What are you watching..

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I’ve been pretty out of things to watch so this week I started rewatching a highly underrated cartoon - King of the Hill. Great show. The first two season are meh but from season 3 on it’s a great show with lots of great guest voice actors.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Based on above recommendations we watched Bosch...all six seasons available to date, thanks for the recommendation. We started on Outlander yesterday, we may be fluent in Gaelic by the time we finish.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Unorthodox Netflix
Vera. Britbox. Yes, I pay for it just to hear those accents. And it’s a great detective show. 10 seasons.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Guy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:25 pm Based on above recommendations we watched Bosch...all six seasons available to date, thanks for the recommendation. We started on Outlander yesterday, we may be fluent in Gaelic by the time we finish.
...and falling in love with Caitriona Balfe or Sam Heughan or both.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Sorry, I came a little late to this thread. Thanks for all the good recommendations above!

For those who enjoyed and miss live theater, there are a number of sites that have been streaming previously recorded live performances. A pretty good selection is listed at this site. I can vouch in particular for most of the shows the National Theatre has been streaming:

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-the ... 51198.html

For a while, Andrew Lloyd Webber was streaming one of his musicals each weekend, but he seems to have run through his catalog. I'm hoping he'll repeat as I missed several of them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjh ... Cr1FjuMvag
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Since I've been living under a rock for years, I missed Parks and Recreation the first time around. I watched a couple of episodes here and there in the in the original run but didn't really get the hype. I gave it another shot a few weeks ago, and found that if you stick with it for long enough to get to know the characters, it's a hilarious and sweet show. I highly recommend it to the one or two other people who haven't seen it yet.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Shetland on Britbox. I LOVE that Scottish accent. The characters are quite endearing.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm Good British crime drama (but aren't they all!) - The Fall
Since this was already mentioned and it hasn't been readily available recently, I haven't piled on. A friend recently recommended Gillian Anderson in A Streetcar Named Desire, so I instantly replied that her starring performance in The Fall may be the best acting I've seen in several years. In doing so, I found that The Fall is available, again, on Prime Video.

You don't want to miss this. I'll spring for "great" versus "good." British, yes, but set in Belfast, so Irish is more fitting and brings The Troubles into the story, strengthening it. To be fair, the crime story is grisly, which makes it that much more riveting. Gillian Anderson is sublime and the rest of the cast must be, also, in order to be on the screen.

My youngest sister is wicked smaht and has incredible taste in what she calls her "murder programs." She is only four shows into the 1st season (of 4) and has texted me several times thanking me for the rec and singing Ms. Anderson's praises. We both agree that we'd never paid her much heed and generally remember the name from the X-Files from long ago. We won't make that mistake again.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm Good British crime drama (but aren't they all!) - The Fall
Since this was already mentioned and it hasn't been readily available recently, I haven't piled on. A friend recently recommended Gillian Anderson in A Streetcar Named Desire, so I instantly replied that her starring performance in The Fall may be the best acting I've seen in several years. In doing so, I found that The Fall is available, again, on Prime Video.

You don't want to miss this. I'll spring for "great" versus "good." British, yes, but set in Belfast, so Irish is more fitting and brings The Troubles into the story, strengthening it. To be fair, the crime story is grisly, which makes it that much more riveting. Gillian Anderson is sublime and the rest of the cast must be, also, in order to be on the screen.

My youngest sister is wicked smaht and has incredible taste in what she calls her "murder programs." She is only four shows into the 1st season (of 4) and has texted me several times thanking me for the rec and singing Ms. Anderson's praises. We both agree that we'd never paid her much heed and generally remember the name from the X-Files from long ago. We won't make that mistake again.
Agree, and her character has some great depth to her as well...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Just finished Breaking Bad. 5 stars
Then watched the movie El Camino. 3 stars
Now starting Better Call Saul. Looks promising so far.

Just finished season 2 of The Man in the High Castle and can't really imagine where it's going to go in season 3.

And just heard they're working on a followup to Good Omens. Ok, how's that going to work out?
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Britbox? I just had to check it out. Thanks Meg, now we are hooked...
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm
Just finished season 2 of The Man in the High Castle and can't really imagine where it's going to go in season 3.
The Man in the High Castle ended up being sort of a huge let down.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Guy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:30 pm Britbox? I just had to check it out. Thanks Meg, now we are hooked...
I’ve been tempted to see if I can get a one month trial just so I can fully appreciate this

https://youtu.be/MLzYxFJnB_A

But I heard they pulled some of the best episodes of Fawlty Towers because they weren’t PC.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

We just got the Disney package which at under $7/mth seems like a real bargain. Last night I saw Frozen for the first time, so now I know who all those Frozen puzzle clues relate to. I hadn’t seen any Disney flicks since our kids were young (in the 1980s) so I have a lot of catching up to do.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

oldjudge wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:13 pm We just got the Disney package which at under $7/mth seems like a real bargain. Last night I saw Frozen for the first time, so now I know who all those Frozen puzzle clues relate to. I hadn’t seen any Disney flicks since our kids were young (in the 1980s) so I have a lot of catching up to do.
With Hamilton debuting on Disney+ tomorrow, I'm seriously thinking of subscribing, even if they don't have an offer of a trial period.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am
With Hamilton debuting on Disney+ tomorrow, I'm seriously thinking of subscribing, even if they don't have an offer of a trial period.
I’m also planning to sign up for a month, just to see Hamilton.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Looking forward to that too. We got aced out of our primo Hamilton tickets by the plague.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Guy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:30 pm Britbox? I just had to check it out. Thanks Meg, now we are hooked...
Lots of good stuff on BritBox that's been pulled off Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. Making for yet another paid subscription.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Love Mrs. Maisel too! Love Susie even more! Favorite scene ---when she comes out of Sophie's townhouse wearing the fur coat. :D
Love the Brit stuff too ---

Two to add in that vein (and at opposite ends of the spectrum) --
The Detectorists -- a couple of guys using metal detectors to look for treasure (but no, not a documentary.) That might sound like watching paint dry and to some extent it is -- very slow and gentle. Maybe Mister Rogers for adults. The first 10 minutes I thought the characters must be losers -- they kind of reminded me of carnies. But that only served to chasten me that things can be more than what they seem, or my first assumptions. Ended up just loving them all, and looking to promote them.

and now for something completely different -
Peaky Blinders - a crime family in Birmingham England post WWI. I chuckle when the disclaimer shows up: nudity, language, gore, and SMOKING! (more PC than ever, huh?) There's plenty of all of that -- but somehow the language doesn't feel as offensive when it comes out in all those funky regional Great British accents! I attribute that to something akin to the principle of the french fries you take from your kid's plate not having calories.
TPS

Post by TPS »

If anyone who has not yet subscribed to Disney+ would like to “borrow” a login feel free to PM me. I am happy to share mine.