"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

On the beach.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Tony S wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:18 pm Ashore. Easiest meta ever and made even easier by 68a. After 3 tough metas this is the second easy one ---- I wonder if this is designed to keep solvers from getting too discouraged and losing interest. I predict over 2,000 entries this week.
Kind of like the slot machine that pays off a little bit just as you are about to give up...
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

damefox wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 pm Once again they have posted the puzzle in their daily crossword section instead of the crossword contest section...
Thank you! I didn’t see it on the Contest page and couldn’t figure out how everyone else had it! 😂😂😂
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On shore. Nice construction, Mike !
KRM

Post by KRM »

Started doing the WSJ contest puzzles about 2 months ago. Just could not get the meta for the first few weeks. And now this is the second consecutive week that I got the meta. Does that mean I am getting the hang of it? Or was this one just too easy?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KRM wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm Started doing the WSJ contest puzzles about 2 months ago. Just could not get the meta for the first few weeks. And now this is the second consecutive week that I got the meta. Does that mean I am getting the hang of it? Or was this one just too easy?
Both - stick around and time will tell

Welcome to the clan and good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
M and M

Post by M and M »

Slid peacefully across the finish line on this one, and enjoyed it. Rabbits were few on the ground this week - a nice break from all the rabbit-hunting we have been doing.
KRM

Post by KRM »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 pm
KRM wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm Started doing the WSJ contest puzzles about 2 months ago. Just could not get the meta for the first few weeks. And now this is the second consecutive week that I got the meta. Does that mean I am getting the hang of it? Or was this one just too easy?
Both - stick around and time will tell

Welcome to the clan and good luck
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Well done, KRM! We've had a run of genuinely tough puzzles, and the past two weeks have been a welcome end-of-summer break. I would NEVER say "too easy" because it is tempting the Meta Gods big time and they have VERY GOOD memories. You are definitely getting the hang of it!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Got it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm
LesY wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:46 pm Ashore and fun! Looks like a quick meta weekend, which is perfectly fine.

Enjoy the holiday and hopefully some great weather, Muggles!
It's going to be 110 degrees here in SoCal. I'll be huddled in the A/C all weekend.
Oh no, Heidi! Hope the heat breaks soon. It’s September for Pete’s sake.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Sorry to all those whose toes I stepped on trying to find a spot on the beach.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I think the only meta I’ve ever done that was as easy as this one of Matt’s where the Theme answers were Ping Pong, Sing Song, Ding Dong, and Bing Bong and the clue to the answer was a monster movie that fits the theme AND one of the answers was Ann Darrow.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

If I got it, anyone can. I am not "with that was so easy crowd", but with a little diligence, this was gettable, Feeling satisfied for once. Good luck all. M
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Page 5, already! Wowsers!

Safely and quickly on shore. I agree with those who may have preferred it without the hint, though not sure I'd be on the beach yet in that case. :?
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I nearly sNORTed in disbelief wHEn I tuRNed to this forum and SAW that that we were already on page five! Could it be that overWHElmingly easy? If I have answered iT so quickly, then I knOW it must not be too compLex.

On shore. The line to the front of the tiki bar is really long, especially with this social distancing. Can someone from page 3 grab me a brandy old-fashioned?
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Wow, maybe I'm learning to swim a little better, happy to join the party!
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Joining the beach crowd!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:37 pm
Cindy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:23 pm Solved. Finding the puzzle took longer than the meta! Now I have a German chocolate cake to bake.
I believe dry ice will help survive the journey to New York... One piece is enough; don't want to be greedy.
But if I send you a piece I have to send one to everyone. The shipping would be cost prohibitive. Spoken by a true accountant.
It is a beautiful thing. My husband and a neighbor share a birthday. So tomorrow night we are celebrating!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LesY wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:23 pm
hcbirker wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm
LesY wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:46 pm Ashore and fun! Looks like a quick meta weekend, which is perfectly fine.

Enjoy the holiday and hopefully some great weather, Muggles!
It's going to be 110 degrees here in SoCal. I'll be huddled in the A/C all weekend.
Oh no, Heidi! Hope the heat breaks soon. It’s September for Pete’s sake.
Here September can be our hottest month! Doesn't really cool down until mid-October.
Heidi