Muggles under 40

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
tori.l

Muggles under 40

Post by tori.l »

Many Muggles appear to be retirees, and there is a good number of married couples who puzzle together.

For what it's worth, I'm an early 30s, single, Jewish, New Yorker... are there any others out there?? :lol: I've never met anyone else in real life who could match my devotion to meta and cryptic crosswords (or had even heard of the concept).

<3 to all Muggles, of all ages! Glad to have found my tribe.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

You've got it tougher than most of us. When we started doing crosswords, there were only 27 words in existence, and all but four of them had to do with "fire."
damefox

Post by damefox »

29. I enjoy cryptic crosswords almost as much as metas, but it took me a while to get into them because I could only find British ones and those are *impossible*. In a "regular" crossword one day there was a clue, "With "The," American news magazine with a weekly cryptic crossword," and that's how I discovered The Nation's cryptic crossword! The cryptic has now been retired from The Nation and the constructors have moved their work to Out of Left Field at Patreon, but it's just as good as ever!
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I am 29, married, but my wife doesn't do metas. I am better at logic / number puzzles (so the "Odd" puzzle was right up my alley), but the number puzzles tend to become repetitive and uninteresting.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

tori.l wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 pm Many Muggles appear to be retirees, and there is a good number of married couples who puzzle together.

For what it's worth, I'm an early 30s,
I'm in my mid 40s and feel like a young'un around here. I watched Love Boat on Friday nights, for example, but it was after my bedtime.

Then again, when I was on Jeopardy, you would have still qualified for the teen tournament!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

C=64 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:55 pm
tori.l wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 pm Many Muggles appear to be retirees, and there is a good number of married couples who puzzle together.

I'm in my mid 40s and feel like a young'un around here. I watched Love Boat on Friday nights, for example, but it was after my bedtime.

Then again, when I was on Jeopardy, you would have still qualified for the teen tournament!
So you and crossword legend Erik Agard were on Jeopardy. Any other Muggles? I remember watching the show and saying "I could do this!" Uh, Alex, the question would be "What is 'no, you most certainly could not!'"
tori.l

Post by tori.l »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:00 pm
C=64 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:55 pm

So you and crossword legend Erik Agard were on Jeopardy. Any other Muggles? I remember watching the show and saying "I could do this!" Uh, Alex, the question would be "What is 'no, you most certainly could not!'"
I was on Jeopardy too! I was in college at the time, but it was the regular show. Our final question was about video games, and we all got it wrong.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

tori.l wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:05 pm I was on Jeopardy too! I was in college at the time, but it was the regular show. Our final question was about video games, and we all got it wrong.
See, you weren't the right age to have kids who played Angry Birds. ;)
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

I just went to the doctor yesterday, and she asked if I had any hobbies. When I told her crossword puzzles, she was surprised and said "aren't you a little young to be into that?" I'm 38, and live with my boyfriend who has no interest in crosswords. Every time I figure out a meta, I proudly show him the puzzle and explain it to him. He seems impressed, but he might just be humoring me. I think I got into crosswords when I was a little kid and I would do the weekly TV Guide crossword puzzle. See, I am still pretty old if I remember TV guide. I found out about meta crosswords starting with WSJ maybe a year ago, and now I'm hooked. I have yet to try a cryptic crossword, so that will probably be my next adventure once I have a little more time on my hands.
TPS

Post by TPS »

I never tried out for Jeopardy but several people told me I should when I was younger. I was on a two time state champ academic team and in college I led my quiz bowl teams to several wins. But I don’t like to be filmed so I never even tried out.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

just imagine yourself standing behind the podium with no pants on and you'd be fine.

(1.4 times too old to be posting in this forum, please forgive)
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.