"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I was adrift with the
Breeze on a holiday
Weekend and hoping that
Land would appear.

Puzzle pursuits can be
Monomaniacal,
Yet when they’re solved, I have
Nothing to fear!

Mr. Gaffney had me going for quite a while with this one, but at least I set it aside yesterday and got a good night's sleep. I have several things to say about this astute stumper, but I'll refrain for now rather than risk a spoiler, however oblique. So happy I am to have it done and submitted in time for Friday's Martini, at least.

Have a great holiday weekend, everyone!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Thurman8er wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:07 pm I got them both within two minutes of each other. Anyone else ever experience something like that?
I’m fortunate if I get them within two years of each other! :lol: :lol:
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

On shore. Wacky? Straightforward really. An hour in, saw what mattered and the rest fell into place. But the construct is a little funny, I agree. Catfish Friday with a draft Ziegenbach sounds just right.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

If the path to the answer is what I think it is, then this will definitely not be in my wheel house. And given a full day of yard work in 90+ degree heat, I'm happy to just sit with Isaac and enjoy several martinis (along with a couple of Tylenol).
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore. I needed a a nice puzzle like this one to end the week.

From the beginning, I was thinking "I bet Gaffney would do this." I still took a little while looking for other things before trusting my first instinct.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

For now, no mas
uhl68.jpg
Pick it up, again, on Sunday!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Amy

Post by Amy »

Stress Test = trying to solve this meta 😣
Completed grid, bases loaded and I’m batting zero.
Any nudges available?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

People knew that Sandy Koufax or Mariano Rivera were going to throw them a curve ball but they still could not hit it.

That was me this week. I got the sign from the catcher but still whiffed.

I am on the shore but it required help from the umpire giving me the benefit of some good calls.

I will be watching and hoping a muggle gets the mug. And crying in my beer on Tuesday evening.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

An enjoyable and fun trip to shore... I wonder if there'll be fireworks....
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I am definitely still on the ship --- or possibly that bus others have since abandoned ---- or maybe the donkey boat ---- yup, that lost!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:01 pm People knew that Sandy Koufax or Mariano Rivera were going to throw them a curve ball but they still could not hit it.

That was me this week. I got the sign from the catcher but still whiffed.

I am on the shore but it required help from the umpire giving me the benefit of some good calls.

I will be watching and hoping a muggle gets the mug. And crying in my beer on Tuesday evening.
C'mon Bob!

Koufax did have a great curveball. But Rivera only threw the cutter. Every single pitch. And they still couldn't hit it without a lot of luck.

Fun fact: I never met him but Koufax is a fraternity brother of mine.
Rufus T. Firefly
M and M

Post by M and M »

Funny, clever, and unusual. LIked this one.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Beth C wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm Toes in the sand. Solving the meta took a while but finally the light came on! Have a safe and fun weekend Muggles.
After yesterday's solve, recalling that LAS is our shorthand for Lost at Sea, I started typing shorthand for "Toes in the sand," but quickly decided against it.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

On shore! I'm not 100% but close enough to go with it. Safe drinking a Saint Errant Overgolded Double Dry hopped IPA.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 pm C'mon Bob!

Koufax did have a great curveball. But Rivera only threw the cutter. Every single pitch. And they still couldn't hit it without a lot of luck.
You know I almost posted pretty much this same comment but then I thought 95% of the people on here already think I am petty know it all that sucks at and whines about the meta - why give them another reason to think about the petty know it all part!

But I am glad I wasn’t the only baseball fan that thought this. :lol:
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Solved the grid Thursday evening and then wrote the answers in my WSJ Friday morning. Took that paper all around town with me while doing the holiday shopping. No aha moments yet.

Maybe the mimosa with oatmeal from last weekend is throwing me off...🤨

Happy birthday, America!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

Landed ashore on Friday night just before last call! Make me a double so I can catch up.

I enjoyed this one. I’m still waiting for a Mad magazine-like meta where you fold the puzzle just so to reveal the answer.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore in time for Fourth Festivities (watching/cheering a socially distanced neighborhood parade from the driveway & baking a Strawberry Rhubarb Meringue pie.)
Enjoy the weekend everyone!
TPS

Post by TPS »

MileHighSolver wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 am
I enjoyed this one. I’m still waiting for a Mad magazine-like meta where you fold the puzzle just so to reveal the answer.
I have tried this on several occasions - of course it never worked.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 pm
Beth C wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm Toes in the sand. Solving the meta took a while but finally the light came on! Have a safe and fun weekend Muggles.
After yesterday's solve, recalling that LAS is our shorthand for Lost at Sea, I started typing shorthand for "Toes in the sand," but quickly decided against it.
Hmmm, perhaps that's why the Apollo program, though normally very fond of abbreviations, never used one for "back at lunar lander site"?

Sorry everyone, blame Al he started this, musical group discussions, and oh so many other things. (gosh I do love commamenting on things while wearing my oxfords - Mwah Ha Ha)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!