"Color Code" - July 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

pamster wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:54 pm I would love a hint if someone wants to PM me. I've marked up three printouts already and still no shore in sight.

Update: I think I have it. Thanks for your help!
Hope to see you Tuesday again.

There will be a lot of interesting rabbit holes. save the printouts for a lot of laughs. I have two very heavily marked, highlighted, circled and annotated versions.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am I'm throwing up (well not literally) a Hail Mary and submitting. Much too nice of a day and need to prepare to help my friends move tomorrow.

Well, actually to take over their 200+ Bordeaux collection that they are not moving from CT to their new place in FLA. Collected over a couple of decades in and around Toulouse. It is bittersweet. They are handing over the collection to us in hopes we can find the ones (at best 10%) that are still drinkable. At least half made the transatlantic trip three times. They assumed correctly that we wouldn't mind uncorking several bottles to find one to have with dinner. Still sad to know that so much of it is gone.
How old? Bordeaux lasts a LONG time. The 2000 are in their infancy and delicious with tons of fruit. Had an 89 Leoville Las Cases not long ago still drinking very well. I think you will do better than 10%...unless they are ancient or from bad years or both.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore, with aching arms from the swim. (But it beats last week, when I swam in circles in the dark, never made it within sight of shore, and had to rescued by the Coast Guard as midnight approached ... 😜.)

(Couldn’t even find the damn ship last week! And yes, I’m still embarrassed to admit it ... 😜.)
Last edited by DaveKennison on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:38 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:36 pm Still at the bar, but I think I’ll have the last word...
https://www.liquor.com/recipes/the-last-word/
That looks tasty!
I drank green Chartreuse once. Suffice to say, that is all I can remember from that evening.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Finally able to get back to looking at this Everest of a meta. Made it to Isaac on Friday, but have been busy packing for a short jaunt to Cape Cod and various sundry family stuff (you wouldn't believe that these people want dinner *every* night! :) Usually I see *something*... I got *nothing*!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Drawing a big old goose egg in this one. No rabbits, no holes, not even a whiff of an approach.

Post-enlightenment, please strike me!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Streroto wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am I'm throwing up (well not literally) a Hail Mary and submitting. Much too nice of a day and need to prepare to help my friends move tomorrow.

Well, actually to take over their 200+ Bordeaux collection that they are not moving from CT to their new place in FLA. Collected over a couple of decades in and around Toulouse. It is bittersweet. They are handing over the collection to us in hopes we can find the ones (at best 10%) that are still drinkable. At least half made the transatlantic trip three times. They assumed correctly that we wouldn't mind uncorking several bottles to find one to have with dinner. Still sad to know that so much of it is gone.
How old? Bordeaux lasts a LONG time. The 2000 are in their infancy and delicious with tons of fruit. Had an 89 Leoville Las Cases not long ago still drinking very well. I think you will do better than 10%...unless they are ancient or from bad years or both.
They are good years and chateaux, all purchased at the vineyards. Storage, not so much - hence the issue. Recent ones we've opened were not vinegar, but had lost much of their flavor. You could still detect how good they would have been. Not a bitter taste in the lot. Probably all needed to be recorked over a decade ago. Most went from Bordeaux Toulouse to CT to Toulouse and back to CT. It sure was fun helping our friends obtain them when we could join them!
Rufus T. Firefly
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

I’m only coming up with a steady string of 4-letter words on this one... :evil:
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

asea
I am a man of few...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:29 pm
Streroto wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 pm

They are good years and chateaux, all purchased at the vineyards. Storage, not so much - hence the issue. Recent ones we've opened were not vinegar, but had lost much of their flavor. You could still detect how good they would have been. Not a bitter taste in the lot. Probably all needed to be recorked over a decade ago. Most went from Bordeaux Toulouse to CT to Toulouse and back to CT. It sure was fun helping our friends obtain them when we could join them!
Will be fun anyway!!!
gatogato

Post by gatogato »

Pretty sure I'm swimming in the wrong ocean at this point. If anyone would be kind enough to PM me with a nudge it would be greatly appreciated.
tips received! thanks all!
Last edited by gatogato on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericharrison1969

Post by ericharrison1969 »

TPS wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 am
Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am On KAS scale, someone opine on where this
Meta falls.
Before I solved this one but while I was trying I opined that it was probably a KAS 1 or KAS 2 - which sent a lot of people thinking I was saying it was easy rather than I was speculating that it was easy.

After that I got a nudge centered around one word - that specific one word was enough to get me home. Several people have asked me for that one word - I’ve given it but apparently it wasn’t enough to get them home. I think it worked for me just based on where I was at with the puzzle and where my mind was at as soon as I saw the title. I’m happy to explain on Monday if anyone really cares.

In retrospect I think this is a KAS 2 - KAS 3 for me - following the solving steps Joe Ross & others laid out got me 75% of the way home - as is often the case I couldn’t take the second level step w/o help. But the KAS scale is completely subjective - I would say every puzzle I don’t get is a KAS 5+ and the ones I do get I would say are all KAS 1.

I don’t know if that was at all useful or insightful of if it was just a waste of space but that is my take.
Haven’t been down to Sunday night in ages, would love to know your one word ...?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I have it. We'll see. Count me on a shore somewhere Bob!
Heidi
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ok ashore but only with a nudge. Had it right in front of me and still could not get the aha. No submission this week but happy to have gotten there, if with help.

Stay well all
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I'm gonna keep trying for a bit, but I might go back to asking for nudges. I haven't gotten one in a month, and it doesn't look like I'm getting this one on my own.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Flamel616 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 pm I haven't gotten one in a month, and it doesn't look like I'm getting this one on my own.
I haven’t gotten one on my own since TALLY - don’t know how long that’s been but seems like at least 6 weeks. Didn’t get this one on my own either but it’s definitely the closest I’ve come in a long time.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Still with Isaac. Tried ignoring the meta for the afternoon, but that didn't weaken its resolve!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on shore! Had to start with a blank puzzle again and then I saw the connections. Like so many others here, we are watching baseball all weekend! Go Angels and Go Cubs Go!
Steve1963

Post by Steve1963 »

Nowhere near shore. How do you get a nudge?
burak

Post by burak »

I feel like my 48-week WSJCC streak is coming to an end. I've been lucky to get the answer at the last minute with A PLUS and AUDIO, but that luck is finally running out as I don't have the mental energy to do a deep dive on this.