New Format for WSJ Crossword Puzzles??

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
M and M

New Format for WSJ Crossword Puzzles??

Post by M and M »

What's with the change in crossword format, with only one clue at a time showing? Did we know this was coming? And it simultaneously erased the grid in all prior puzzles - UGH!

Anybody have any insight into this? It looks like the crossword puzzle format from cell phones rather than a nice big screen version...

I'm hoping this is a mistake, and the negative comments at the WSJ site are already rolling in. So... who knows what's up?
damefox

Post by damefox »

If you adjust the zoom (zoom out) you can see the full list of clues, but only Across OR Down at one time, not both. Better than one at a time, but still bad. Agree this is not an improvement. It has always baffled me how the WSJ is so behind on technology. There is no shortage of perfectly decent online crossword apps, used for numerous mainstream and indie puzzles. How has the WSJ landed on this horrible interface, which was bad already and they've now made even worse??
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well as long as they're sticking with the very natural forward-slash to toggle across and down, and sending me zipping all over the grid unpredictably, I can deal.

/irony
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Are they also making it subscribers only? When I tried it in a browser that wasn't logged in, it would not even let me see the puzzle.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 pm Are they also making it subscribers only? When I tried it in a browser that wasn't logged in, it would not even let me see the puzzle.
I am not a subscriber and was unable to access/print the puzzle. I’m not interested in subscribing, but I would be willing to pay a fee for access to the puzzles only (NYT offers this option).

I’ll miss you guys😢😢
Jack Sullivan
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Looks like it might be subscribers only now. I can get it when logged in. When I click on it and am not logged in, it only gives me the subscription page.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jacksull wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:08 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 pm Are they also making it subscribers only? When I tried it in a browser that wasn't logged in, it would not even let me see the puzzle.
I am not a subscriber and was unable to access/print the puzzle. I’m not interested in subscribing, but I would be willing to pay a fee for access to the puzzles only (NYT offers this option).

I’ll miss you guys😢😢
It's pretty clear the current change is a work in progress, so don't count it out yet. I'm glad they're experimenting mid-week. Hope they'll have it fixed, or just go back to the old format, by Thursday.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

On another note, this happened once a few years ago and it was available again in a day or two
M and M

Post by M and M »

Jacksull wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:08 pm

I’ll miss you guys😢😢
Say it ain't so! We will miss you too!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I cannot print from iPad.
damefox

Post by damefox »

I was able to access it on my browser even though I'm not a subscriber, although it's possible there's a delay - right now I can access Monday's (today's) puzzle, but not Tuesday's puzzle, which was posted at 4pm today. Unclear what that means for the Friday contest.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I am a non-subscriber. All WSJ puzzles are available in Acrosslite from:
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

From Acrosslite, a puzzle can be emailed as a pdf if so desired. Acrosslite works on iPads.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Meg wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 pm I am a non-subscriber. All WSJ puzzles are available in Acrosslite from:
https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

From Acrosslite, a puzzle can be emailed as a pdf if so desired. Acrosslite works on iPads.
Acrosslite doesn't work on iPhones though. And Puzzazz works on phones but will not open the WSJ .puz files; it says, "At the request of the Wall Street Journal, this puzzle may only be solved in their app or on their website."

Is there an iPhone app that will work with the WSJ .puz files?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I went to my computer and I can print/solve any puzzle I want but I have to be logged into my subscription.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Somebody needs to talk to Mike Miller. Someone at wsj changed things without realizing the effects.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cindy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:13 pm Looks like it might be subscribers only now. I can get it when logged in. When I click on it and am not logged in, it only gives me the subscription page.
Me too.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I might have to become a capitalist.

Edit: looks like this source of .puz versions is still available to non-subscribers: https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html
Last edited by Hector on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALS

Post by ALS »

OMG. New format is awful. On my phone, I can't see the grid and even one clue at a time without scrolling.

On the computer, I can't see across and down clues at the same time.

The old system wasn't great, but this is horrendous.

ALS
damefox

Post by damefox »

Cindy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:13 pm Looks like it might be subscribers only now. I can get it when logged in. When I click on it and am not logged in, it only gives me the subscription page.
boharr wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:55 pm Me too.
See my post above, and check whether you can access some but not all of the puzzles. Right now I can access Monday's (today's) puzzle, but not Tuesday's puzzle, which was posted at 4pm today.
boharr

Post by boharr »

damefox wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:29 pm
boharr wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:55 pm Me too.
See my post above, and check whether you can access some but not all of the puzzles. Right now I can access Monday's (today's) puzzle, but not Tuesday's puzzle, which was posted at 4pm today.
I just went back to the WSJ. Not signed in, I can access the puzzles, including - now - Tuesday's (which I could not get earlier). I first get a box wanting me to subscribe; but once the box is dismissed, the puzzle shows up. Mind, I did not try making entries. But whatever they have done truly sucks. However, I did save the puzzle as a .pdf as before. That at least allows seeing all the clues. I hope they don't eliminate access to the .puz files.