Lollapuzzoola 2020 Online Tournament

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
sharkicicles

Lollapuzzoola 2020 Online Tournament

Post by sharkicicles »

Is anyone signed up for Lollapuzzoola on the 15th?
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'll do the non-real-time version, as I did with this one. Here with the convenience of Across Lite I scored 8828, which would have been solidly Medium on the list, which is par for my course on these things, the few times I've done tourney puzzles and kept track. Speed solvers like damefox and LesY amaze me.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:46 am Is anyone signed up for Lollapuzzoola on the 15th?
I did Lolla in person last year. It was great fun. However, I think that this year I will sit it out. Maybe i will do the at home version. The schedule of
1 pm to 7 pm just doesn't work for me unfortunately. I hope to be back next year in NYC!
LesY

Post by LesY »

At-Home Division here. I’m challenged by the schedule as well.

Thanks for the flattering shout-out, Hector!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I’ve always wanted to attend a tournament but they’re all inconveniently located pretty far from Chicago, so I signed up for the local division. Good luck folks!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Ooh, I'd really like to do this (loved the tournament in March, even though my score was pretty bad), but I'm not sure I can justify the time right now. Will think about it.

Edit: What the heck, I'm signed up (local division)! I won't make it to the east coast for an in-person tournament probably ever, so I better take advantage of it being virtual this year...
Last edited by Laura M on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I'm going to ask for permission from the boss (Mrs. C=64).

Update: registered for local division!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I came in 179th (out of ~275) in the test run, pretty much what I'd expect I guess. I scrolled past damefox up there in the 60s, wow :-)
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I'm lurking about halfway between at #115; I'll need to practice a bit more and get used to the controls.

And not go batty being inundated by the twitch chat.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Laura M wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 pm I came in 179th (out of ~275) in the test run, pretty much what I'd expect I guess. I scrolled past damefox up there in the 60s, wow :-)
I have a standing commitment the morning of the third Saturday of every month - it starts at 10:30 and I'm actually not sure when I'll be back, probably close-ish to 1 EDT - so I'm hoping I'm home in time for the first puzzle. Otherwise it's going to look like I got so much worse between Wednesday and Saturday!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Schedule challenges on Saturday. Doing the at-home version on Sunday. Good luck to those who have registered for Saturday.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I'll be missing Saturday too. :( Will try to catch up Sunday.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Live check-in: I get flustered when I have trouble navigating with the cursor keys, etc. and also when I don't realize that I'm reading the across clue but trying to fill the down entry, or vice-versa. Trying to minimize my frustration and just move along is the challenge for me.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

C=64 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:10 pm Live check-in: I get flustered when I have trouble navigating with the cursor keys, etc. and also when I don't realize that I'm reading the across clue but trying to fill the down entry, or vice-versa. Trying to minimize my frustration and just move along is the challenge for me.
If I'd know it was going to rain all day, I would have signed up for this. I'm not fast at crosswords at ALL though, and not very good at them, either. But I've been watching the chat on Twitch and discord, and have been having a lot of fun as a spectator. Good luck to you and everyone else who is participating!

Damefox, you're killin it!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

These puzzles are excellent, you guys in the at-home division have a lot to look forward to tomorrow! I'm always slow (my times are around 2x damefox's, how) but this time I also managed to distractedly submit a puzzle without double checking, and it had one blank square and one completely avoidable error, ugh... Still, this is super fun and I'm glad I did it!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

I'm so tired of reading in the chat about how people left squares blank, boo hoo... and then I left 2 squares blank in puzzle #3. :oops: Afterwards, I realized that I should hit Enter one more time and see whether it moves me to an unfinished entry.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm not competing, but I looked at the twitch video and it turned out to be right in time for the wikipedia puzzle. That was fun!

Good luck to all the muggles in the tournament!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:01 pm I'm not competing, but I looked at the twitch video and it turned out to be right in time for the wikipedia puzzle. That was fun!

Good luck to all the muggles in the tournament!
I loved the Wikipedia puzzle. I went to Lolla last year and it was so much fun. This year I am getting the at home puzzles tomorrow.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I just can't get over Erik Agard.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Solved the meta after puzzle #4.