"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Hello all! I am a brand new member that has been quietly watching the board for a while, but waited to join up until I finally reached the shore on a puzzle (which I just did!). I gotta say, it feels good to be on shore for a change! Off to the brewery to get the weekend started!
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Did the grid, then went back to grabbing baseball play-by-play data--you know, just like the rest of you. Something kept gnawing at me, telling me I was missing the obvious. Five minutes of looking, and there it was. I'll have to wait until Sunday to celebrate my first time ashore in over a month with a delicious New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Happy Labor Day to all.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I am on shore! It's been a long cruise to get here, but I finally made it! Enjoyed the grid and the meta this week. Now if only I can do as well on the MMMM ...
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! Definitely struggled more than I should have, but happy to have the weekend free!
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore. Maybe an apple cider, please, since Labor Day signals fall for me.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

On shore.

Oh man, do I feel stupid. Wrote the answer down and proceeded to go down rabbit holes for 30 minutes before realizing it was right in front of me...I should've had some coffee before I started it!!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore. Very fun!
Martin

Post by Martin »

New Link.

Because some muggles prefer to solve in Across Lite and there's something going on with the fleetingimage site that has the pointer to it, I've created a new URL that will always point to the current Contest crossword. It's imaginatively called
http://herbach.dnsalias.com/wsj/contest.puz

A new one should be available at 4:09 PM ET Thursday. "Should be" covers a multitude of sins, by me or the WSJ.

I'll try to remember to repost this link in the new Puzzle Contest thread for a couple of weeks, but the link won't change so you can bookmark it now.

When you click it, there's no user interface; it just downloads the .puz file.
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

I’m ashore.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Ashore! Hooray!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Martin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:39 pm New Link.

Because some muggles prefer to solve in Across Lite and there's something going on with the fleetingimage site that has the pointer to it, I've created a new URL that will always point to the current Contest crossword. It's imaginatively called

A new one should be available at 4:09 PM ET Thursday. "Should be" covers a multitude of sins, by me or the WSJ.

I'll try to remember to repost this link in the new Puzzle Contest thread for a couple of weeks, but the link won't change so you can bookmark it now.

Thank you.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:04 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 pm Ashore for the second time in the last two months. Sorry Isaac, but I've tipped you plenty recently.

I'm predicting a large crowd at the tiki bar. Good thing the beach is enormous.

"Lilac rain, unbroken chain
Song of the saw-whet owl
Out on the mountain, it'll drive you insane
Listening to the winds howl"
How in the world did you know those lyrics to pull them up? I Googled them, of course. Now I'll have to see if my son-in-law, who is a bit of a Deadhead, knows about this.
Been to a few dead concerts. Here's another really good song that mentions a midnight owl (not saw-whet, though), from a great singer songwriter from maui, Willie K. Died of cancer this summer. I was lucky enough to see him live once. A very special artist. Shame more people don't know his work.

"Loving under a waterfall.
Hearing the owl's midnight call.
Whispers from the ocean shell.
Whispers only you and I can tell "

https://www.huapala.org/Y/You_Kuuipo.html
Rufus T. Firefly
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

A riptide or two getting to shore but once there
seems like It was just another leisurely swim.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Scott Lindholm wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:15 pm Did the grid, then went back to grabbing baseball play-by-play data--you know, just like the rest of you. Something kept gnawing at me, telling me I was missing the obvious. Five minutes of looking, and there it was. I'll have to wait until Sunday to celebrate my first time ashore in over a month with a delicious New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Happy Labor Day to all.
I've noticed you often mention Spotted Cow -- we toured and tasted at the brewery several years ago when our daughter was studying in Madison briefly -- great little place!
jag

Post by jag »

On shore, hooray! I'm dating myself, but I fondly remember watching 3-D play in many Orioles games in the 1970s and early 80s. It was a good time to be an Orioles fan! (unlike, say, nowadays)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Martin wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:39 pm New Link.

And it works with Puzzazz on my iPhone! Thank you!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I also imagine the beach will be crowded.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Ashore after two rough weeks. Happy Labor Day all.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Finally on shore after a months-long cold streak! Kickin back w a MI IPA
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore!