"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore - good to be there again early! We rowed equally and with speed topping the waves all the way.

Luck to all.......
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Ashore for the second time in the last two months. Sorry Isaac, but I've tipped you plenty recently.

I'm predicting a large crowd at the tiki bar. Good thing the beach is enormous.

"Lilac rain, unbroken chain
Song of the saw-whet owl
Out on the mountain, it'll drive you insane
Listening to the winds howl"
Rufus T. Firefly
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

To paraphrase Jaws, you're gonne need a bigger beach

I kept waiting for the .puz at FleetingImage, but just reading through the clues, esp. 68A, I had a good idea of what the mechanism would be. I wound up doing it on a piece of .5 cm graph paper not quite big enough for 15 rows.
Jay
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

On shore...thank you for a breather, Mike!
John77

Post by John77 »

Finally, after all these weeks!

On shore after a pleasant 30 minute swim.

Time for another delicious Tree House IPA. Have a good weekend.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

We could be going for an all time record. Contest has been out six hours and we have 102 on the shore. The record is 209 set May 23
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm We could be going for an all time record. Contest has been out six hours and we have 102 on the shore. The record is 209 set May 23
Was that Jefferson Airplane? Because I felt this was at that level of difficulty - maybe less. Somewhere between App Developer and JA. So my guess is the number would fall right around those.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

TPS wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 pm We could be going for an all time record. Contest has been out six hours and we have 102 on the shore. The record is 209 set May 23
Was that Jefferson Airplane? Because I felt this was at that level of difficulty - maybe less. Somewhere between App Developer and JA. So my guess is the number would fall right around those.
KT Oslin.

And if we are going for a record, include me as Ashore.
Miki

Post by Miki »

On Shore late because started past 10 PM. Busy evening...
Should I have that diet coke now?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Dragged ashore by a kind stranger because I just didn't see anything.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 pm
One False Note with the answer K R Oalin
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

I just arrived. Is there social distancing on this shore?
I am a man of few...
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

KRM wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm Started doing the WSJ contest puzzles about 2 months ago. Just could not get the meta for the first few weeks. And now this is the second consecutive week that I got the meta. Does that mean I am getting the hang of it? Or was this one just too easy?
Think of the Friday puzzle as a drug dealer --- you get a couple of hits for free, you get hooked, then you get owned. As hard as you try, you can't quit.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore - enjoyed the puzzle and meta. May go back into the water to stay cool. May you all have a fun and safe Labor Day weekend.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

It's official - - easiest meta this year because I solved on Friday - - never been on shore on a Friday night! Oops, Thursday!!! Make mine a margarita! Have a great weekend all! Weather looking positively perfect at the Jersey Shore this weekend!
Last edited by cbarbee002 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Sand between my toes. Between this and a week 1 MGWCC, this might be a low-key weekend.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Never mind
Last edited by BethA on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:35 pm Ashore for the second time in the last two months. Sorry Isaac, but I've tipped you plenty recently.

I'm predicting a large crowd at the tiki bar. Good thing the beach is enormous.

"Lilac rain, unbroken chain
Song of the saw-whet owl
Out on the mountain, it'll drive you insane
Listening to the winds howl"
How in the world did you know those lyrics to pull them up? I Googled them, of course. Now I'll have to see if my son-in-law, who is a bit of a Deadhead, knows about this.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

bhamren wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:53 pm On the beach - I think it will be quite crowded!

Buffalo Trace neat, please (if you can find it)!

Speaking of Buffalo Trace, here in Ohio it is VERY hard to find. Most stores get one case maybe once a month. Then a year ago I went up near Winnipeg for my brother in law’s 50th birthday. The liquor store in Steinbach Manitoba (which didn’t exist when I lived there 16 years ago because it was a dry town), had a large shelf full of it as well as little airline bottles of it. What gives?
All of the Buffalo Trace distillery bourbons are difficult to find (Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Rare Eagle, Michters). Fortunately (or unfortunately), in PA the state owns all of the liquor stores (State stores we call them), which makes the Commonwealth of PA the largest purchaser of wine and liquor in the US. the downside is that, well, it's state run. The upside is that they get ample allocations of lots of usually hard-to-find wines and spirits. When the pandemic hit, I had to get several bottles of each of the brands mentioned above because, hey, the state stores were going to close down and who knew when they would reopen?
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Ashore after three weeks on the boat. Grid: about ten minutes. Meta: under five. Only slowdown was that my handwriting is often awful in these grids, and one meta clue eluded me for a moment due to that.

THe mechanism was not what I originally expected it to be. Fairly easy but also well-made.

I do, however, agree with predictions of a very crowded shore.