"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Oh, for goodness' sake, there it is! All of you must have been sending smart vibes my way because I GOT IT just a few minutes after taking a break from editing. (And yes, I texted Mark immediately.) See everyone on Tuesday evening!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FKelly wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 pm On the beach with a six-letter word that makes perfect sense, All Things Considered.

Some of the grid entries are down-right bizarre, A39 and D25. How's that for a natick :!:
A bit concerned about the 'specialized knowledge' required to solve this puzzle. If you don't have it to begin with, there is really no way of getting it since nothing else even hints at this knowledge.

I may have a 'specialized knowledge' problem with "Playlist Omission", the August MMMM. Some are claiming it's too easy to be an August. I see nothing pointing in the direction of a method, which suggests I lack this 'specialized knowledge'. Even with the 'specialized knowledge' for Shenk's puzzle, I had to draw the grid and enter the answers in pencil before I realized that I knew this. I think better through the point of a pencil. Typing into the online puzzle didn't provide any cognition that I had the 'specialized knowledge'. Next step is to draw the grid for the MMMM, fill with pencil and see if the magic works again.
Well I don't know if that's a spoiler or not, but it certainly is a confuser. Now I am even LESS sure I will ever get this!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

One small leap (to shore) for me
One giant leap (to shore ) for my ego
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

DrTom wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:48 pm
FKelly wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:34 pm On the beach with a six-letter word that makes perfect sense, All Things Considered.
Some of the grid entries are down-right bizarre, A39 and D25. How's that for a natick :!:
A bit concerned about the 'specialized knowledge' required to solve this puzzle. If you don't have it to begin with, there is really no way of getting it since nothing else even hints at this knowledge.
I may have a 'specialized knowledge' problem with "Playlist Omission", the August MMMM. Some are claiming it's too easy to be an August. I see nothing pointing in the direction of a method, which suggests I lack this 'specialized knowledge'. Even with the 'specialized knowledge' for Shenk's puzzle, I had to draw the grid, copy the clues beside it and enter the answers in pencil before I realized that I knew this. I think better through the point of a pencil. Typing into the online puzzle didn't provide any cognition that I had the 'specialized knowledge'. Next step is to draw the grid for the MMMM, copy the clues along side, fill with pencil and see if the magic works again.
Well I don't know if that's a spoiler or not, but it certainly is a confuser. Now I am even LESS sure I will ever get this!
I don't believe there is any spoiler. Putting it through the point of a pencil is probably how most people solve it. I admit I was confused after the online fill. Without the pencil fill, I didn't realize that I knew it.
Last edited by FKelly on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm Oh, for goodness' sake, there it is! All of you must have been sending smart vibes my way because I GOT IT just a few minutes after taking a break from editing. (And yes, I texted Mark immediately.) See everyone on Tuesday evening!
The response from my wife was probably what you got from Mark. "thank goodness. now I don't have to suffer all weekend"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm Oh, for goodness' sake, there it is! All of you must have been sending smart vibes my way because I GOT IT just a few minutes after taking a break from editing. (And yes, I texted Mark immediately.) See everyone on Tuesday evening!
The response from my wife was probably what you got from Mark. "thank goodness. now I don't have to suffer all weekend"
Pretty much verbatim! Also relief that the Puzzle Clipboard will NOT accompany us on our jaunt to historical New Castle, Delaware, this weekend.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:41 pm Oh, for goodness' sake, there it is!
D'oh! Yep.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

LadyBird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

I may have to try shooting some clay pigeons--haven't done that since I was a kid. Not sure why my grandpa thought it was a good idea to hand a shotgun to a preteen.
You win, I have never heard of a Jack Snipe. i had to google it. Did you see one in northern europe or asia?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Absolutely nothing yesterday. Today, thankfully, a different story. Count me ashore, toes in the sand!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Okay, started with the MGWCC (first week, so easier) to get the brain waves firing (and, truthfully, to get one under my belt so as not to feel totally helpless). Now onto WSJ - - agree with others' comments re the grid being somewhat difficult. I don't immediately see a path to the Meta, but seems like lots have made the swim to shore. I'll grab a double from Isaac in the meantime . . .
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:25 am Bob, I love your new graphic. Here's one from the Central Division. -->
That's not Wrigley! :D
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:30 am
BrianMac wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:26 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

I may have to try shooting some clay pigeons--haven't done that since I was a kid. Not sure why my grandpa thought it was a good idea to hand a shotgun to a preteen.
Do you happen to have any puzzles that you printed out with you? If you turn one over (assuming you didn't print 2-sided), you can make a pretty good grid by tracing the grid on the back of the paper, assuming they are the same size (15 x 15 in this case).
It is amazing how desperation sets in
In a pinch, I've been known to take a sheet of either plain or ruled paper and use a book as a straight-edge to draw a (not very pretty but still usable) grid.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:41 pm

You win, I have never heard of a Jack Snipe. i had to google it. Did you see one in northern europe or asia?
I saw it in County Wexford, Ireland last October. I met up with a local bird guide for 4-5 hours while my husband found a little village to hang out in. Turns out the guide wrote the field guide on the birds of Ireland, so I learned/saw a lot! And I had him sign my book.

My goal is to reference birds that I have actually seen. Of course, I messed up the very first week--I did Least Tern when I should have done Common Tern. But I've been good since.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:41 pm

I saw it in County Wexford, Ireland last October. I met up with a local bird guide for 4-5 hours while my husband found a little village to hang out in. Turns out the guide wrote the field guide on the birds of Ireland, so I learned/saw a lot! And I had him sign my book.

My goal is to reference birds that I have actually seen. Of course, I messed up the very first week--I did Least Tern when I should have done Common Tern. But I've been good since.
Come to Massachusetts in June and I will take you where they are nesting - that will clean up your error.
Robert Stevens_2020_06_12_7D_RMS_9563.JPG
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 pm
Yes I get that response a lot too. Except I usually suffer all weekend.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Well, we seem to be lucky to get two in a row, but didn't get it at all last week, so happy to see it 'pop out' at us this week.

Keep hoping we'll get better with this.... hope springs eternal!

Rita and George
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm On shore. Found the grid a little on the hard side and the meta a little tricky.
Same Here!

Rita and George
Guy

Post by Guy »

Aha! Tab please Isaac, I am going ashore!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

As usual, am still firmly on the water on Friday afternoon! However, i just looked at the grid and perhaps have an inspiration.....or maybe it's just a gaping hole. Will keep you posted.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

OK, the mechanism has been found. I have an answer but I'm sharing others' trepidation about how well it fits the puzzle and theme. But I'll be submitting it unless I see something a bit more elegant.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain