"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:39 pm I was in the biggest rabbit hole ever, forever. Wondering if others went down the same path. Will follow up tomorrow.
Can't wait to hear this one! BTW, I live in the far western suburbs of Philadelphia, in rural Chester County. Far enough out to call hoagies "subs."
Great area! I love to drive out that way (sports car. :-) ). We live in Media / Newtown Square
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm On shore with a submitted answer but I think I have fallen down the deepest rabbit hole ever created in a Gaffney puzzle. 😬

And for the record, neither my husband nor I consider ourselves “geezers”, but we saw 36D, remembered the answer and had a good laugh!
How old do you have to be to be considered a "geezer"?

Many of us remember the answer being advertised on TV
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SeanS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:21 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:41 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:10 pm To borrow a few lines from 51A
Sean, fantastic band, saw them in 1981 or so, with Flock of Seagulls as the opening act.
WLW.
Jealous! I was born in '88 so I never got to see them live but I have a lot of fond memories of listening to the "Singles: 45's and Under" cassette tape in the third row of my parents' Suburban as a kid.
We love to have younger muggles. Bring your friends
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Muggles, muggles and more muggles. We have a bunch of our newest muggles since yesterday - crowordnewbie, YoungestCopperRiver, meowmiao71, Cap'n Rick, heybaby and Wordsmith. That brings our clan to 735 and growing.

This week there is 14 of us on the ship and 137 on the shore.

Joining me on the ship and in the many rabbit holes are
FrankH
rexthree
heybaby
and wordsmith

While getting to the shore since yesterday are
eagle1279
Burak
edot
Matthew M
michaelm
Notbitter
Gpiggies
KscX
Ed S
Ksoav
copperriver
MileHighsolver
zacmoretz and his Aunt Norma
Daniel G
Cap'n Rick
meowmiao71
YoungestCopperRiver
Janet P
Cindy N
MajorDomoTom - who was on the beach all along but social distancing so I missed him
crosswordnewbie
Peter L
Hidden in 3D
JeanneC
OGuyDave
dudeski
Ann
Maine Marge
and cbarbee002

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Alec

Post by Alec »

Ashore after several weeks with no luck. This one felt good!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm WOW, it just jumped out at me. Saw part of it early on and discounted it as a path. Happily on shore after maxing my credit card with Isaac.
Went down the exact same road. Came back to it today and everything clicked.
On shore.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Has anyone on here done Escape Rooms? I had never done one but my GF and I were bored yesterday afternoon and we both mentioned we always wanted to but neither of us had so we went out and did one.

We completed it but not without a couple nudges - I mean the one we did was like the equivalent of solving 6 meta puzzles in an hour - I was impressed by my GF who says she is not a puzzle person but she figured out two of them like inside of 2 minutes.

But the thing I learned is there is a whole escape room community similar to this one except these people literally travel all over to try different escape rooms.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm
JeanneC wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm On shore with a submitted answer but I think I have fallen down the deepest rabbit hole ever created in a Gaffney puzzle. 😬

And for the record, neither my husband nor I consider ourselves “geezers”, but we saw 36D, remembered the answer and had a good laugh!

Family who recently visited apparently consider my husband and myself “geezers” based solely on being retired. We prefer to consider it a state of mind. And it sure ain’t ours.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

JeanneC wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:19 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Family who recently visited apparently consider my husband and myself “geezers” based solely on being retired. We prefer to consider it a state of mind. And it sure ain’t ours.
Absolutely agree

Your last name wouldn't be Riley by any chance. Every time you post "Harper Valley PTA" pops into my mind
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Can anyone explain to me how last week's came so easily and this week, once again, required the harbor patrol, coast guard and some life guards to get me to the shore.

Needless to say, I will be improving the odds for those of you who got to shore on your own by consoling myself at the end of the beach
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:31 pm Can anyone explain to me how last week's came so easily and this week, once again, required the harbor patrol, coast guard and some life guards to get me to the beach.
The 3 prior weeks came fairly easily to me - I did need a tiny nudge on the Morse Code one and I checked my answer on the Artist one - but I saw the method really quickly and I was surprised at the number of people who struggled with those but then found this week easy because I think this was one of the toughest metas the WSJ has done all year.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:57 pm
cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:39 pm I was in the biggest rabbit hole ever, forever. Wondering if others went down the same path. Will follow up tomorrow.
Can't wait to hear this one! BTW, I live in the far western suburbs of Philadelphia, in rural Chester County. Far enough out to call hoagies "subs."
Great area! I love to drive out that way (sports car. :-) ). We live in Media / Newtown Square
As do we!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:31 pm Can anyone explain to me how last week's came so easily and this week, once again, required the harbor patrol, coast guard and some life guards to get me to the shore.

Needless to say, I will be improving the odds for those of you who got to shore on your own by consoling myself at the end of the beach
I totally struggled with this one, about to give up, and something I noticed early on just clicked. So weird how these things work themselves out (or not).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TPS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:18 pm Has anyone on here done Escape Rooms? I had never done one but my GF and I were bored yesterday afternoon and we both mentioned we always wanted to but neither of us had so we went out and did one.

We completed it but not without a couple nudges - I mean the one we did was like the equivalent of solving 6 meta puzzles in an hour - I was impressed by my GF who says she is not a puzzle person but she figured out two of them like inside of 2 minutes.

But the thing I learned is there is a whole escape room community similar to this one except these people literally travel all over to try different escape rooms.
My nephew and his wife love doing Escape Rooms!
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

i'm not seeing it, not even a respectable rabbit hole. However, log ago my doctor told me to go off coffee. He was wrong in his diagnosis and treatment, though I didn't know that at the time. So for far too long (months?) I was drinking 36D. Aint' nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Jay
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

On shore!
rolias

Post by rolias »

Good to finally make it to shore. Both a long swim on this one and haven’t been to the beach in weeks.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:46 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:18 pm Has anyone on here done Escape Rooms? I had never done one but my GF and I were bored yesterday afternoon and we both mentioned we always wanted to but neither of us had so we went out and did one.

My nephew and his wife love doing Escape Rooms!
I did one, must have been almost 15 years ago, probably the first one in the Boston area and maybe pretty primitive by today's standards. It was with a group of about a dozen of us --- volunteers in a creative problem solving program for kids called Destination Imagination. We planned it as a bonding and burning off burnout experience after the intensity of the tournaments. (This Muggles group reminds me a lot of the folks involved in that -- clever, fun-loving and generous.) The room had an Egyptian/hieroglyphic theme, I remember.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On the ship. I picked up a beer this week called Crunkle Sam by Clown Shoes Brewing because it reminded me of one of the grid answers from last weeks puzzle. It was supposed to be my celebration drink this week, but I think I'll go ahead and crack it open and see if it helps.
boharr

Post by boharr »

EmilyW wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:09 pm On the ship. I picked up a beer this week called Crunkle Sam by Clown Shoes Brewing because it reminded me of one of the grid answers from last weeks puzzle. It was supposed to be my celebration drink this week, but I think I'll go ahead and crack it open and see if it helps.
Can't hurt.