"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore, I think?

I quickly got an answer that seems correct but leaves a lot of pieces on the table, so to speak.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Meg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:06 am It bears repeating, especially for those who are drinking god-knows-what peaty thing with Isaac, that this meta is wacky. Or wackadoodle for BBT fans. So if your tunnel leads you to a rabbit that seems a bit abnormal, stay with it. You can figure it out.
Thanks for the encouragement, Meg, but for the past few days I've been feeling like Lisa Simpson when she meets Allison Taylor and has to re-think her own intelligence. I just can't crack this one!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I forgot to print this on Thursday, but got to it after the MGWCC on Friday. I had a couple detours, but I'm safely on shore.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:11 am
Thanks for the encouragement, Meg, but for the past few days I've been feeling like Lisa Simpson when she meets Allison Taylor and has to re-think her own intelligence. I just can't crack this one!
Really? I'm surprised. I can see that some would have a hard time with this one, but I didn't think you'd be one. And you haven't missed one in ages, right? You'll get it!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:11 am
Really? I'm surprised. I can see that some would have a hard time with this one, but I didn't think you'd be one. And you haven't missed one in ages, right? You'll get it!
Thanks! I have a Hail Mary in my back pocket but I don't think that's the answer ...
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Toes in sand, drink in hand.
The Geezer has landed.
I am a man of few...
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Not seeing it yet...
Nlbil

Post by Nlbil »

Ashore!!!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I just received an email with the following subject line, “This sand is your sand…” NOT! I am totally LAS and my toes won’t be finding the grainy stuff anytime soon, I fear. Maybe I’ll head up to the walking/running track on the top deck to clear my head. I’ll check to see if there’s anything I can tend to in the garden, Marge.
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday all. I hope you had a great fourth and are enjoying the day after.

We have a crowded ship with 26 partaking of the various activities and 103 on the shore.

New to the ship since yesterday are
Miki
Jeremy
LittleGood
Ed S
Diane
Burak
Rexthree

And on the shore are
JoePicket
edot
Tom Wi
MajorDomoTom
eagle1279
STL-D
Dough C
billkatz
ricky
phofer
Nibil
and Geezer

Good luck with the meta and mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 am
IMO - this has been the hardest meta I have ever attempted in the 60 weeks I have been doing them. It is on a PGW level. The closest puzzle I can sorta compare it to recently is TALLY but I think the difficulty was increased over that by an order of magnitude.

One thing I have learned from this is that there are a few people Here who share a learning disability w/ me and for those of us with it these are very difficult (although another Muggle did suggest a way to remedy that and I feel like a fool for not thinking of it before - so maybe that will help).
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

Onshore, but only thanks to the kindness of two Muggle rescue boats.

I started metas about 6 months ago and sometimes I feel like I've gotten progressively worse in my solve rate.
Fearing I'll be demoted to the forum for "Struggles" instead of "Muggles" :(
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 pm If I'm going to drink single malts I like the smokey, peaty ones like Lagavulin and Laphroaig. Most of the time I will just enjoy Blue.
Big Laphroaig fan here, but don't drink it as often in the hot weather. Gotta go visit my 1 square foot plot someday.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
AyakaTonyCoffman

Post by AyakaTonyCoffman »

After a grueling weekend wrestling with a grid shaped shark, we have finally arrived safely on the beach!
Last edited by AyakaTonyCoffman on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Finally ashore.
Tom Collin’s all around!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Geezer Weezer wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am Toes in sand, drink in hand.
The Geezer has landed.
On an island in the sun, you'll be playing and having fun! Hip, hip, Geezer.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!
I love your birdiegrams, too! This week’s answer was especially appropriate under the circumstances that occurred shortly after I finished filling in the grid on Friday morning. I was sitting on my screened porch and heard a loud splash on the lake. When I looked up there were two of those magnificent birds heading away from me, one with a fish in his/her talons. (They were both juveniles so it was hard to tell their gender.) I watched in awe as the second bird flew behind the first, making every move in unison with the leading bird. It was as if their flight had been choreographed. So beautiful!

Now you are really not going to believe my next sentence. As I was typing the paragraph above, another one of these great birds splashed down to catch a fish in our little cove. Unfortunately, this attempt was not successful. :(

Finally, I have a suggestion for your son and DIL, or for future sending since I know I am posting long after your original request for ideas. I just have to give a shout-out to a great online bakery here in NC. Check out Carolina Cookie Company: www.carolinacookie.com. I have sent several boxes to friends and relatives over the years to celebrate all sorts of occasions. Yes, I would have preferred to do my own baking, but when you are not nearby, this is a lovely alternative.
Sara
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Sorry I missed making the final report, but I think I am finally on shore. I finally saw something that fits with what I thought I saw a couple of days ago. I am calling myself ashore.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Untitled.jpg
A few days ago on our deck. Red-tailed hawks?
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Could be red tails. Or Cooper's.
Heidi