"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:24 pm
fuggedabowdit wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:37 pm Another route to the island.
All three long answers have double letters(SS, LL, CC) as does STRESS(SS) in the title. Only one clue, 42 acroSS, contains all 3 of these letters in the order in which they are presented in the grid (S-L-C). Coincidence?? or bassackwards?? A-Plus meta
? SULPA has no C in it, around it maybe, but not in it? I must be missing a part of the alternative route.
The clue itself contains the S, L, C letters in that order, not the answer to the clue, and as stated before, is the only clue that has this property. It just leads you straight to the puzzle answer, albeit in reverse.
Never trouble trouble til trouble troubles you !
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm
All three long answers have double letters(SS, LL, CC) as does STRESS(SS) in the title. Only one clue, 42 acroSS, contains all 3 of these letters in the order in which they are presented in the grid (S-L-C). Coincidence?? or bassackwards?? A-Plus meta
? SULPA has no C in it, around it maybe, but not in it? I must be missing a part of the alternative route.
Dr. Tom, I think he's talking about the clue, not the answer. But after this weekend my brain hurts (and I don't even drink!) so I could be wrong! See you on Tuesday night I hope.
Dr. Tom, I think he's talking about the clue, not the answer.
You thought right!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

FrankH wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm Too bad the island is Sulpa not Gum. I suppose WSJ isn't so generous.
If it were GUAM, I'd settle for an A-.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:37 pm
Hector wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:22 pm Untitled.jpg

A few days ago on our deck. Red-tailed hawks?
The black band across the white chest makes me think Red-tailed Hawk. How nice to have a pair.
While we were having lunch on our deck, this red tailed was having his lunch in a nearby tree.
Attachments
Robert Stevens_2020_07_06_7D_RMS_9689-3.JPG
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:42 pm

The black band across the white chest makes me think Red-tailed Hawk. How nice to have a pair.
While we were having lunch on our deck, this red tailed was having his lunch in a nearby tree.
What a beautiful creature! I am fascinated by raptors. We have some hawks but they mainly circle overhead and don't come down to our yard. We have a few cats so perhaps that is why, though I doubt that fellow would be scared off by a cat, more likely the other way round!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm
FrankH wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm Too bad the island is Sulpa not Gum. I suppose WSJ isn't so generous.
Dang that's good - I LOVE a great comeback.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

fuggedabowdit wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:29 pm
The clue itself contains the S, L, C letters in that order, not the answer to the clue, and as stated before, is the only clue that has this property. It just leads you straight to the puzzle answer, albeit in reverse.
Wow, Detective Columbo I thought you were dead! I NEVER would have noticed that and I'm absolutely amazed that you were able to ferret that out. I stand corrected and humbled!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm
Dr. Tom, I think he's talking about the clue, not the answer. But after this weekend my brain hurts (and I don't even drink!) so I could be wrong! See you on Tuesday night I hope.
Oops - you were exactly right. I hope to be there Tuesday, I don't have an early day Wednesday so I'll probably make it - assuming I don't hurt myself jumping to conclusions.
fuggedabowdit

Post by fuggedabowdit »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:02 pm
fuggedabowdit wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Wow, Detective Columbo I thought you were dead! I NEVER would have noticed that and I'm absolutely amazed that you were able to ferret that out. I stand corrected and humbled!
Well, you are from Florida :roll:
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Squirrel? Tastes like chicken ( when cooked).

Absolutely beautiful bird-- and a great pic.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

whimsy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:13 pm Oh, and I thought "discouraging words" (euphemism?! ;) ) were seldom heard where Antelope are at play. But I bet they weren't so mutually exclusive in a lot of our "homes" the last few days! :)
"Don't worry, I'll still love you even if you don't solve the puzzle," said my utterly noncompetitive significant other on Sunday night.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Tom Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:15 pm I can't help but ask, albeit randomly, if anyone saw one of our favorite WSJ Crossword Puzzle Contest celebrities among the answers in Sunday's NYT acrostic.
Oh, yes! At clue F. I gotta queue her up on YouTube!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Okay--now I have to add my raptor picture! On Mondays, I volunteer at a wildlife hospital and rehabilitation center. I brought lunch--11 mice (already dead)--to these lovely American Kestrels. There were actually 7 in the cage but I couldn't get a picture with all of them in it since they were flying around quite a bit. I'm just glad that I didn't get clipped.
Attachments
kestrel2.jpg
ReB

Post by ReB »

A bit frustrating, as A-PLUS was the first answer I thought of, but couldn't find a backwards solution for it, falling into many rabbit holes (especially thinking that 60D was a mechanism clue). Not sure I would have figured the mechanism even if I had seen that SULPA was A-PLUS written upside down.

I finally decided to submit WSJ MUG as my facetious answer just for entertainment value. And it is the case that several times in my life I have made what I though were facetious statements that actually turned out to be correct! (Not this time, though :( )
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:41 pm
Keep ‘em comin guys. We’re lovin it.
ROFL..etc.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm Okay--now I have to add my raptor picture! On Mondays, I volunteer at a wildlife hospital and rehabilitation center. I brought lunch--11 mice (already dead)--to these lovely American Kestrels. There were actually 7 in the cage but I couldn't get a picture with all of them in it since they were flying around quite a bit. I'm just glad that I didn't get clipped.
I volunteer at the Los Angeles Zoo and we have a lovely California Condor named Hope who has a bad wing and can’t be released. We use her to teach conservation. I love the raptors!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:23 pm
LadyBird wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:58 pm Okay--now I have to add my raptor picture! On Mondays, I volunteer at a wildlife hospital and rehabilitation center. I brought lunch--11 mice (already dead)--to these lovely American Kestrels. There were actually 7 in the cage but I couldn't get a picture with all of them in it since they were flying around quite a bit. I'm just glad that I didn't get clipped.
I volunteer at the Los Angeles Zoo and we have a lovely California Condor named Hope who has a bad wing and can’t be released. We use her to teach conservation. I love the raptors!
Then at the opposite end of the spectrum you will appreciate this picture I took several years ago of a Northern Saw Whet Owl weighing in at about 80 (male) to 100 (female) grams - about 2.8 to 3.5 ounces
Attachments
Northern_Saw_Whet_Owl_in_flight.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Can't show ya'll here, but tomorrow night at the Zoom gathering, I will show a picture of me from many years ago with a falcon (if I remember correctly) on a leather glove on my hand. That picture is on the wall at the lake house, where I will be starting tomorrow afternoon.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:20 pm
hcbirker wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:23 pm
Then at the opposite end of the spectrum you will appreciate this picture I took several years ago of a Northern Saw Whet Owl weighing in at about 80 (male) to 100 (female) grams - about 2.8 to 3.5 ounces
I love Saw-whet Owls. We had one as a patient once and I got to hold it as I moved it from one cage to another. I've never seen one in the wild, though, so it is not on my life list (yet).

Seems like you're a bit of a birder/ photographer. Even if I saw one, I wouldn't be able to get a pic like that.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Squirrel? Tastes like chicken ( when cooked).

Absolutely beautiful bird-- and a great pic.
Or perhaps chicken tastes like squirrel? Still I'd imagine prepared "bleu" as the French would say (and as the picture implied) imparts a completely different flavor.

I've often wondered, if asked would a large carnivore declare, "Humans, they taste like chicken".