"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

whimsy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:41 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:05 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm My afternoon status is "on the ship." Some days, you're the windshield, some days you suck. Or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMZy2nky7U

My ratio of "Louisville Slugger" to "Ball" is a lot lower than I'd like it to be. Still on the ship (aka "bug") on this one.
For another angle, there could also be line about some days you're the windshield and some days you're the pigeon! ;)
Some days you're the pigeon and some days you're Randy Johnson.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Safely ashore. Took a bit of time and navigation but made it home.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Enjoyed a Ranch Water cocktail this evening with Isaac. Then spent time swimming with bunnies but didn’t make it to shore.
Going to switch to the cryptic for a while.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

So, not asking for a nudge, but is it a 100% answer? I've come up with a couple answers that answer the question, but none of them could be considered locks.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 pm So, not asking for a nudge, but is it a 100% answer? I've come up with a couple answers that answer the question, but none of them could be considered locks.
100%
ALS

Post by ALS »

Very much on the ship. Can't even find the bar.

ALS
Gpiggies

Post by Gpiggies »

New here, have been lurking the last couple months. Life since coronavirus has been sad (my pug passed away) and the metas are the one thing I look forward to each week. I think I'm close this week, or perhaps not. Can someone give me the slightest nudge? Would much appreciate it, and I won't submit for the mug.

Edit: thanks to those who are helping with nudges. On shore now with some red wine
Last edited by Gpiggies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Gpiggies, I’m so sorry to hear about your pug. I’d love to give you a nudge but I got nothin’.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

FB_IMG_1595126869904.jpg
As you can see, I am floundering out here! I would appreciate a confirmation on if I am at least facing shore or heading into deeper water.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Gpiggies wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:12 pm New here, have been lurking the last couple months. Life since coronavirus has been sad (my pug passed away) and the metas are the one thing I look forward to each week. I think I'm close this week, or perhaps not. Can someone give me the slightest nudge? Would much appreciate it, and I won't submit for the mug.

Edit: thanks to those to are helping with nudges.
So sorry to hear about your pet. DM me if you need a nudge.
Heidi
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm on the boat with Isaac, sadly ...

both Gaffney's beating me up this week.

Thought this grid more difficult than many.

Will keep picking it up and putting it down, hoping to find a tune I can carry.

Which ... ain't many.

EDIT: I'm convinced that, between my left-handed father and the nuns, I started life on this planet as a left-handed (look up the origins of "sinister" sometime) person and was ... shall we say "retrained" as a right-handed person? Cause I try to do as many things left handed as I can, and can do many of them better than a right handed person can.

My favorite is playing tennis - when you're playing right-handed and there's a shot deep down the back-hand side of the court, you lunge left, throw the racquet to your left hand, and make a slicing left-handed forehand shot down the line, spinning nastily out of the reach of your opponent.

I've done it more times than I should have ... and there's nothing in the rules of tennis that, to my knowledge, prohibit you from switching hands, mid-point. :)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

on shore after a ton of attempts. really feeling good that I was able to crack this one - probably the hardest meta I've been able to solve since starting in March!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:43 pm So, not asking for a nudge, but is it a 100% answer? I've come up with a couple answers that answer the question, but none of them could be considered locks.
100%
Al, when you get it as I know you will, you'll be amused that you of all people were stumped... :D
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

It is a brilliant puzzle.

Friggin' Gaffney must have been cackling around his cauldron while concocting it. I'm torn between genuflecting in his presence or throwing a bucket of water on him, should we ever meet.

Looking forward to muggles' reactions, post-reveal.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Well, here it is, Sunday morning and the shore is not in sight. Looking for a nudge or confirmation that my approach is on track if anyone is willing to do so.
Meg

Post by Meg »

yourpalsal wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 am
FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 pm
100%
Al, when you get it as I know you will, you'll be amused that you of all people were stumped... :D
OMG Sal, so true!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I knew, a couple weeks ago when I was bragging about my 52 week solo WSJ solving streak, that I was tempting fate and that the meta gods would ensure that my hubris was punished. I fully expected it to end right then and there. But no, they led me on for just a bit longer. This week though, it's starting to look like the time has come. I'm so totally at sea. Rabbit holes everywhere, but no bunny in sight, and I don't even have a lot of confidence that I've got the right starting point yet. Maybe post enlightenment will strike. And in the meantime, Isaac and my fellow shipbound muggles are good company.

As for the weekly side conversation, I'm very right handed.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I see something... a definite theme... or maybe a red herring. I just can't get off the boat. I didn't find the grid especially hard, so I fear this may be one of those where my wiring is opposite of what is needed.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Thanks to a couple of confirmations that I was on the right path, I believe that I can now be counted as on shore.

Back to MGWCC (which some commented was easier than the WSJ this week)
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:13 pm
Commodore wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:33 pm Asea.
Which is exactly where a commodore is supposed to be :D
Aye. But the Sea o' Gaffney drives one to madness.
(as does watching left-handed golf swings.)
MORE GROG, MISTER ISAAC!