"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

whimsy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:03 pm the "hint" didn't do much for me except make me wonder what it meant! :?
That was my experience last week! This week I was already over 50% of the way through the solve before I got to the clue.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

My first pre-weekend swim to shore! Very cool puzzle.
Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!
Gonna be a hot one here in So Cal. :o :o
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I’m ashore.

Feels like there are always people solving on Thursday and posting that it’s easy, but now I’m one of them so it actually must be.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Ashore, and agree with everyone who enjoyed it and had nice things to say.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore. I feel the mug.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Solved. First time this has happened in a while. Usually I do the grid on Thursday night and if I do not notice something immediately, I leave it until Sunday afternoon. This one jumped out at me.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Tony S wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:18 pm Ashore. Easiest meta ever and made even easier by 68a. After 3 tough metas this is the second easy one ---- I wonder if this is designed to keep solvers from getting too discouraged and losing interest. I predict over 2,000 entries this week.
I was thinking about how this would’ve gone without 68a. I think I would’ve gotten it anyway, but that's positivity bias.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:33 pm YourPalSal began hosting Muggle Zoom meetings a few weeks ago, and they are a blast. We've been getting around 20 participants a week, and generally discuss the crossword puzzles of the week, quickly digressing into any number of other interesting topics. Whether you are a veteran Muggle or new to the site, it's a great way to meet lots of other members and put names and voices to avatars. The call occurs Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. Eastern (4:30 p.m. Pacific) and lasts about an hour and a quarter. The Zoom link information is below:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093

Hope to see you there!

New solvers especially welcome on Tuesday!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm easily on shore, done with WSJ for this week, leaves time for Gaffney's week 4 (5?) tomorrow.
MGWCC will be week one. Welcome to September!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I got it. Relatively easy one.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

I'm marking my calendar. 8:28 on Thursday night and I am safely on shore. Is this the start of a new trend? 2 weeks in a row after 2 months of total frustration and not a single solution. Almost better than a mug--though that wouldn't hurt! Have a great Labor Day weekend, Muggles.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Cindy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:39 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm Solved. Finding the puzzle took longer than the meta! Now I have a German chocolate cake to bake.
I believe dry ice will help survive the journey to New York... One piece is enough; don't want to be greedy.
But if I send you a piece I have to send one to everyone. The shipping would be cost prohibitive. Spoken by a true accountant.
It is a beautiful thing. My husband and a neighbor share a birthday. So tomorrow night we are celebrating!
Nice try, though, Al.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I’m on the beach.

Well, no. I wish I were on a beach. We’ve had 50 days with high temps of 110F or above so far this year with more forecast this weekend. The pool has turned into a giant hot tub. Rainfall since April: less than a quarter of an inch. It’s almost too hot to play golf.
Jack Sullivan
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:31 pm I nearly sNORTed in disbelief wHEn I tuRNed to this forum and SAW that that we were already on page five! Could it be that overWHElmingly easy? If I have answered iT so quickly, then I knOW it must not be too compLex.

On shore. The line to the front of the tiki bar is really long, especially with this social distancing. Can someone from page 3 grab me a brandy old-fashioned?
I banded the Saw Whet Owls on their "migration" for 10 years. Besides learning a huge amount, I got some amazing pictures
Either release me or bring me a mouse to eat.JPG
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. Cute meta. The grid took significantly longer. Now what am I gonna do this weekend? More home improvement? Don't even have the pleasure of working on the meta while I do catfish and beer at the VFW. Guess I'll drink more beer.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Nice grid and meta and toweling off from a swim ashore. Golf, bags and boating with a few beverages ahead this weekend. Enjoy the holiday all.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Safely ashore!

Looking back over the puzzles that were rated one star, this is the third this year... with the other two being the weekend after New Year's, and Memorial Day weekend... so it appears the creators are being deliberately merciful!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:51 pm easily on shore, done with WSJ for this week, leaves time for Gaffney's week 4 (5?) tomorrow.
It's a week one.
Heidi
boharr

Post by boharr »

dk letter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:11 pm Safely ashore!

Looking back over the puzzles that were rated one star, this is the third this year... with the other two being the weekend after New Year's, and Memorial Day weekend... so it appears the creators are being deliberately merciful!
Do you do detective work? Could often use this kind of help.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Just back from 10days in sick bay. Negative C19 test, whew! Still.
Doc says a long weekend on the beach will be restorative.
Happy to be on the sand. Fun puzzle.