"Tormented Artists" - July 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

So happy to have one I could figure out, was beginning to doubt my muggle-ness. Marg, please!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tim1217 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:39 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:23 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm Good afternoon. A bit of a late report as I was getting a video edited for a friend.

All is right with the world - Al is on page 1 and all three Beth's are lined up together.

And we have bskptkl as our newest muggle.

We have 2 on the ship and 80 on the shore.

Hopefully I will have some time after a HD trip in a couple of minutes.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe.
By the way Bob, if that's a golf course hole depicted in your Avatar I've seen it and the sand trap is a KILLER!
Mont-Saint-Michel, if I'm not mistaken.
And you are not mistaken
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Hmmm. I'm really struggling to just finish the grid on this one!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Been with Isaac for a couple weeks..but safely on shore now. On to the tiki hut for a sangria!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Very sure I have the right answer but still missing a piece that would confirm it. I see enough pieces to walk the dock confidently to shore, but will be glad to see why some are commenting on “clever construction.” ? Frosty margarita please.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Anita

Post by Anita »

Got off to a great start then began treading water. I saw something that I was sure was important. I just couldn't let go of that idea. Until I did. After that I stepped casually up onto the shore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Got it (Thank you, Joe. I took the time to fill your grid and of course it helped).
Am afraid I am getting a bit burned out on the metas. This one left me with a slightly sour taste in my mouth...not really sure why. That's why I think I am just meta-ed out.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore! Thankful that the artistry I attempted to paint into last week's puzzle was more helpful this week. Happy Torment-free Weekend!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:23 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm Good afternoon. A bit of a late report as I was getting a video edited for a friend.

All is right with the world - Al is on page 1 and all three Beth's are lined up together.

And we have bskptkl as our newest muggle.

We have 2 on the ship and 80 on the shore.

Hopefully I will have some time after a HD trip in a couple of minutes.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe.
By the way Bob, if that's a golf course hole depicted in your Avatar I've seen it and the sand trap is a KILLER!
What about the water hazard?
Jay
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 pm I HAve an idea that makes sense to ME. But now the waters have turned muRKy and my forward progress has stOPped. Perhaps another look later will clear things up.
And if anyone has the slightest interest in what Ladybird's hidden bird looks like here it is. An African wading bird named for its head.
Stephanie Stevens_2014_07_15_T3i_32327.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

I haven't posted in a while as work has started getting busy. I'm ashore for this one!
Steve Beard

Post by Steve Beard »

Been down so long it looks like up to me. Onshore!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Late start this week due to identity theft issues. Apparently small business administration loans are easy to get when you use someone else’s credentials. :o

Anyway, I feel like a real fool now - I don’t have an answer for the meta. I don’t even know where to look!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:19 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:13 pm Odd, it isn't even up yet that I can see?
Dr Tom - we pay the big bucks to get it early
JUST as I thought, the in crowd.....

I'm pretty sure that they said, "Oh what the heck, he is likely not going to get it until Sunday if he gets it at all, what's the hurry!"

Looking at my post, and knowing my USUAL group of friends I am surprised I did not get a a TWSS! comment.
Thank you for a jazzy earworm for the weekend ♫ ♪

https://youtu.be/jsFST-7Hx-Y
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Just thought I would share this. In this Era of Zoom, if you don't have a webcam, there is a free app on www.kinoni.com that you download on your computer and your smart phone. It basically turns your phone into a camera and microphone. I just did the download, and it works! I can use my PC for Zooming now!
Heidi
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Didn't get to the puzzle until this afternoon, and found the grid much more difficult than usual. Thought I might have to resort to Mr. G to finish, but I managed to muddle my way through.

Now the meta. Found step one (I presume) but getting nowhere beyond that. Hoping the post-enlightenment that others experienced comes my way.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
fstadler

Post by fstadler »

After struggling way longer than should have been needed, I have an answer that I'm confident is correct. But the meta seems to lack some of the usual MG elegance. So I'm hopeful that Monday will reveal more than I've recognized.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Grid done, no wabbits yet.

On the boat helping Isaac with his grandchildrens' college funds. Can't remember the last time I saw dry land.

At least it's martini night.
Rufus T. Firefly
Inca

Post by Inca »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm Just thought I would share this. In this Era of Zoom, if you don't have a webcam, there is a free app on www.kinoni.com that you download on your computer and your smart phone. It basically turns your phone into a camera and microphone. I just did the download, and it works! I can use my PC for Zooming now!
assuming you have a smartphone....there are still some holdouts...usually the same ones whose computer has no camera
Inca

Post by Inca »

fstadler wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:23 pm After struggling way longer than should have been needed, I have an answer that I'm confident is correct. But the meta seems to lack some of the usual MG elegance. So I'm hopeful that Monday will reveal more than I've recognized.
love the mugs shot