"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 pm Earworms, earworms. For those suffering, I offer what a friend sent me:
Earworm remedy.jpg
:lol: I am definitely stealing this one.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

It may be almost too late to post this, but I just finished watching the National Theatre at home production of Amadeus. If I'm doing the time zone math properly (always a big if for me), I think it's streaming only until about noon on 7/23. It's a wonderful production and includes a tiny bit of this week's earworm late in the second act...

https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/show ... me-amadeus

...The fragment is at roughly 2:28:40 if you don't have time to watch the entire play. But if you have a few hours to spend I recommend it highly.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:58 am
BarbaraK wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:47 am For a while there, I was wondering if this was April Fools Day and the correct answer was NONSENSE - because that's all I was finding, and it certainly describes some lyrics.

While scouring the grid, I did spot this shoutout to our hosts

WSJ in WSJ.jpg
I was going to submit NONSENSE at the last minute if I never figured it out. I didn't figure it out, but I forgot to submit.
That one occurred to me, as did ASSININE (I realize I included an extra S). :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, be careful what you wish for. I said I needed to get rid of "Twinkle, Twinkle - ABC - BAH BAH - etc." and Joe Ross sent me "It's a Small World After All"!!! In the words of Daffy Duck, "You're deshpicable". I have pushed BirdLives's Q-Tip entirely through to the other side and I can still hear the little people sing (and it is not the song of angry men, nor the music of a people who will not be slaves to a META again!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:35 pm Wow, be careful what you wish for. I said I needed to get rid of "Twinkle, Twinkle - ABC - BAH BAH - etc." and Joe Ross sent me "It's a Small World After All"!!! In the words of Daffy Duck, "You're deshpicable". I have pushed BirdLives's Q-Tip entirely through to the other side and I can still hear the little people sing (and it is not the song of angry men, nor the music of a people who will not be slaves to a META again!)
Ah, my favorite all time musical (Les Mis)... don't mind that earworm, although it's gonna require a lot more Q-tips to push Hamilton out of my head.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 pm
DrTom wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:35 pm Wow, be careful what you wish for. I said I needed to get rid of "Twinkle, Twinkle - ABC - BAH BAH - etc." and Joe Ross sent me "It's a Small World After All"!!! In the words of Daffy Duck, "You're deshpicable". I have pushed BirdLives's Q-Tip entirely through to the other side and I can still hear the little people sing (and it is not the song of angry men, nor the music of a people who will not be slaves to a META again!)
Ah, my favorite all time musical (Les Mis)... don't mind that earworm, although it's gonna require a lot more Q-tips to push Hamilton out of my head.
Well then you'll recognize this slightly modified prelude to our own "Les Miserables":

Look down, look down
Look down and then across
The clue is there
I think that I’m just lost…

I dreamed a dream of weeks gone by
When I had solved the META problem
No taking hints upon the sly
My friends; did not involve them....

Master of the grid, keeper of the zoo
Ready to relieve 'em of a soul or two
Toughening up the clues, making up the weight
Pickin' on their brain cells til they can't see straight
Everybody loves a crossword
Everybody's secret drug
I do whatever pleases
Jesus! They won’t ever get a mug!...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 am
Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:17 pm
Well then you'll recognize this slightly modified prelude to our own "Les Miserables":

Look down, look down
The clue is there

Everybody's secret drug
I do whatever pleases
Really clever, and you definitely had me singing it/them in my head... nice job!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:49 am Well then you'll recognize this slightly modified prelude to our own "Les Miserables":

Look down, look down
The clue is there

Everybody's secret drug
I do whatever pleases
This is awesome! I love it!!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I think Sir Andrew would forgive me, and at least the lyrics are not puzzling!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 pm I think Sir Andrew would forgive me, and at least the lyrics are not puzzling!
Sir Andrew probably couldn't care less. This one is by Schönberg and Boublil‎, who also did "Miss Saigon;" my second favorite musical. They also wrote one called "Martin Guerre," which -- except for Kismet -- might be the worst musical ever. Wel-l-l, maybe "Cannibal: The Musical," by the creators of South Park.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I'll be darned, I (apparently like many people) associate Les Mis with SALW and was surprised when I looked that he was not. But, I'm sure he would care and I am expecting his call any minute now to tell me he would like to do a musical called Le Meta with the tunes I adapted. It will star Matt Gaffney as Jabber, Mike Schenk as Jester of the House and Al Sisti as Job Well Done....can't wait for the rehearsals.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh and of course Joe would play Merry Ross.....
KayW

Post by KayW »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:44 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 pm I think Sir Andrew would forgive me, and at least the lyrics are not puzzling!
Sir Andrew probably couldn't care less. This one is by Schönberg and Boublil‎, who also did "Miss Saigon;" my second favorite musical. They also wrote one called "Martin Guerre," which -- except for Kismet -- might be the worst musical ever. Wel-l-l, maybe "Cannibal: The Musical," by the creators of South Park.
How did I ever miss Cannibal: the Musical?! I am definitely checking that out...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm Oh and of course Joe would play Merry Ross.....
I have a sister, Mary, but she can't carry a tune in a bucket.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:40 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 pm Oh and of course Joe would play Merry Ross.....
I have a sister, Mary, but she can't carry a tune in a bucket.
I love to break into song, but several have pointed out that if I had the right key I wouldn't have to break in.....
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.