"Less and Less" - August 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I've lost my mojo and can't seem to solve these anymore. Nudge anyone?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FKelly wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm
elan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 pm I'm ashore and wanted to note that the crossword has TWO shout-outs to the Upper Peninsula (9A & 58D).

I'm torn between local pride and wanting to say "hush." We prefer to remain unvisited.
Aw, the land with two seasons: winter and three months of rough sledding. The later is due to end, oooh perhaps, next week.

If you want avoid frostbite and get an idea of life in the land of the Lahti, Haataja, Halonen, Hillukka, Wiitanan and Mattila, here is a link to the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgGddM ... e=emb_logo

Da Yoopers were bit slow to add a music video (the wood powered video cam wasn't developed until 2013), so here's a version with some some of that twenty feet or so of white stuff being moved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
My friend who went to Michigan Tech said there was three seasons of winter: First came the snow season, then when the lake froze came the cold season, then as it started to melt came the mud season
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore, finally! Wow! Investigated many promising leads until I finally found the proper solution.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore. Learned something along the way.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am
FKelly wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm
elan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 pm I'm ashore and wanted to note that the crossword has TWO shout-outs to the Upper Peninsula (9A & 58D).

I'm torn between local pride and wanting to say "hush." We prefer to remain unvisited.
Aw, the land with two seasons: winter and three months of rough sledding. The later is due to end, oooh perhaps, next week.

If you want avoid frostbite and get an idea of life in the land of the Lahti, Haataja, Halonen, Hillukka, Wiitanan and Mattila, here is a link to the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgGddM ... e=emb_logo

Da Yoopers were bit slow to add a music video (the wood powered video cam wasn't developed until 2013), so here's a version with some some of that twenty feet or so of white stuff being moved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
My friend who went to Michigan Tech said there was three seasons of winter: First came the snow season, then when the lake froze came the cold season, then as it started to melt came the mud season
One of my daughter's friends went to Michigan Tech. One year, he said there was still snow (from the big snowdrifts) when he left for summer break.
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Onshore this morning. Took longer than it should have but isn't that always the case!
elementary

Post by elementary »

I took a few weeks off and it hasn't served me well. Can anyone offer a nudge?
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Ashore! That was a fun construction and nice “aha” moment. Too early for alcohol. How about a cold brew?
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

I feel like I'm missing something super obvious
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
I enjoyed this puzzle. It took me a while to see it, but it was great when I (finally) did.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Oh I just got it! I take back my earlier post. This might sound weird but it's not as obvious as I thought.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Onshore - delayed post-enlightenment strikes again! D'oh! Kudos, Mike!

edit 1: ...and I was so excited when I solved that I posted this in the "meta hints" forum which is where I was sitting when I solved. Now to figure out how to delete that post...

edit 2: Well. That was easy!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. I had the right idea from the beginning, but way overthought the approach. Had a short phone call and returned to the puzzle and saw the answer immediately. It's been a few weeks since I've gotten an answer. I never get around to saying that I am on the ship because at 11:59 p.m. on Sundays I have still been hoping for last minute inspiration.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:24 am Ashore!

Yet another case of me staring at the completed grid for much, much too long — though having some sense for what the puzzle might be looking for — then seeing the way to the answer in, literally, a flash. I mean, like, in mere seconds. So, yes, a nice “Aha!” — but also a definite “D’oh!”

I liked this puzzle. It’s the kind I’d use to explain to a newbie how meta crosswords work. (Sadly, the last couple of people I thought might like to latch on to these metas took in what I had to say, then had that sort of look that says, “Uhh ... I don’t think so.”)
" It’s the kind I’d use to explain to a newbie how meta crosswords work."

And here I am, waiting for Isaac to open the bar... guess I'm in the pre-newbie lounge for a while.
woozy

Post by woozy »

If you go down a rabbit hole....

*really* go down that hole.

I didn't see anything to nudge me in the right direction, but once you trip and fall in the right direction. You are *in* the right direction.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Toes in the sand like Barbra Streisand!

I probably spent 45 minutes staring at the completed grid without getting anywhere. So I set it aside for a couple of hours and had the meta solved within about 20 seconds of picking it back up. 8-)
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:24 am I liked this puzzle. It’s the kind I’d use to explain to a newbie how meta crosswords work.
I had the same thought. Showed it to my family as "Exhibit A" of what a meta crossword is.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore!

Had the right idea from the get-go but took a while to justify the correct (100%) answer. Mechanism has been used before and 'not a fan'.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Well, I finally got it, and as others have noted, great construction. I need to keep in mind a) haste makes waste, and b) a bridge 90% across the river is not a bridge at all. So in summary, I am not on the boat and since I submitted an incorrect answer, I am not on (the right) shore. On a side note: "glub glub glub gurgle!"
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:56 am Well, I finally got it, and as others have noted, great construction. I need to keep in mind a) haste makes waste, and b) a bridge 90% across the river is not a bridge at all. So in summary, I am not on the boat and since I submitted an incorrect answer, I am not on (the right) shore. On a side note: "glub glub glub gurgle!"
Yeah, I had part of the answer and then immediately thought; "Oh, it must be BLANK". But then shortly realized' "Wait a minute, it could also be BLANK". Both of which I would have counted as 100%'ers. Ultimately that's why I'm not a fan of the mech. Won't say more until Monday, but I am definitely on the right shore.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Less and Less confident I can get this one.
Light nudge, anyone?