"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

SeanS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:21 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:10 pm To borrow a few lines from 51A
Sean, fantastic band, saw them in 1981 or so, with Flock of Seagulls as the opening act.
WLW.
Jealous! I was born in '88 so I never got to see them live but I have a lot of fond memories of listening to the "Singles: 45's and Under" cassette tape in the third row of my parents' Suburban as a kid.
Gack, I listened to them -- on CD -- IN 1988 -- when I was in college...paint me as a geezer, I guess...
spotter

Post by spotter »

Looking at this for the first time since Friday and I finally found my way to the shore! It's been a nice weekend on the boat, but I'm ready for some beach time!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

whimsy wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:05 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:46 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:18 pm Has anyone on here done Escape Rooms? I had never done one but my GF and I were bored yesterday afternoon and we both mentioned we always wanted to but neither of us had so we went out and did one.

We completed it but not without a couple nudges - I mean the one we did was like the equivalent of solving 6 meta puzzles in an hour - I was impressed by my GF who says she is not a puzzle person but she figured out two of them like inside of 2 minutes.

But the thing I learned is there is a whole escape room community similar to this one except these people literally travel all over to try different escape rooms.
My nephew and his wife love doing Escape Rooms!
I did one, must have been almost 15 years ago, probably the first one in the Boston area and maybe pretty primitive by today's standards. It was with a group of about a dozen of us --- volunteers in a creative problem solving program for kids called Destination Imagination. We planned it as a bonding and burning off burnout experience after the intensity of the tournaments. (This Muggles group reminds me a lot of the folks involved in that -- clever, fun-loving and generous.) The room had an Egyptian/hieroglyphic theme, I remember.
When my kids were in grade school, I helped coach in z similar organization--Odyssey of the Mind. I can relate yo the burnout feeling!
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore! We had pretty much resigned ourselves to spending another Sunday night at sea with Isaac when our youngest team member proclaimed “Land Ho” and rowed us in to the beach. Once we had the solution in hand, we thought this was really a fun, well constructed puzzle quite appropriate for us in our hour of desperation. Cheers to all.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Great to be ashore! No liqueur for me though... think I’ll take a Stone IPA. Happy Sunday evening to all, and for anyone still trying to solve... stick at it! I almost gave up but then saw it.
One world. One planet. One future.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I would love to do an escape room---they seem so fun. Or a bar-room, or a classroom. None are on my dance card for a while, given the sitch around here, tho.

(BTW, I think the plural of geezer is goozer.)
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

About 36D:

* first product produced by the company that became General Foods.

* made from wheat and molasses. Originally advertised as a coffee “alternative”, not a substitute.

* formula may have been stolen from Kellogg.

* widely available in Utah.
Jack Sullivan
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

sigh, any nudges out there?
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

On the ship again this week. I don't know if I'm enjoying working on these anymore; it might actually not be my thing like I thought it was.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Here is a first for our final report. This report is coming to you compliments of our generator as the power died just before I started and I had to sprint out and get more gas. Everything within a mile away is out.

But we have 14 on the ship and 143 on the shore

Emerging to the ship's bar are
Bird Lives
and Emily W

and getting to shore are
Colin
Jim and Anita
rolias
WSJosh
spotter
and your humbled by MG Cruise Director

Good luck to all and see you Tuesday night
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

I spent so much time staring at this and to see it finally pay off is... nice.

On shore and submitted.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Orsys wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:40 pm sigh, any nudges out there?
PM sent
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Finished the grid but didn't have time for the meta! Keeping Isaac company this weekend!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:52 pm Here is a first for our final report. This report is coming to you compliments of our generator as the power died just before I started and I had to sprint out and get more gas. Everything within a mile away is out.

Bird Lives
and Emily W

and getting to shore are
Colin
Jim and Anita
rolias
WSJosh
spotter

Not sure if you marked me On Shore....reported a long time ago
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:52 pm I would love to do an escape room---they seem so fun. Or a bar-room, or a classroom. None are on my dance card for a while, given the sitch around here, tho.

(BTW, I think the plural of geezer is goozer.)
(If a gaggle of geese,

then a Muggler of goozer?)
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Inca wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:26 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:52 pm Here is a first for our final report. This report is coming to you compliments of our generator as the power died just before I started and I had to sprint out and get more gas. Everything within a mile away is out.

Bird Lives
and Emily W

and getting to shore are
Colin
Jim and Anita
rolias
WSJosh
spotter

Not sure if you marked me On Shore....reported a long time ago
Oops
I will get you in the morning
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
garryj

Post by garryj »

On shore. Had a direction on Friday. Busy weekend but finally put it together tonight. Like it because when it came together it is a no doubter.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20200814 WSJCC You Need Glasses.gif
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

In solving, I found myself distracted by Mona Lisa. That was my useless bit of trivia - it's a cocktail that features Chartreuse Green

Traditional recipe:

SHAKE first three ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass. TOP with tonic water.
1 fl oz Green Chartreuse liqueur
2 fl oz Orange juice (freshly squeezed)
2 dash Angostura or other aromatic bitters
1 1/2 fl oz Thomas Henry Tonic Water

Served in a Collins glass
TPS

Post by TPS »

Congratulations to everyone who solved this one - I felt it was tougher than most of the WSJ metas this year. I did feel like it was a very MG puzzle so I am disappointed I didn't solve it.

I have three nits with this one.

1. I've never heard of ANISETTE - and when I pulled up a list of the top 25 liqueurs it was not on that list. I am almost never going to solve a meta that has such an obscure reference. There were complaints about Monopoly or morse code being obscure but both of those things could easily be found on the first page of a good google search and are things in the typical American lexicon.

2. No one drinks liqueurs out of a tumbler - they are typically served in cordial glasses.

3. I don't think it was good construction to have an extra "TUM" in the puzzle w/ STUMBLES

I HIGHLY doubt I would have solved this one either way but I think those were things imperfections w/ this puzzle.

Oh and I submitted SNAKE JUICE - High End VIP Lifestyle. https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d982cf5c-7 ... 0e9732a563
Last edited by TPS on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.