"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
femullen

Post by femullen »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 am
femullen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 am Piling on to thank Sal for hosting last night's muggle-up. I really enjoyed meeting everybody, particularly the many folks who have helped and encouraged me as I slowly climb out of newbie-hood.
Given your background, you will probably know the origin without having to look it up: My house number is 5440. When we first looked at the house all I could think of was "54/40 or fight". I couldn't remember what it meant, though, and had to look it up. Whenever I have to tell someone my address I say "5440 or fight" and they just give me a blank stare...…...
Very cool address, and a topic about which I wouldn't have to consult Mr. G. Slogan of the Polk expansionists regarding their position vis-a-vis Britain in the Oregon fracas: cede the west coast up to 54 deg, 54 min north latitude, or put up your dukes. Heard that first from my dad when I was a boy. He explained that had the US succeeded, Canada would today have no west coast.

Thanks for your note. Oh, and Happy Canada Day to you and especially to British Columbians.

8^)
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thank you Sal and others on the Zoom call Tuesday... nice to put faces and voices to names. This is one of those good things to come out of COVID-19... would we have Zoomed otherwise?
Cheers!
PS - A real bonus to get your invite SewYoung... thank you. Smith Lake sounds delightful!
One world. One planet. One future.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Colin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 pm Thank you Sal and others on the Zoom call Tuesday... nice to put faces and voices to names. This is one of those good things to come out of COVID-19... would we have Zoomed otherwise?
Cheers!
PS - A real bonus to get your invite SewYoung... thank you. Smith Lake sounds delightful!
It is. Where do you live?
TPS

Post by TPS »

Did anyone do the WSJ puzzle today? I have no idea what was hidden in that puzzle so I would love an explanation as they usually don't explain the non Friday themes.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

TPS wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 pm Did anyone do the WSJ puzzle today? I have no idea what was hidden in that puzzle so I would love an explanation as they usually don't explain the non Friday themes.

"USA" was in the middle of three of the long answers.
Colin

Post by Colin »

SewYoung wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 pm
Colin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:55 pm Thank you Sal and others on the Zoom call Tuesday... nice to put faces and voices to names. This is one of those good things to come out of COVID-19... would we have Zoomed otherwise?
Cheers!
A few miles north in NJ! I fear it will be a while before we go back on road trips!
One world. One planet. One future.
TPS

Post by TPS »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:53 pm.
"USA" was in the middle of three of the long answers.
My bad - I meant Thur’s - I got Wed pretty easy but I have no clue what was up with Thur. I think it has something to do with women author’s and some of the theme clues were missing letters but I have no idea how they were related and from the looks of the WSJ comments section several other people didn’t have a clue either.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

So great to see everyone who attended the zoom yesterday! We had 16 in attendance and it was a refreshing dose of cordiality these days.... BTW did anyone do the WSJ daily CW today, Heartland? Medium hard grid, but I was surprised by 33A. Has this kind of thing ever appeared in a puzzle contest?
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

TPS wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:49 pm Did anyone do the WSJ puzzle today? I have no idea what was hidden in that puzzle so I would love an explanation as they usually don't explain the non Friday themes.
I thought 33A was a stretch.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Colin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15 pm
SewYoung wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 pm
Cheers!
A few miles north in NJ! I fear it will be a while before we go back on road trips!
And quite a trip it would be, too. But if you ever do find yourself down my way, you will be very welcome.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

TPS wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:40 pm My bad - I meant Thur’s - I got Wed pretty easy but I have no clue what was up with Thur. I think it has something to do with women author’s and some of the theme clues were missing letters but I have no idea how they were related and from the looks of the WSJ comments section several other people didn’t have a clue either.
The women authors last names Rand (3D/17A), Buck (12D/20A) Lee (29D/28A), Tan (35D/47A), and Rice (65D/68A) were squeezed into the individual squares. I struggled with filling the grid on this one, and it wasn't until I completed it that I figured out what was going on.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Julie O wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am
TPS wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:40 pm My bad - I meant Thur’s - I got Wed pretty easy but I have no clue what was up with Thur. I think it has something to do with women author’s and some of the theme clues were missing letters but I have no idea how they were related and from the looks of the WSJ comments section several other people didn’t have a clue either.
The women authors last names Rand (3D/17A), Buck (12D/20A) Lee (29D/28A), Tan (35D/47A), and Rice (65D/68A) were squeezed into the individual squares. I struggled with filling the grid on this one, and it wasn't until I completed it that I figured out what was going on.
I had kind of the opposite problem. I understood the method but did not know the authors. I got Buck, Lee and Tan after a while. Rand never occurred to me and I still have a blank square there. And I do not know Rice and would have not known where to put it except for your comment. I don't particularly like the grids where one square represents more than one letter.

Thanks for your post.

However - bring on the meta in 7 hours
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PJM

Post by PJM »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 am
Julie O wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am
I had kind of the opposite problem. I understood the method but did not know the authors. I got Buck, Lee and Tan after a while. Rand never occurred to me and I still have a blank square there. And I do not know Rice and would have not known where to put it except for your comment. I don't particularly like the grids where one square represents more than one letter.

Thanks for your post.

However - bring on the meta in 7 hours
I don't like those grids either.

I'll bet you do know Rice -- Anne Rice wrote the Vampire Chronicles etc.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

PJM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am I don't like those grids either.
They are especially difficult when you are trying to solve the puzzle on an iPad.
boharr

Post by boharr »

flyingMoose wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:51 am
PJM wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am I don't like those grids either.
They are especially difficult when you are trying to solve the puzzle on an iPad.
I don't think the WSJ is equipped for entering rebuses as the NYT is.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm
TPS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm Reminder: Meetup today!
Thanks for hosting - it was fun to see everyone!
Sorry I was so quiet! I just am.

And sorry I disappeared! Out power blipped off and the battery backup for the router didn't work.
Frankie, thanks for being brave for both of us because although I seem pretty chatty here, I'm actually quiet too in "real life." (I'm oxymoronically a better conversationalist with no one else around!) You've inspired me to maybe jump aboard next time.
And I've also experienced glitches in my connection when I've zoomed a few times with other groups. I'm always afraid that the screen is freezing and I'm showing up with this vexed look on my face while everyone is chatting away merrily.... and so I opt for my more typical Happy To Be Here grin and return to find that the conversation has segued to folks talking about their pet hamster dying or something! :oops:
Anyway, we can Rock, Paper, Scissors for that last seat in the corner behind the potted palm! :P
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

whimsy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 pm
TPS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Thanks for hosting - it was fun to see everyone!

And sorry I disappeared! Out power blipped off and the battery backup for the router didn't work.
Frankie, thanks for being brave for both of us because although I seem pretty chatty here, I'm actually quiet too in "real life." (I'm oxymoronically a better conversationalist with no one else around!) You've inspired me to maybe jump aboard next time.
And I've also experienced glitches in my connection when I've zoomed a few times with other groups. I'm always afraid that the screen is freezing and I'm showing up with this vexed look on my face while everyone is chatting away merrily.... and so I opt for my more typical Happy To Be Here grin and return to find that the conversation has segued to folks talking about their pet hamster dying or something! :oops:
Anyway, we can Rock, Paper, Scissors for that last seat in the corner behind the potted palm! :P
Happy to share my potted plant with you! I just joined in and drank a beer and enjoyed everyone's conversation, until someone basically asked me what my screen name was (different from my displayed name). By then the beer had finally kicked in and I joined in for a few minutes until my power went out. Maybe you and I could open up the chat window and have a side conversation via the written word ;)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Happy to share my potted plant with you! I just joined in and drank a beer and enjoyed everyone's conversation, until someone basically asked me what my screen name was (different from my displayed name). By then the beer had finally kicked in and I joined in for a few minutes until my power went out. Maybe you and I could open up the chat window and have a side conversation via the written word ;)
Heh heh...
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Heh heh...
Next time I'll start pre-gaming before the call!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 pm

Heh heh...
Next time I'll start pre-gaming before the call!
I sure did... walked 9 holes of golf and then had a couple more at the club afterwards. Believe me, I was a back-of-the-room churchmouse all through school myself.