"Color Code" - July 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

On KAS scale, someone opine on where this
Meta falls.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I'm throwing up (well not literally) a Hail Mary and submitting. Much too nice of a day and need to prepare to help my friends move tomorrow.

Well, actually to take over their 200+ Bordeaux collection that they are not moving from CT to their new place in FLA. Collected over a couple of decades in and around Toulouse. It is bittersweet. They are handing over the collection to us in hopes we can find the ones (at best 10%) that are still drinkable. At least half made the transatlantic trip three times. They assumed correctly that we wouldn't mind uncorking several bottles to find one to have with dinner. Still sad to know that so much of it is gone.
Rufus T. Firefly
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Can't spend any more time on this one. I'll be in the ship's library proofreading a 35-page document for a fellow board member. I had to put it down yesterday after completing only 3 pages in 2.5.hours. How do I turn a folksy, friendly, rambling, repetitive and grammatically incorrect document into something that, at the very least, represents our group as a professional organization? All that, plus the fact that the author is a dear friend whose feelings I would never, ever hurt intentionally. Yikes! Isaac, put on a fresh pot of coffee, please. I'm gonna' need it!
Sara
boharr

Post by boharr »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 am Can't spend any more time on this one. I'll be in the ship's library proofreading a 35-page document for a fellow board member. I had to put it down yesterday after completing only 3 pages in 2.5.hours. How do I turn a folksy, friendly, rambling, repetitive and grammatically incorrect document into something that, at the very least, represents our group as a professional organization? All that, plus the fact that the author is a dear friend whose feelings I would never, ever hurt intentionally. Yikes! Isaac, put on a fresh pot of coffee, please. I'm gonna' need it!
I rate the difficulty at 4.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 am Can't spend any more time on this one. I'll be in the ship's library proofreading a 35-page document for a fellow board member. I had to put it down yesterday after completing only 3 pages in 2.5.hours. How do I turn a folksy, friendly, rambling, repetitive and grammatically incorrect document into something that, at the very least, represents our group as a professional organization? All that, plus the fact that the author is a dear friend whose feelings I would never, ever hurt intentionally. Yikes! Isaac, put on a fresh pot of coffee, please. I'm gonna' need it!
It must be written by an engineer. (ngineur - and I are one)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am On KAS scale, someone opine on where this
Meta falls.
This one will run the gauntlet from 1 to 5 easily. Some got it easily, some will shoot those and some in the middle.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am On KAS scale, someone opine on where this
Meta falls.
Before I solved this one but while I was trying I opined that it was probably a KAS 1 or KAS 2 - which sent a lot of people thinking I was saying it was easy rather than I was speculating that it was easy.

After that I got a nudge centered around one word - that specific one word was enough to get me home. Several people have asked me for that one word - I’ve given it but apparently it wasn’t enough to get them home. I think it worked for me just based on where I was at with the puzzle and where my mind was at as soon as I saw the title. I’m happy to explain on Monday if anyone really cares.

In retrospect I think this is a KAS 2 - KAS 3 for me - following the solving steps Joe Ross & others laid out got me 75% of the way home - as is often the case I couldn’t take the second level step w/o help. But the KAS scale is completely subjective - I would say every puzzle I don’t get is a KAS 5+ and the ones I do get I would say are all KAS 1.

I don’t know if that was at all useful or insightful of if it was just a waste of space but that is my take.
Last edited by TPS on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Our Sunday report a bit early.

There has been mostly stumbling and fumbling to shore with a few seeing the answer immediately

First we have a new muggle - flamingbear - Welcome to the group

And we have 40 on the ship and 57 on the shore. This one may be the most lowest number in 2020. I have this suspicion that Matt and Mike conspired to give us back to back challenges.

Rummaging around the ship's rabbit holes or commiserating with Isaac are
yourpalsal
PeterL
eag;e1279
BrianDavidson
Colin
Lbray53
Beth A
FrankH
Jeremy
SewYoung
SusanH
rexthree
MatthewB
Tripod
Hidden in 3D - and good luck with your editting - Wendy feels your pain
and scooby

Making it to shore with varying levels of support are
the Thurman8er
LesY
diplomatt
flamingbear
ky-mike
MaineMarge
Your humbled Cruise Director (Abased so I can have ABCD?)
Mike H
Schmeel
Jim and Anita
Wdunbar
and DrTom

Good luck to all and let me know who I missed among the skiing and other chatter.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
KayW

Post by KayW »

TPS wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 am
Meta falls.
Before I solved this one but while I was trying I opined that it was probably a KAS 1 or KAS 2 - which sent a lot of people thinking I was saying it was easy rather than I was speculating that it was easy.

After that I got a nudge centered around one word - that specific one word was enough to get me home. Several people have asked me for that one word - I’ve given it but apparently it wasn’t enough to get them home. I think it worked for me just based on where I was at with the puzzle and where my mind was at as soon as I saw the title. I’m happy to explain on Monday if anyone really cares.

In retrospect I think this is a KAS 2 - KAS 3 for me - following the solving steps Joe Ross & others laid out got me 75% of the way home - as is often the case I couldn’t take the second level step w/o help. But the KAS scale is completely subjective - I would say every puzzle I don’t get is a KAS 5+ and the ones I do get I would say are all KAS 1.

I don’t if that was at all useful or insightful of if it was just a waste of space but that is my take.
I hope you'll share that one word and the explanation post-deadline. I'm already onshore but always like hearing how others approach the metas.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore after a kind nudge. not submitting this week because i don't think i would have gotten this on my own. very clever.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Meta falls.
11?
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

I'm on the ship for the second week in a row; count me out of submitting. I'll take a nudge. I'll tell what I have so far in PM.

Thanks to a nudge, you can put me on shore. Obviously won't be submitting. I don't think I'd have seen that one for a long while. My personal rabbit hole was just too deep to dig out of.

I will say that if you're struggling, Step 1 was the hardest for me. After that it was straightforward.
Last edited by Devilbunny on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bless your heart (in the good sense, not the sarcastic); tough assignment. I will pray for guidance for you.
pamster

Post by pamster »

I would love a hint if someone wants to PM me. I've marked up three printouts already and still no shore in sight.

Update: I think I have it. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by pamster on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Welcome to my world. In real life I'm a freelance copy editor and proofreader for college-level books. Fortunately I edit a wide variety of books, and you never know when the info will be useful in solving a puzzle!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am officially on the ship. Got the answer with significant help so I will not claim victory. Glad that I got a nudge. None of my many rabbit holes were even in the cabbage patch.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Gpiggies

Post by Gpiggies »

Enjoying this one and the process, though I'm probably down the wrong rabbit hole(s). Not sure if there are normally this many rabbits in the ocean...
Joe

Post by Joe »

I've been nudged. I know EXACTLY what to do. And I've still got nothing.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:26 pm I've been nudged. I know EXACTLY what to do. And I've still got nothing.
Well that makes me feel better...…..
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:34 pm
Welcome to my world. In real life I'm a freelance copy editor and proofreader for college-level books. Fortunately I edit a wide variety of books, and you never know when the info will be useful in solving a puzzle!
You each get only one war story Tuesday night.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director