"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

cbarbee002 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:57 amKAS 5?
The KAS scale is explained at

forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

For the record, APES in the top line popped (after exploring a few previously mentioned rabbit holes), then considered/looked for two MANs to match - to verify the possible path. Then looked to see if there were five of each. Or, some combination of the last two steps!

'til Thursday,
MAL
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:24 am Because we have had so much discussion, it was several pages back that Sal published the link to the zoom discussion so here it is again. The show starts at 7:30pm EST. All are welcome.
ZOOM LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093
Final reminder - looking forward to see y'all at 4:30pPT/7:30pET today!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 pm
SusieG wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm
my son doodled on my crossword

I nominate this for your xword-muggles avatar. Looks like Master Peanut.
Ha ha! We also noticed the similarity.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

TPS wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:19 pm Anyone who is interested in this discussion should definitely watch AMC’s brilliant ensemble drama - Halt & Catch Fire - almost no one watched it and it is one of the best 10 TV shows ever made.
Watched the first two episodes last night -- seems to be something that crosses over interests of both me and my husband which is good. After that maybe we'll jump ahead in the timeline of computing and try Meg's Upload. :)
Hector

Post by Hector »

TPS wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:19 pm Anyone who is interested in this discussion should definitely watch AMC’s brilliant ensemble drama - Halt & Catch Fire - almost no one watched it and it is one of the best 10 TV shows ever made.
I've bragged about this before, but on season 4 episode 5, at 4:51 you can hear 1989 me playing guitar on the radio while a character washes dishes.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm
I've bragged about this before, but on season 4 episode 5, at 4:51 you can hear 1989 me playing guitar on the radio while a character washes dishes.
Great! -- another good reason to keep on keeping on! :)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

yourpalsal wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:24 am Because we have had so much discussion, it was several pages back that Sal published the link to the zoom discussion so here it is again. The show starts at 7:30pm EST. All are welcome.
ZOOM LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093
Final reminder - looking forward to see y'all at 4:30pPT/7:30pET today!
Sal hosted nearly 20 muggles, tonight, with 16 at a time for most of the 80 minutes. THANK YOU, SAL!

For those attending:

BOSTON - AIRPORTS CODES.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

glad to have stopped by, even though for only a short time.

my wife arrived with our curbside pick up of dinner - I had a very nice Salsiccia sandwich, onions, peppers and red marinara.

will try to stay longer with the group next week.

Later,
Tom
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Sorry I was only there for a few minutes! (And I lost the audio for one of those, so I hope you weren't asking me anything.) I decided it would be easier to eat dinner at the same time as my husband tonight.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob, I think, asked:

Dragon's Milk, by New Holland Brewing, Holland, Michigan. A gift from my daughter. The 11% ABV is why I needed to BBIAB for more agua...

New Holland Brewing Dragon Milk.gif

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Hector

Post by Hector »

I think they may have left some bourbon in those barrels.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 pm I think they may have left some bourbon in those barrels.
Oof!

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
No objections from me. I seem to recall, Bob, that you just had an avatar showing. No actual video of you. Some kind of conspiracy, I’m sure.......
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I don't mind.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Hector wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:20 pm
What is the name of the song and your band? I must have missed that story.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

Fine with me, too.
Heidi
Meg

Post by Meg »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 pmI don't mind.
Were you there? Yesterday? In disguise?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 am I got diverted into a rabbit hole trying to "link" several of the 7-letter entries that were anagrams of each other with a two-letter difference:

paRApet - papeEtE
actEDon - tacoMAn
aCTedon - oneadAY
GeRmane - emanATe - enameLS

All of course a side-effect of working so many APE-MANs into close proximity in the grid. What an amazing construction!
Boy, talk about conditioned! I saw a bird and a bunch of random letters capitalized and spent the last 5 minutes trying to make a bird name! But unless there is a RAEEEDMACTAYRATLS (which may or may not be a relative of the pterodactyl) I wasted my time. Sorry KayW, thought you were LadyBird for a moment!

Oh, and I completely missed the Louis Leakey reference. I'm getting better but I am still not a "ready for prime time muggle".

Sorry I missed Tuesday evening, rather grueling day at work and I opted for alcohol and Wheel/Jeopardy rather than take my upset and addled self on line.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!