"Grids for Good"

Discuss meta crosswords from sources other than those listed above.
FrankieHeck

"Grids for Good"

Post by FrankieHeck »

Wasn't sure where to put this, because it's more than just metas, but there is a collection of 42 puzzles by some great constructors , including three metas (with a contest/prize) available at https://gridsforgood.org/

You need to send in a receipt showing at least a $10 donation to a covid-related charity or a raical justice organization to receive the files. I have been trying to reduce my spending on entertainment etc. to zero, but I'm a sucker for metas with prizes, so I went for this one.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Frankie, I’m so glad you posted this. I saw it on Twitter this morning. The list of constructors is amazing. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to resist.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Early on in the shutdown, I sent $1200 to four employees of the Irish pub that I frequent when they were getting stonewalled trying to get unemployment benefits, and gave another $500 to a local woman who was making masks, but obviously got no receipts. But what an awesome idea for an entry fee!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I was right. I couldn’t resist. A Trail Mix by Patrick Berry, but FIRST the meta contest consisting of 3 puzzles. First puzzle was a walk in the park. On to the next!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:13 pm I was right. I couldn’t resist. A Trail Mix by Patrick Berry, but FIRST the meta contest consisting of 3 puzzles. First puzzle was a walk in the park. On to the next!
These are too easy! On to number three. I'm sure I'll enjoy the non-metas too, though!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Okay, I'm in; I've forwarded a food-bank donation receipt.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well the metas were finished way too quickly. Now I can go back and try to figure out the PGW before the WSJ comes out! I guess the chances of winning the GridsForGood prize will be slim!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Frankie, I’m stuck on the third one! I’ll pm you.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Meg wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:31 pm Frankie, I’m stuck on the third one! I’ll pm you.
I replied, but it looks like you figured it out as I was answering you!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well the metas didn't put up much of a fight, but they're pleasant nonetheless.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Just got the packet. What a great assortment of puzzles! That must have taken a lot of work! Will work on the metas (metae?) tomorrow, but sounds like they aren't that difficult. What a great idea!
Heidi
stmv

Post by stmv »

I got these puzzles, which are very worthwhile in every sense. I've now solved all three metas. For me they weren't as easy as the current MGWCC, but were easier than the current WSJ meta. In particular I stared at #9 for way too long before it clicked.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Thanks for posting this! I signed up.

Unsurprisingly, I went straight to the metas. Agree they weren't very hard, but still fun. The third was my favorite.

Now on to the non-metas.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I signed up as well. They should keep me busy this week at the real beach. I'm going to try to go straight through all 42 in order over the course of the week.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:26 pm I signed up as well. They should keep me busy this week at the real beach. I'm going to try to go straight through all 42 in order over the course of the week.
I did the 3 metas, then the variety puzzles, and now I’m doing the crosswords. Themeless last. I'm not a big fan of themeless puzzles.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I've done the Trail Mix, the Pangram Midi, the variety cryptic, the Labyrinth, and the "Seek Your Fortune" meta so far. Much fun!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:51 am I've done the Trail Mix, the Pangram Midi, the variety cryptic, the Labyrinth, and the "Seek Your Fortune" meta so far. Much fun!
Just finished the other two metas and submitted. The swag bag is mine! Bwahhahahahahah!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:02 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:51 am I've done the Trail Mix, the Pangram Midi, the variety cryptic, the Labyrinth, and the "Seek Your Fortune" meta so far. Much fun!
Just finished the other two metas and submitted. The swag bag is mine! Bwahhahahahahah!
Not unless I get it first!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Unless Sean Molley has a screen name I don’t know, I guess none of us muggles won the contest:(

Oh well. Congratulations, Sean!
Hector

Post by Hector »

These are great puzzles. I only have a couple left. They're all over the map, difficulty-wise, but all manageable with the key puzzler virtue of dedicated persistence (aka the vice of stubbornness). Joon Pahk's "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" gave me an especially hard but rewarding time. 42 (!) awesome puzzles. Sure, it rankles to have had to suck up my misanthropy and donate to a food bank, but it's been worth it.