"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:29 am Count me on the ship. I feel like Charly Gordon, on a downward spiral. No sight of land for weeks.
I'm glad I took moment to google Charly because I'd forgotten that was his name ---
When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I read the script? an excerpt? of Flowers For Algernon in some journal that my older brother had brought home
from High School! and I remember feeling so cool and grown up (and all those other things you think you are at that age!) because I so liked and appreciated it. Thanks for prompting that memory!

BTW --- I am still on the ship.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

had to leave the shotgun on the deck, saw something interesting floating in the water and fell overboard for it.

just washed up on a beach, pretty sure I see the rest of you guys there.

Thanks to Wendy Walker for pointing it out to me.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Diana

Post by Diana »

I forgot the second verse gosh dang it. My song now is a masterpiece.

https://youtu.be/VKIiCOZ2Eo4

Hello, it's me
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet.
To go over everything.
They say that solves are supposed to mug you, but I ain't done much mugging.

Hello, can you hear me?
I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be.
When we were younger and free
I've forgotten how it felt before the WSJ posted a fee
There's such a difference between that and this better site

Hello from the other site. I've must have emailed a thousand times.
To tell Mike that I solved it and everything that I've done.
But when I check the email, I never do get that mug.

Hello from the other site. At least I can say that I tried.
To tell you that I'm sorry for being that one
Who makes annoying parody of songs, that been done.

But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore

Hello how are you?

It's so typical of me to try to get some hints, I'm sorry

I hope that you're well.

Did you ever make out of that rabbit hole
where nothing ever happened?

It's no secret that we're both running out of time. (almost midnight, eastern time)

Hello from the other site. Etc.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:31 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:41 pm
You win, I have never heard of a Jack Snipe. i had to google it. Did you see one in northern europe or asia?
I saw it in County Wexford, Ireland last October. I met up with a local bird guide for 4-5 hours while my husband found a little village to hang out in. Turns out the guide wrote the field guide on the birds of Ireland, so I learned/saw a lot! And I had him sign my book.

My goal is to reference birds that I have actually seen. Of course, I messed up the very first week--I did Least Tern when I should have done Common Tern. But I've been good since.
Come to Massachusetts in June and I will take you where they are nesting - that will clean up your error.
Robert Stevens_2020_06_12_7D_RMS_9563.JPG
Better watch out--I might have to take you up on that!

Maybe I should post a bunch of wishlist birds. Anyone for an Atlantic Puffin or Kentucky Warbler or...
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Diana wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm It says "Quick Reply," but I'm not sure who I am replying to. I just wanted to post my thing. I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'm planning to join the Tuesday Muggles Zoom thing that I've heard talk on the street about. So, I wanted to dedicate this song.

I haven't figured out the meta yet, BTW. I just wanted to do my song. And I hope all my old faves are there on Tuesday. You see, I wanted to belt this song out as an amusing entrance to our Zoom, but I've practicing and it cannot be done. So you just have to do the video and the lyrics.

Hello, it's me
To go over everything.

Hello, can you hear me?  

Hello from the other site.  I've must have emailed a thousand times.

Hello from the other site.  At least I can say that I tried.

(So that's why I have to go on your Zoom meeting - because you're not all torn apart about my absence.)
Hi Diana. We’ve missed you!
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

Holy Moly! After weeks of frustration, I finally solved the meta. As I was looking at it with my non-puzzler husband, trying to explain various ways to solve a meta puzzle, the mechanism jumped out at me. I hope that means I've got my meta mojo back!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Diana wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:34 pm It says "Quick Reply," but I'm not sure who I am replying to. I just wanted to post my thing. I'm not quite sure how to do it. I'm planning to join the Tuesday Muggles Zoom thing that I've heard talk on the street about. So, I wanted to dedicate this song.

I haven't figured out the meta yet, BTW. I just wanted to do my song. And I hope all my old faves are there on Tuesday. You see, I wanted to belt this song out as an amusing entrance to our Zoom, but I've practicing and it cannot be done. So you just have to do the video and the lyrics.

Hello, it's me
To go over everything.

Hello, can you hear me?  

Hello from the other site.  I've must have emailed a thousand times.

Hello from the other site.  At least I can say that I tried.

(So that's why I have to go on your Zoom meeting - because you're not all torn apart about my absence.)
We miss you! I really appreciated your reappearance when I happened to be lucky enough to win the MMMM mug. Hoping to see more of you here, and song lyrics of course! 💕
ReB

Post by ReB »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:55 pm OK, the mechanism has been found. I have an answer but I'm sharing others' trepidation about how well it fits the puzzle and theme. But I'll be submitting it unless I see something a bit more elegant.
Same feeling here. The first step I'm 100% sure of, and I found a not overly complex second-step mechanism requiring knowledge of the first step that seems to fit the title and which generates a plausible 6-letter word solution - but I don't quite have that 100% satisfaction, more in the 90% range. On the other hand I've run out of alternative ideas/words that would maintain the integrity of a meta puzzle.

I also will submit this word as my solution unless something knocks [more than] my socks [which are already] off before the deadline. Count me as standing with one foot on shore and one foot still in the air.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm currently addlepated. But I gotta get off this boat. I'm starting to wonder how I was ever able to do this.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I haven't even found a step one yet. At this rate I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford my tab with Isaac when I finally make it off the ship since I've been stuck there for so many weeks.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

After looking at this grid for too long....Boom....there was the path and the reward. On shore. Go Mariners !
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore. Somehow I saw this one pretty much right away. The grid took much longer this time.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Bob, put me on your ship list.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:37 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:31 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 pm

I saw it in County Wexford, Ireland last October. I met up with a local bird guide for 4-5 hours while my husband found a little village to hang out in. Turns out the guide wrote the field guide on the birds of Ireland, so I learned/saw a lot! And I had him sign my book.

My goal is to reference birds that I have actually seen. Of course, I messed up the very first week--I did Least Tern when I should have done Common Tern. But I've been good since.
Come to Massachusetts in June and I will take you where they are nesting - that will clean up your error.
Robert Stevens_2020_06_12_7D_RMS_9563.JPG
Better watch out--I might have to take you up on that!

Maybe I should post a bunch of wishlist birds. Anyone for an Atlantic Puffin or Kentucky Warbler or...
We can get great puffin pictures if you have time to travel along the Maine coast from one end to the other.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Hi ho! Or ho hum? I’m still with Isaac. Busy week, so a late start. I did the MGWCC first hoping for a confidence boost, since I also feel like Charly Gordon lately. Remembering all those times when it jumped out at me...

I’m in the camp with family that think I’m a little loony for metas. Maybe that’s why this forum is so enjoyable.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Early on I saw something that had to be part of the solve but couldn’t figure out what to do with it. Over lunch a 💡 switched on and I saw the way to shore though I needed some help from my friend G.

Love that feeling😊
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I looked at the puzzle on Thursday for the first time and was sure I could see the way to shore. After swimming confidently in that direction I could not find my way to the beach. I spent way too much time on Friday working on this, per my wife, and finally asked for a nudge. Definitely a DUH moment because I was on the right beach but just did not go far enough. Is this a 2 on the KAS scale? I am not sure if it even qualifies since I needed help.

In any case I am on shore. BUT, I am paying my own tab and owe a couple of people a drink!

I am not submitting since I did not make it to shore unassisted. That is my personal rule.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I'm still on the ship. Figured out step one and followed a torturous path to a six-letter word, but it is neither elegant nor aha-inducing. I'll submit if it's all I've got by the deadline but am hoping for further enlightenment.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I woke up having solved the meta in my dream! Unfortunately the answer I happily woke up to was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON.

However, I took a fresh look today and finally figured it out. Not sure I've ever been happier to join you guys on the beach.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:54 am Well I woke up having solved the meta in my dream! Unfortunately the answer I happily woke up to was CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON.

However, I took a fresh look today and finally figured it out. Not sure I've ever been happier to join you guys on the beach.
That’s just how my Meta dreams always turn out.