What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:09 pm
The Detectorists -- a couple of guys using metal detectors to look for treasure (but no, not a documentary.) That might sound like watching paint dry and to some extent it is -- very slow and gentle. Maybe Mister Rogers for adults. The first 10 minutes I thought the characters must be losers -- they kind of reminded me of carnies. But that only served to chasten me that things can be more than what they seem, or my first assumptions. Ended up just loving them all, and looking to promote them.
Whimsey - totally agree, The Detectorists is the best! I generally tell people to watch at least two episodes before they decide if they like it or not. And with some people I warn them that it might seem like the show is making fun of them but that it is not.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Great to meet another fan, mkmf!
They do just kind of grow on you.
And a very satisfying ending to the series too!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

So is there anything else worth watching? I've got 29 more days. No kids, no interest in cartoons and such, and I've already seen Star Wars.
Have you seen The Greatest Showman? Lots of eye and ear candy; I liked it a lot.

I also watched Beyonce's Black is King. It's not really my kind of music but it was a curiosity and a few of the tunes were catchy.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm Finally signed up for a month of Disney so I could watch Hamilton. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I really enjoyed it.

Have you seen The Greatest Showman? Lots of eye and ear candy; I liked it a lot.

I also watched Beyonce's Black is King. It's not really my kind of music but it was a curiosity and a few of the tunes were catchy.
The Greatest Showman was the second thing I watched. (Disney apparently thought that was a good match for Hamilton too.) It was fun.

I'll add Black is King to my list.
KayW

Post by KayW »

For 24 hours starting at 5pm CDT Thursday 8/20, Lookingglass Theatre will stream a Chicago performance of Eastland: An Original Musical that was taped in 2012. I saw this production back then and really enjoyed it. It's about a 1915 boating tragedy that happened in downtown Chicago and claimed 800+ lives. The story is not widely known, even in Chicago.

https://lookingglasstheatre.org/event/e ... tch-party/

Lookingglass is doing this as a fundraiser, but you can stream free on youtube or facebook.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:04 pm

The Greatest Showman was the second thing I watched. (Disney apparently thought that was a good match for Hamilton too.) It was fun.

I'll add Black is King to my list.
BTW I'm not necessarily recommending it - I could never have sat still and just watched the entire video. It's essentially a 90-minute music video. I left it running in one window while I was doing other things on my computer. However, I'm not really a Beyonce fan...

And also BTW I was rather disappointed that it was Disney+ that got Hamilton. It does not seem like a good fit with the rest of their catalog, and like you I have little interest in most of the rest.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm
And also BTW I was rather disappointed that it was Disney+ that got Hamilton. It does not seem like a good fit with the rest of their catalog, and like you I have little interest in most of the rest.
I'd have happily paid $7 just to see Hamilton, even if it wasn't part of the subscription. So on a personal level, I don't really care if there's nothing else there worth watching. But it is odd that they would pay for and promote a show to draw in customers who are highly unlikely to want to stick around.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:20 am
KayW wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:58 pm
I'd have happily paid $7 just to see Hamilton, even if it wasn't part of the subscription. So on a personal level, I don't really care if there's nothing else there worth watching. But it is odd that they would pay for and promote a show to draw in customers who are highly unlikely to want to stick around.
My sentiments exactly. I've kept the subscription for a second month just to be able to re-watch. And I could easily subscribe for a few years without paying as much as I did to see Hamilton live, so it is quite a bargain!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Laura M wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.
I loved My So Called Life - that show had amazing potentially it just came out a decade too soon.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

TPS wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:34 pm
Laura M wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 pm Hi, I'm "I tried to watch My So-Called Life for the first time, but I gave up because Angela is a whiny brat and mean to her mom" years old.
I loved My So Called Life - that show had amazing potentially it just came out a decade too soon.
Oh, I've no doubt I would have loved this show if it had been around when I was a teenager! (It was a decade too late in my case.) I've heard about how groundbreaking it was and how so many people loved it, so I thought I'd give it a try. Really I intended to make fun of myself for being too old and out of touch to tap into my inner teen anymore... I apologize if it came off as critical of the show.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Laura M wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:22 pm I apologize if it came off as critical of the show.
No worries - I didn’t take your original post that way.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Watching our Creighton Bluejays back in action in basketball this afternoon, from the sofa, but in these time not at the game, but it’s great all the same!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Watching The Crown and not understanding why Elizabeth plays chess against her ceiling.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Did watch The Crown, not watching anything right now, but was just working on Adam Levine's The Queen's Gambit puzzle. :)

Your comment also reminded me of something else --
Capturequeenie.JPG
It's true -- one woman's ceiling is another woman's floor.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

There's a period in the morning when the light makes the exterior of a window on the west side of my house mirror, a few feet from a magnolia tree where blue jays nest.

I'm watching stupid birds. They don't scare me.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:42 pm There's a period in the morning when the light makes the exterior of a window on the west side of my house mirror, a few feet from a magnolia tree where blue jays nest.

I'm watching stupid birds. They don't scare me.
That is one fine microphone!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 pm I never did get around to The Sopranos, but I've been binge watching Nurse Jackie, which also Stars Edie Falco, and I'm loving that. Just my kind of dark humor / anti-hero (heroine in this case).
Nurse Jackie is a great show, esp. first four seasons.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Home Fires (British series about the home front during WW2)

Suits (ugh, but I can’t help myself)

Downton (same as above)

My Brilliant Friend (Elena Ferrante movie about growing up in immediate post war Italy)