rufus T. Firefly
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

So glad to be back here! Just finished my third week of teaching second grade virtually, and every day a new challenge arises! Unfortunately, that means my crossword time has been limited, to say the least! But it is a long weekend, and I'm taking today for myself. I'm pleased to say that I have made it to shore, and I will have a mint julep to enjoy as I watch the Kentucky Derby.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

PQ63 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:06 pm Fun one. Ashore. I’ll take a Grey Goose screwdriver.
Then again, make it a Mint Julep!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

cbarbee002 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:16 pm
bhamren wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm On the beach - I think it will be quite crowded!

Buffalo Trace neat, please (if you can find it)!

Speaking of Buffalo Trace, here in Ohio it is VERY hard to find. Most stores get one case maybe once a month. Then a year ago I went up near Winnipeg for my brother in law’s 50th birthday. The liquor store in Steinbach Manitoba (which didn’t exist when I lived there 16 years ago because it was a dry town), had a large shelf full of it as well as little airline bottles of it. What gives?
All of the Buffalo Trace distillery bourbons are difficult to find (Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Rare Eagle, Michters). Fortunately (or unfortunately), in PA the state owns all of the liquor stores (State stores we call them), which makes the Commonwealth of PA the largest purchaser of wine and liquor in the US. the downside is that, well, it's state run. The upside is that they get ample allocations of lots of usually hard-to-find wines and spirits. When the pandemic hit, I had to get several bottles of each of the brands mentioned above because, hey, the state stores were going to close down and who knew when they would reopen?
I am not a Bourbon drinker but we were shopping for bourbon to have for a house guest. Our local wine and spirits purveyor suggested McAfee Benchmark Old No. 8 Brand, allegedly from the Buffalo Trace people. It's super reasonable as well. BT is impossible in SC as well. The guest, a huge bourbon fan, loved it. So it's a thought for those of you in the hunt.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:44 pm Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this is already posted, but...

For those of you who were a little saddened to get to shore so quickly (not me) and haven't seen it, Patrick Berry's Saturday puzzle is pretty fun to fill in some fun solving time.

https://blogs.wsj.com/puzzle/2020/09/04 ... ptember-5/
Solved that one today. So fun!
Heidi
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

On shore and without even a nudge (which probably means it was on the easier side). But a bit sad to leave my good friend Issac without my usual company, particularly for a three-day weekend.
JustAQuickThought
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

Ashore!
It feels good after having a long dry spell.
nkumar

Post by nkumar »

I've been trying these for months and haven't gotten one yet. I was thrilled because i found a city name, but it's a lot longer than 5 letters! :-(
Gman

Post by Gman »

On shore. Fun and quick.