"Tormented Artists" - July 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Hello - it was Waterworld for a while, but now onshore. Fun puzzle and meta.

Have a good weekend - safe solving for you all,
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Looking forward to discussing 25D in the Muggle Meetup on Tuesday, 4:30pm PT
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Hallelujah. On shore for the first time in a month. I was beginning to despair. Have a great weekend, Muggles. Pray for an easterly course for Isaias!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Inca wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm Just thought I would share this. In this Era of Zoom, if you don't have a webcam, there is a free app on www.kinoni.com that you download on your computer and your smart phone. It basically turns your phone into a camera and microphone. I just did the download, and it works! I can use my PC for Zooming now!
assuming you have a smartphone....there are still some holdouts...usually the same ones whose computer has no camera
I think Heidi's shot was aimed over my bow. At last week's zoom call, I was on twice. Once with my computer so I could see everyone but the camera in my HP is broken but I don't use the camera much anyway so it did not bother me. I then called in on my iPhone so I could use the camera there.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and I think I'm done. I have an answer that I can defend nicely, but doesn't have that 100% click. Will ponder it a bit more before sending it in.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:37 pm Very sure I have the right answer but still missing a piece that would confirm it. I see enough pieces to walk the dock confidently to shore, but will be glad to see why some are commenting on “clever construction.” ? Frosty margarita please.
What was the little boy looking at so intently?

Very cute picture
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:09 pm
Inca wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:35 pm
hcbirker wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm Just thought I would share this. In this Era of Zoom, if you don't have a webcam, there is a free app on www.kinoni.com that you download on your computer and your smart phone. It basically turns your phone into a camera and microphone. I just did the download, and it works! I can use my PC for Zooming now!
assuming you have a smartphone....there are still some holdouts...usually the same ones whose computer has no camera
I think Heidi's shot was aimed over my bow. At last week's zoom call, I was on twice. Once with my computer so I could see everyone but the camera in my HP is broken but I don't use the camera much anyway so it did not bother me. I then called in on my iPhone so I could use the camera there.
I’m also trying to help my mom. We have a Zoom baby shower coming up.
Heidi
M and M

Post by M and M »

Enjoyed it and am looking forward to Monday's rabbit hole discussion, since I spent a while in one! But safely ashore now.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore for a change. This one came more easily than I expected. I had half of it last night and woke up realizing what more I needed to do.

ALS
David R

Post by David R »

I saw almost all of it and still couldn't get the mechanism for a couple of hours, I am not a smart man. Now I am safely ensconced in the warm arms of Nike.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore. Not entirely comfortable but I have a good explanation, if I’m wrong.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

if you're not 100% on this one, you probably don't have the right answer. Once you find the steps required, you have a very solid answer for this one.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
Will share the mug with my kids who provided fresh eyes on this one!
Best of luck everyone.
bradc

Post by bradc »

Oops! Welcome to the forum. We don't discuss answers or strategies publicly while the contest is live. You are welcome to ask for a hint and someone may reply to you via personal message (PM). Thanks, Brian
TPS

Post by TPS »

BradC check your inbox.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

DBMiller wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 pm Done and I think I'm done. I have an answer that I can defend nicely, but doesn't have that 100% click. Will ponder it a bit more before sending it in.
Aha, wasn't done. Knew there had to be more, and now everything clicks and is 100%
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
bradc

Post by bradc »

TPS, I checked my inbox, but have not received anything from you. Just a general greeting for joining this group.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Commodore Toes in Sand.jpg
Hot Sand! Sunny Beach! Dog Days of August! Toes in sand with a cold bev. 8-)
Perfect for NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs broadcast from the North Pole! Go Bruins!
TPS

Post by TPS »

bradc wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:54 pm TPS, I checked my inbox, but have not received anything from you. Just a general greeting for joining this group.
Check your Private Messages here on the forum - not your email Inbox.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore! Equal rowing this week and that's good...........glad to be done earlier than last week!