"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

TPS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:02 am
boharr wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 am
JoeS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 am

The lack of vowels among the first letters of space names quickly left one resigned to BLOCKS, but then my wife and I realized that if you reverse this process as Mike must have done, starting with one and only one such possiblity on the board made for a very clever construct.
This may have been key.
I’m not so sure - the only vowel you couldn’t find would be “U”

A - Atlantic Ave
E - Electric Company
I - Illinois Ave/Indiana Ave
O - Oriental Ave

I felt like 75%+ of the alphabet is covered by the first letters in the game spaces which gave him a lot of options to use for the meta if he so desired.
True. But I think he was constrained because he didn't want the themers to be too obvious, but still had to construct some answer that flowed in grid order. However, I'm no one to talk. I can't even solve most metas let alone opine on their construction.
KscX

Post by KscX »

How about an alternate title "Let's Move On" - I still had a hard time accepting BLOCKS as all neat and tidy, unless you are thinking of BLOCKS as a toddler/kid game, and MONOPOLY as an older kid game. Meaning, Monopoly is moving on/beyond it. I'm still hung up on IT not really having any meaning or relevance, that I can see. Maybe I'm missing it. Literally.

While I didn't submit (I only get half credit due to kind nudgers) I want to thank hcbirker, pddigi, and boharr for helping me see the first step! I encourage everyone to ask as you get to the 11th hour; even half credit makes me more satisfied than LAS!
howardl

Post by howardl »

I reported "on shore" on Sunday afternoon, and I had submitted BLOCKS using exactly the process in the answer. But I expressed some doubt because I had missed the "Aha" feeling. I think others felt this way, and I've been thinking a little about what would have provided the Aha. A clue like: "How to collect $200" (pass go) or "they give out yellow cards" (community chest) or even "do not...." (pass go) or "get out of .... card" (Jail free). If I had found any of these clues hinting at Monopoly, I would have been 100% sure of my answer. Also, I don't make any clear connection between the Monopoly game and "blocks". A meta answer like "deeds" "hotels" "rent" probably would also have given me an aha.
KayW

Post by KayW »

This one brought to mind Matt's Resource Management WSJ meta. I solved that one despite never having heard of SETTLERS OF CATAN, because googling the five resources brought up the game title at the top of the search list.

I haven't played Monopoly in decades (and I also searched my closets unsuccessfully for a copy - had to resort to Google image for the board). But thanks to years of play in early life, LUXURY and READING brought the game to mind very quickly. When the second words of the themers (TAX, PLACE, RAILROAD LINE-RAILROAD PARKING COMPANY) didn't generate an English word, I looked one space beyond each of the themers and found BLOCKS.

Out of curiousity as to how easy this meta would be for someone not familiar with Monopoly, I also googled the six theme answer first words (LUXURY PARK READING SHORT FREE ELECTRIC). At that time I did not see anything Monopoly related on the first page of search results. After reading Bird Lives' post this morning, I tried again and there it was at the bottom of the first page. I don't know if I was inattentive earlier, or if all the muggle activity this weekend bumped Monopoly higher up in the Google rankings.

And if 13D (roll the dice, say - PLAY) was an intended indicator clue, I admit it weakens the meta construction a bit because with two dice as used in the game, there is no way to roll a "one". Unless you take just the first step of a move. BTW I did not notice 13D at all prior to solving. I happened to re-work the blank grid in the paper later (why? because it was there) at which point it jumped up and bit me.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

howardl wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am I reported "on shore" on Sunday afternoon, and I had submitted BLOCKS using exactly the process in the answer. But I expressed some doubt because I had missed the "Aha" feeling. I think others felt this way, and I've been thinking a little about what would have provided the Aha. A clue like: "How to collect $200" (pass go) or "they give out yellow cards" (community chest) or even "do not...." (pass go) or "get out of .... card" (Jail free). If I had found any of these clues hinting at Monopoly, I would have been 100% sure of my answer. Also, I don't make any clear connection between the Monopoly game and "blocks". A meta answer like "deeds" "hotels" "rent" probably would also have given me an aha.
I had a little trouble making the connection between BLOCKS and Monopoly until I realized that each of these spaces on a Monopoly board represent a city block. Well, the streets, anyway.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I didn’t submit this week, having lost power and internet for four days and spending that time and more in yard clean up and house repairs.

That having been said, I have played dozens of Monopoly games with my kid, and I didn’t pick up on the connection. And Reading, Pennsylvania is my home town.

Finally, my mom would never play Monopoly with us kids when we were little. Her name for the game — “Monotony”.
pookie

Post by pookie »

The Thrill is Gone-
Roy Hawkins

'nuff said
TPS

Post by TPS »

KayW wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:49 am This one brought to mind Matt's Resource Management WSJ meta. I solved that one despite never having heard of SETTLERS OF CATAN, because googling the five resources brought up the game title at the top of the search list.
I’ve never played SOC but always wanted to but that would have made for a real esoteric puzzle - I feel like everyone has at least played Monopoly even if not recently.
Last edited by TPS on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:30 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 pm I’m on the beach. Thanks, Bob, for a picture where I’m smiling! For all of you Zoom chickens, you don’t even have to talk!!
I take a bunch of screenshots and combined the best of each person.
Oh Lord! If that's the best shot of me, I will try to look better tomorrow.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I considered that the puzzle's title also led to blocks because you could be blocked and need to move beyond whatever was blocking you. And city blocks for the Monopoly board also made sense. So I was 99.5% - close, but not fully sure.

I also wanted to call out the reference to the Water Works game as a potential spoiler as it it also a Monopoly property. We had that game when I was a kid - I remember most of it. Playing cards had pieces of pipe sections on them and you had to build a plumbing route from a starting faucet to some place. Also had leaking pipe sections you could play on your opponent's plumbing that they would have to repair.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:12 am
yourpalsal wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:20 am If Monopoly is unfamiliar to a person, then I agree - I don’t see how you get the meta. Maybe if you google the six words together, but it doesn’t seem very promising.
I just tried it. Ifyou Google the six initial words, the Wikipedia entry on Monopoly comes up on the first page. But if you enter all twelve in order (LUXURY LINER PARK CITY READING, etc.) you wind up with Covid.
Must all be in the order entry because after trying three times differently I don't get the Wikipedia page until the third page of options? Your Mr. G is more helpful than mine.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
spotter

Post by spotter »

spotter wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:30 am Worst. Meta. Ever.
I was pretty bitter when I wrote this. After letting the answer sink in, it wasn't that bad. I just was nowhere close to thinking Monopoly even after looking at all the first words together. If there was a true indicator clue that could've given even a subtle hint to think about board games I think I'd actually have liked the puzzle.
Abide

Post by Abide »

TPS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:02 am .
I’m not so sure - the only vowel you couldn’t find would be “U”

A - Atlantic Ave
E - Electric Company
I - Illinois Ave/Indiana Ave
O - Oriental Ave

I felt like 75%+ of the alphabet is covered by the first letters in the game spaces which gave him a lot of options to use for the meta if he so desired.
[/quote]

Can't use A because you have to have a theme entry for B&O. Maybe just B would work (BMOVIE) but there would be griping about that.

Can't use E because the theme entry would start with ST. ---and there are two Sts. (Charles and James). So another flaw.

Can't use W because you can't theme VENTNOR.

Can't use T because COMMUNITY is too long.

No H D or Y

Darrow, Boards, Chance, Houses, Hotels would have been nice but not workable.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

True confessions. So, last week, I declared myself ashore, albeit hesitantly. And, alas, I did not solve it. I submitted PEAR. I did not see the whole pattern, missed OKeefe and Dali, hence, did not get GRAPES. This week, after spending more time than I care to admit, I called it quits. I would not have made the connection to Monopoly so I'm glad I finally gave it up to watch golf and read. I have spent the best part of 6 weeks with Tom Shea, totally lost at sea, all puns intended. Have a great week, Muggles.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 am My goofiest rabbit hole: wondering whether "IT" in the title referred to the Stephen King book, I searched for THE STAND, CARRIE, etc. in the grid. Nothing, of course. The way I hit upon the Monopoly theme was by trying to find words that would form phrases with the first and second words of the theme answers, and eventually LUXURY TAX sparked some synapses. Thank goodness!
Oh, my rabbit holes were many and varied.
*I looked for Steven King titles, abbreviated titles - NADA
*I found State abbreviations in each theme answer and tried ot move one state beyond (so I get a half point for getting that from the title!) but there is no way to know which way to move and some states you could go 4 or 5 different ways and with one you ended up in Canada. So caNADA
*I went one answer beyond the theme answer and took that letter - NADA
*I went directly across to the clue pointed at by the theme answer (i.e. moved "beyond" the GRID) and used the clue starting letter - NADA
*I went directly across to the clue pointed at by the theme answer (i.e. moved "beyond" the GRID) and used the clue answer starting letter - NADA
*I played a game of Monopoly to clear my mind (naw, just kidding, wish I had!)
*I found all instances of IT in the GRID - not enough and not a consistent enough mechanism
*I found all instances of it in the clues (wITh, ITs, bITterly, etc) but there were 8 of those
*I cursed the existence of METAs and the gateway drug (crosswords) that led me to them
*I bargained with God (apparently busy handling things in Chicago and Beirut, priorities I suppose)
"I bargained with Satan (luckily I did not solve or right now I would be corresponding from a hot, evil place full of unrest, sickness, despair and mistrust - hey wait a minute I'm in Florida did I solve the puzzle?)
*I cried, I gnashed my teeth, I begged for a nudge (got it and STILL didn't see the Hotel beckoning me as I passed the jailhouse)

So all in all a bad META week-end (well OK, I got the MGWCC but 10 people solved that who didn't even SEE the puzzle, and the super solvers probably posted their answers 15 minutes before it was released). The nice thing is that (1) Tuesday evening is almost here and if I can finally remember what day it is I will talk to Muggooms (Muggles that Zoom) and (2) Thursday wipes the slate and I get to start a whole new streak. Best thing about that is if I don't answer I'm no worse off, and if I do I have only a streak of 1 to protect going forward (yes I am being a bit of an annoying silver lining-er, but hey)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Lady Bird this one is for you.

Sitting in my garden this Hot sUMMer mornING there was an almost suBlIminal flash of activity that Ran through my yarD. Yes it was this little guy, directing the hummingbird bush Orchestra

Arthurfieldbird.JPG
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Deb F wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:38 pm True confessions. So, last week, I declared myself ashore, albeit hesitantly. And, alas, I did not solve it. I submitted PEAR. I did not see the whole pattern, missed OKeefe and Dali, hence, did not get GRAPES. This week, after spending more time than I care to admit, I called it quits. I would not have made the connection to Monopoly so I'm glad I finally gave it up to watch golf and read. I have spent the best part of 6 weeks with Tom Shea, totally lost at sea, all puns intended. Have a great week, Muggles.
I have a similar confession. I noticed that the artists names were made up from the "center pieces" in the clues. I decided that "tormented" allowed me to use the homophone pears for pairs and submitted "pear centerpieces". In retrospect that was a stretch but I was SO sure! I was a little gun shy this week with BLOCKS.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:55 pm I didn’t submit this week, having lost power and internet for four days and spending that time and more in yard clean up and house repairs.

That having been said, I have played dozens of Monopoly games with my kid, and I didn’t pick up on the connection. And Reading, Pennsylvania is my home town.

Finally, my mom would never play Monopoly with us kids when we were little. Her name for the game — “Monotony”.
That’s what my dad called it! As an adult I felt the same.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:57 pm Lady Bird this one is for you.

Sitting in my garden this Hot sUMMer mornING there was an almost suBlIminal flash of activity that Ran through my yarD. Yes it was this little guy, directing the hummingbird bush Orchestra

Arthurfieldbird.JPG
It DOES look like a conductor. Great picture!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Well, I was off by myself in an entirely different universe of rabbit holes. I noted the spots where the 6 long/theme answers were based on a a "6-letter word". The first one I solved was PARKCITY. There's an IT in there--could it be that simple? Of course not! I explored information technology (IT) terms and abbreviations--an interesting waste of time. I looked at the grid and moved one (and two and three) letters beyond the theme answers--in both directions.

Someone told me to focus on the first words and MOVE. LUXURY--move 2 and you get LIMA/LIMO. ELECTRIC--move 4 and get TAR/CAR. It must be transportation related. Even thought of READING railroad. But turning RUE into RR(E) was too much of a stretch. And even with that, Monopoly didn't enter my mind.

After another admonition to look at the first word, Monopoly finally clicked. But even then, I tried to make the moving too difficult. I wasn't moving just one (since that is not a move that you can make with two dice, as others have mentioned). Finally, I was told to move just one and then it fell into place.