"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Inca

Post by Inca »

8.42 Looking at the grid again. Not seeing a thing. I guess that's it. Well, at least I'm not wacky....
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well, after a nudge, I made my way to shore. Won't be submitting, but loved the solve.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

"Stress? Who could say? Ahh, but the strawberries! That's - that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes, but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with - geometric logic..... Send for Isaac at once!
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.38.32 PM.jpg
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

SpicyMcFatburger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:42 pm Not seeing it this week, this is only my third WSJ contest crossword, so a 33% success rate doesn't feel too bad. Oh well, staying on the ship for now!
Keep at it! The more you do, the more you learn how to solve these things!
Heidi
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:06 pm
Devilbunny wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm It even inspired an XKCD comic: Image
Unfortunately it is not a universal theorem and appears to work only for select things. It does not work for driving and, from hazy memories of 50+ years ago, does NOT make you cooler in bars. The bar phenomenon is best explained by refraction, where a witty repartee viewed through alcohol did not go the way it looked in your mind.
Tom, do you seriously think you can dissuade muggles from finding their optimal B.A.C.?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:33 pm Could be red tails. Or Cooper's.
I've got four of them around my house all of a sudden. Those were the two suggestions I heard too, but their cries don't sound like the ones I've found online.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 pm
I've got four of them around my house all of a sudden. Those were the two suggestions I heard too, but their cries don't sound like the ones I've found online.
This is the time of the year where the red tails have fledged and are not being fed by the parents. Often the nest mates sit in the trees and call for food that is not coming. The cries you hear are different than the adult calls that you can hear on line.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Aunt Norma and I are still 11 down unfortunately.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 31 on the ship and 116 on the shore

First we welcome our newest muggles - SpicyMcFatburger and RichA2

Since lunch we have had several join Isaac in the bar for his humor and drinks

Patty
PJM
tim1217 who was there all along
beccacollins
BrianD
ccmac
Flamel616
SpicyMcFatburger
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma

And making it to the shore, some with a long Hail Mary pass which may be the only pass we see this football season

Mark L
stmv
Anita
jimbo1
Devilbunny
ClayD
Ayaka and Tony
RichA2
SewYoung
rexthree
Daniel G
Tori.I
cbarbee002
and norrin2

Good luck to all and stay safe

and Good Night Mrs. Calabash wherever you are.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm Our final count is 31 on the ship and 116 on the shore

First we welcome our newest muggles - SpicyMcFatburger and RichA2

Since lunch we have had several join Isaac in the bar for his humor and drinks

Patty
PJM
tim1217 who was there all along
beccacollins
BrianD
ccmac
Flamel616
SpicyMcFatburger
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma

And making it to the shore, some with a long Hail Mary pass which may be the only pass we see this football season

Mark L
stmv
Anita
jimbo1
Devilbunny
ClayD
Ayaka and Tony
RichA2
SewYoung
rexthree
Daniel G
Tori.I
cbarbee002
and norrin2

Good luck to all and stay safe

Me too, Bob!
Dapperdan

Post by Dapperdan »

On shore. Quite the surprise answer. Time for tea.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Late Sunday but in time! I’m ashore!! Latest I’ve submitted I think...but clever...
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I'm ashore after a nudge. Keeping tradition of rowing in late, haha.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 pm Unfortunately it is not a universal theorem and appears to work only for select things. It does not work for driving and, from hazy memories of 50+ years ago, does NOT make you cooler in bars. The bar phenomenon is best explained by refraction, where a witty repartee viewed through alcohol did not go the way it looked in your mind.
I'm pretty sure there is no food or drink that would make most of us cool - in bars or most anywhere else.

Except maybe a muggle forum where nerdiness is cool. :geek:
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I got nothing. Hanging out on the ship drinking a Holiday Weekend by Prairie Artisan Ales.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Jacksull wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 pm I guess that I am officially a meta geek (along with my bird nerd title). I just created a spreadsheet to track the date, puzzle (title, clue, solution), creator, if I solved it, and my bird reference. :geek:
I see you adding columns to the spreadsheet to describe the conventions used in each puzzle (e.g., importance of title, type of theme entries, steps required, clue and clue number significance, cross references). The list goes on, geekiness knows no bounds.
You speak like someone with experience!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:12 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:45 pm Unfortunately it is not a universal theorem and appears to work only for select things. It does not work for driving and, from hazy memories of 50+ years ago, does NOT make you cooler in bars. The bar phenomenon is best explained by refraction, where a witty repartee viewed through alcohol did not go the way it looked in your mind.
I'm pretty sure there is no food or drink that would make most of us cool - in bars or most anywhere else.

Except maybe a muggle forum where nerdiness is cool. :geek:
and I'm pretty sure that none of us NEED that affirmation of "cool" because the majority of those who were "cool" (when that word was actually used to describe people who were) are probably working for us? I used to fret because I was a nerd of sorts and not cool until I found out that nerdiness was cool. What a treat to have a forum where that trait is not only de rigueur but may be a pre-requisite. I do love my muggle brothers and sisters. :ugeek:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm
Inka Dinka Doo Bob, Inka DInka Doo (can't tell you how many times I have had to tell younger colleagues who "that gravelly voiced guy singing Frosty the Snowman" was....

I'm sad that with the passing of Carl Reiner we now have one less old vaudevillian in our midst. I mean there are some good new comedians, but very few who could work "clean" and still get a laugh.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Colin

Post by Colin »

And this weeks score:
MATT 1 - 0 COLIN
(FINAL)
Thought literally and laterally but in the end... the sun and beer got to me.
One world. One planet. One future.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 pm
Ours are screechy, where the screech is loud but not what you might expect for their size.