"Head Count" - June 12, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Ashore! I didn't even have time to try last week's and almost didn't have time for this week's. I thought being retired meant having lots of time?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well, by fair winds or fouls, I have drifted to shore. This puzzle gave me a bit of a headache, so I'll have a couple mugs of coffee followed by a couple fishbowls of beer. Cheers.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Still LAS. Grid done, but nothing besides rabbit holes! Will take a break and come back around!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:21 pm Still working on this one...it could be my streak breaker. I've found lots of knee-deep rabbit holes and an overly simplistic answer, but that's it. I can't believe I missed Bob's spoiler! :D
I will explain it Monday morning. My feeling is that, like so many spoilers, it is a strong nudge but only if you already knew the answer. However each can judge for themselves.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:00 pm Well, by fair winds or fouls, I have drifted to shore. This puzzle gave me a bit of a headache, so I'll have a couple mugs of coffee followed by a couple fishbowls of beer. Cheers.
So we will have a wide awake drunk?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Well I’m definitely SOTDOTB. I’ve been down many rabbit holes and I’ve emerged with something which may, or may not, be the answer. I can tell you how I got there. It was quite straightforward. I can justify it. I can defend it. And yet? I have doubts. I’m going to sit here and kick my legs in the water and hope for an epiphany. If I don’t have one by the bewitching hour I’ll go with what I’ve got.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Made it to shore. I found this puzzle much easier than the last couple. Ready for a frozen cocktail.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

A nudge, however slight, would be appreciated.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Still at the bar. I’ve been to the head more times than I can count. I could use a nudge or a bigger bladder.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore.
Thx swabbies.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Still stumped
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Finally managed to drift ashore. I was convinced that Mr. Shenk forgot to include the meta part of the puzzle, or attached the instructions to the wrong grid. I had a good sense of which rabbit hole to pursue and, unlike other times I've been LAS, persistence was the key this time.

I will say this was certainly not my favorite puzzle, but then saw what I had been missing all along. I dislike it a lot less now.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Still at sea, struggled hard with the grid too. Going to be a crazy Saturday night - a glass of bourbon and this puzzle. Watch out.
Carla

Post by Carla »

On shore!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

joequavis wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:19 pm Finally managed to drift ashore. I was convinced that Mr. Shenk forgot to include the meta part of the puzzle, or attached the instructions to the wrong grid. I had a good sense of which rabbit hole to pursue and, unlike other times I've been LAS, persistence was the key this time.

I will say this was certainly not my favorite puzzle, but then saw what I had been missing all along. I dislike it a lot less now.
I suspect you solved this much the same way I did. Noticed something that led toward a good answer (with a bit of backsolving) but had some inconsistencies and seemed to require too much assuming. Then took another look and saw something I’d gone right by at first and realized the inconsistencies were just my incorrect assumptions and there was in fact a nice clear path to a consistent solution.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

with Yoda and Isaac on the boat I am
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
ChimiSeanGa

Post by ChimiSeanGa »

On shore! This one came to me more easily than last week’s (sadly never made it to shore last week...)
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore! This one had me feeling blue but in the end it was good clean fun.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done. But I seem to be batting below the Mendoza line on getting to shore lately. I think I see the mechanism. Guess I’ll keep staring at it 😳 and hope something clicks.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Big Mac wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:02 pm Still at sea, struggled hard with the grid too. Going to be a crazy Saturday night - a glass of bourbon and this puzzle. Watch out.
Try the Woodford Reserve Double Oak. Tasty.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!