"Two's Company" June 19, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I will try to join next time!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Me too...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:02 pm Panda walks into a restaurant.

Eats, shoots and leaves. Or should it be "Eats shoots and leaves."?

Great book.
RATS - I was JUST going to use that one. Probably one of my favorite "PUN ctuation" jokes! OK, I'll switch to:

I find inspiration in cooking my family and my cat.
VERSUS
I find inspiration in cooking, my family, and my cat (and yes I know AL Sisti is silently screaming somewhere right now)

Full disclosure - there are days that putting the cat in the oven does inspire me, but that is only after stepping on a cold, wet hairball at 0430 on my way to the kitchen to make coffee for work.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 pm Great Zoom social hour!
I recognize that pretty puppy!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 pmMe too...
You just want to castigate me for the Oxford comma in person - Oh God I hope it is castigate and not that other cast---ate thing! I can't learn to sing as an Alto at this point.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I don't put that last comma into the list.

I like turtles, snakes, hippos and rabbits.

No need for a comma after hippos, it still reads clearly without.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MajordomoTom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 pm I don't put that last comma into the list.

I like turtles, snakes, hippos and rabbits.

No need for a comma after hippos, it still reads clearly without.
Thank you!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I had so much fun! Thank you Muggle family for helping me stay sane during these times!
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

And the comma debate must stop! Enough!😜
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:34 pm
That was my pretty puppy. He’s going to be 12 on Saturday. Meg said her Lab has passed. 😟
Heidi
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:55 pm
yourpalsal wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 pm Join us this evening for a cordial drink, live postmortem on Two's Company, and general thoughts on puzzles we have known!
YourPalSal's Muggle Meetup🍹
5pmPT/8pmET on Zoom!
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82938294870
Just passed a pleasant approximately 60 minutes with my Muggle family, great fun. For some reason my camera refused to work so for those of you wondering I am 6'3" with a full head of hair and washboard abs. I also, unfortunately, suffer from delusions. SO nice to put faces to names and voices to text. Here is hoping we keep this up and that I eventually get my video on so that you can see just how big a prevaricator I am.
Great muggle meetup! Last week’s four became 11 and our cruise director was in attendance. An eclectic and fun crowd, with wisdom and laughs shared. Aiming for same time next week.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Thank you sal for hosting! It was great to see and chat with some of the people behind all these avatars and posts.

Do you mind if I ask what class you went on to teach later that night?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:13 pm And the comma debate must stop! Enough!😜
But we have such a commanding comma comment commitment or is that just an illiterate alliteration alternation. I guess I'll have to check with the hippo who, quite surprisingly, can read just fine even if there are no commas. :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:18 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:34 pm
That was my pretty puppy. He’s going to be 12 on Saturday. Meg said her Lab has passed. 😟
Whoops - sorry. The lab was on Megs post about the Muggledom Zoom so I thought it was hers. Always sad to lose a trusted and loyal pet. 😟
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

KayW wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:31 am Thank you sal for hosting! It was great to see and chat with some of the people behind all these avatars and posts.

Thanks for asking, Kay. At facebook.com/accidentaltalmudist I share Jewish wisdom with a million+ followers. Our motto is Wisdom For All, and more than half the community is not Jewish.
I’m presently 170 days into a seven and a half year plan to teach the entire Talmud one page per day. Because the Talmud is so dense, it takes about 45 minutes just to teach crucial highlights of each day’s page. It’s like a meta in every paragraph! ;-)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

yourpalsal wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:54 pm
KayW wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:31 am Thank you sal for hosting! It was great to see and chat with some of the people behind all these avatars and posts.

Thanks for asking, Kay. At facebook.com/accidentaltalmudist I share Jewish wisdom with a million+ followers. Our motto is Wisdom For All, and more than half the community is not Jewish.
I’m presently 170 days into a seven and a half year plan to teach the entire Talmud one page per day. Because the Talmud is so dense, it takes about 45 minutes just to teach crucial highlights of each day’s page. It’s like a meta in every paragraph! ;-)
Oh wow. This sounds really interesting, but I'm already 170 days behind!!
femullen

Post by femullen »

Well, darnit, shoulda checked in yesterday. I spend half my day on zoom meetings. A muggle zoom would have been the best yet.

I want to know one thing, though. That photo of our host, "yourpalsal," is that him blowing a horn or drinking a yard of beer?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

femullen wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:50 pm Well, darnit, shoulda checked in yesterday. I spend half my day on zoom meetings. A muggle zoom would have been the best yet.

I want to know one thing, though. That photo of our host, "yourpalsal," is that him blowing a horn or drinking a yard of beer?
That is Sal playing a shofar
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob,
What’s with the everchanging multi-tiered wedding cakes?? A past life as a baker? A cryptic message? Please explain.
Meg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

flyingMoose wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:13 pm
Deb F wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm I was sure it was I.E. thinking, added note, that is, P.S., physician, that is M.D., etc. ...
You will kindly note that IE is in the middle (kinda) of ALIEN, the middle theme answer. You will also kindly note that there seven instances in the grid of I and E being diagonally adjacent in some direction. Yes, I and E are common letters, but there have been a maximum of four such "adjacencies" in the past five puzzles.
Thanks a ton--that's a rabbit hole I didn't even see. If I had, I would undoubtedly have spent hours on that and sold myself on i.e. as the solution.