"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

Back on shore after being lost at sea for quite a few weeks.
-Doug Morack
gr8puzzler

Post by gr8puzzler »

Onshore and have been in that place on occasion.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

gr8puzzler wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm Onshore and have been in that place on occasion.
WELCOME - you are out 700th muggle

Hope that brings you good luck in winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

CanoeAshore.jpg
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Totally LAS on this one. Keeping company with my very favorite barkeep. Good luck all.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Very late start after a weekend of boating, fishing, and golfing. And of course, even without Isaac on our 25-footer, all these things involve a drink or two. Found my way to shore quickly nonetheless.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Better late than never, and after some goose chases (geese chase? geese chased? geese chaste?), I am on shore and fairly confident. Nice puzzle.
KscX

Post by KscX »

If someone can give me a nudge I’ll take it. Would be great to know if any of the paths I’m on are valid.
Nlbil

Post by Nlbil »

Me too please!
erosecomm

Post by erosecomm »

Wow. I think I got my second landing.
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

On shore! A fun one.
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

Week 5 of ?? that I'll be propping up the bar on the ship. Got a bad case of solver's block. Fingers crossed that some post enlightenment will happen, but I'm feeling doubtful.
moe gobba

Post by moe gobba »

Send more Patrick Berry.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

I finally bypassed a couple of dead ends to find the path to the answer. Tough (for me) but fun. Ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 9 on the ship and 164 on the shore

And we have three more new muggles: gr8puzzler, erosecomm and moe gobba. That brings our happy clan to 702

Emerging into the ship's bar since lunch are;
ALS
Cynthia J
Dennis
Frenchy
Deb
and Bradisbrad

Making their way to the shore are:
Janet P
zacmoretz
Doug M
gr8puzzler
Commodore
Scott M
eagle1279
erosecomm
ccmac
phofer
and moe gobba

Good luck to all winning the mug
And stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Once again making shore after our tour guide makes his final headcount. And I'm actually confidently ashore this time :)
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I’m on A shore. I’ve tried several ways to solve this meta, and I love Patrick Berry puzzles, but sometimes I find it difficult getting onto the same wavelength as he. I’ve come up with four letters of what I believe to be the answer, but the part I don’t have can only make the solution one thing. I’ll think a bit more about this, and submit my Hail Mary right before the deadline.

Edit: And whaddaya know—I got it!
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

With Florida shut down again I ended up giving this one a shot. Grid was one of the toughest ones I can remember from WSJ. Got onshore with a nudge but it was def a KAS 5 for me.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20200626 WSJCC One-Word Answers.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wicked quick and LUCKY path to total consciousness (which is nice):

The puzzle drops. I create and post the blank for PAST WSJCC Solutions and an Excel puzzle blank form.

In the very few minutes it takes to do this, I am looking at the layout of the puzzle, particularly for THEME ANSWERS, which figure heavily in a majority of meta puzzles. Creating the Excel form requires me to highlight all of the black spaces. This showed that there were 6, possibly 7, Theme Answers and where they were before thinking of reading the first clue.

Next, I save and open my own copy of the Excel form and get to work.

Which answers to solve first? ONLY the Theme Answers, if possible.

I get ART CRITIC, immediately, and my mind goes to the overly-lampooned stereotype of the elderly, androgynous, silver-haired Manhattanite, with super-large black-framed glasses, a puntable yappy dog in the crook of the elbow, wheezing over the artist's inferred state of mind as he or she created this latest indecipherable "masterpiece" of clown vomit... and ARTHRITIC? You BET! I am on the scent and KNOW the mechanism.

Interwebbed the Newman film (if it ain't COOL HAND LUKE, I don't know it nor care), get the next two Theme Answers, have to solve 2 or 3 Down answers to get and verify IM BUSHED, then interwebbed BROM BONES (which almost made me wish I had started from the end, despite getting ARTHRITIC, toot suite).

That gave HOT EAT, establishing that EAT IN was the necessary and 7th Theme Answer and completing the meta. Add in emailing the answer and I was able to post "Ashore & submitted".

It took very much longer to finish the grid and highlight the Theme Answers and the elegant Down answers affected by the letter changes.

[Edit1- Syntax, grammar, some highlighting]

20200626 WSJCC One-Word Answers temp.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!