"Head Count" - June 12, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Trey wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:35 am Marion and I are definitely on shore again!! She started rowing in the right direction, found the sand, hit me with the oar, and tada - I got there as well. Feels good to be relaxing and not thinking about cable news!!

Luck to all the muggles crowd........let's get one!
This seems to be a trend. Same thing with Jim and Anita. She does all the heavy rowing to get to the shore.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Avast ye landlubbers! Make a 6’ space on the sand for me. Finally I’ve gotten my head screwed on straight, so I’m headed on in to shore.
I absolutely loved the grid, though it required some researching for sure. Many smiling AHA’s along the way at Mike’s cleverness there.
There’s certainly a good head on that guy’s shoulders. 🙋‍♀️
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

On shore
Janet

Post by Janet »

I did the grid on Thursday evening, and just discovered the mechanism this morning. Add me to the on-shore head count!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:52 am Like most, I found the grid more difficult. Nothing jumped out at me (like the Monty Python bunny) re the meta as of yet, so propping up the bar on deck.
That Rodent.gif

Sir Boris won't be solving this week's meta, I'm afraid.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

We have two new muggles this week: C=64 and Davesteve bringing our happy family to 688.

And interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk but we have 81 muggles on the shore and 8 on the ship with Isaac.

Our ship's contingent is:
scooby
Flamel616 ladybird
Homer
cbarbee002
Cynthia J
EVJ and Davesteve

Our shore crew was led off by our gracious site moderator
Brian Mac
and keeping him company are
Josh
Beth A
higgysue
Wendy
Mike H
Tmart
gdshort
steveb
Bird Lives
Barbara K
Scott M
ky-mike
gamera13
TPS
Eric P
Hector
Fkelly
Cindy
Meg
mark L
oldjudge
tina
les
littleGood
laura M
Joepickett
MileHighSolver
David K
Beth T
Schmeel
boharr
Chris
stmv
yourpalsal
Jeff S
Wdunbar
janetP
Rita and George
Kris
Al
seans
femullen
ReB
damefox
Joe R
Jim and Anita (really Anita towing Jim)
Tom Wilson
paige11
Toby
dplass
anjhinz
tim1217
Kay
spotter
elementary
SusieG
Beth C
Your humble cruise director
tonyrobots
Jud
JoJoRabbit
Richard
CallMeshane
NuYear68
Heidi
Geezer
Lancangah
fstadler
steroto
laceyK
Trey and Marion (or Marion dragging Trey - seems to be a trend here)
JRS51
DBMiller
natalie
Teeje92
C=64
MaineMarge
djquimby
Janet
and Guy

And finally, while I was buried deep in one rabbit hole, I inadvertently posted a spoiler which has since been removed. Thanks to those pointing it out. For those who missed it, all will be explained on Monday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Still working on this one...it could be my streak breaker. I've found lots of knee-deep rabbit holes and an overly simplistic answer, but that's it. I can't believe I missed Bob's spoiler! :D
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 pm Good Saturday morning muggles

We have two new muggles this week: C=64 and Davesteve bringing our happy family to 688.

And interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk but we have 81 muggles on the shore and 8 on the ship with Isaac.

scooby
Flamel616 ladybird
Homer
cbarbee002
Cynthia J
EVJ and Davesteve

dplass

And finally, while I was buried deep in one rabbit hole, I inadvertently posted a spoiler which has since been removed. Thanks to those pointing it out. For those who missed it, all will be explained on Monday
I'm not quite ashore as I'm not submitting due to the huge hint required to propel me. Count me in a dinghy with a bottle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Dplass wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:47 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:17 pm Good Saturday morning muggles

scooby
Flamel616 ladybird
Homer
cbarbee002
Cynthia J
EVJ and Davesteve

dplass

I'm not quite ashore as I'm not submitting due to the huge hint required to propel me. Count me in a dinghy with a bottle.

I should create a category for those who are not quite on the ship but not quite on the shore either.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:01 pm I should create a category for those who are not quite on the ship but not quite on the shore either.
SOTDOTB?

Sitting on the dock of the bay?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

...or SDB, for short & inline with LAS, KAS_?

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well there's a fine kettle of fish. I am once again at the rather unpleasant juncture of having both the WSJCC and MGWCC grids done and that is where it ends. I saw the tile, it rang a bell, I checked it out - nothing. I thought, "wait a minute, I think I know what he means", checked it out, nothing. I'm sure this is a function of perhaps too much on my mind and that if I come back later it will pop up, but if not then so be it.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:08 pm ...or SDB, for short & inline with LAS, KAS_?
And it could also stand for So Darned Blind, which is what many of us feel when we see the answer, or what we feel when we CAN"T.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:10 pm And it could also stand for So Darned Blind, which is what many of us feel when we see the answer, or what we feel when we CAN"T.
What is this "Darned" of which you speak?!?

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:08 pm Well there's a fine kettle of fish. I am once again at the rather unpleasant juncture of having both the WSJCC and MGWCC grids done and that is where it ends. I saw the tile, it rang a bell, I checked it out - nothing. I thought, "wait a minute, I think I know what he means", checked it out, nothing. I'm sure this is a function of perhaps too much on my mind and that if I come back later it will pop up, but if not then so be it.
Welcome to my almost every week. If I don't see it immediately there's no way I'll ever get it.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

At last ashore! Now I can enjoy the rest of the weekend.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:21 pm Still working on this one...it could be my streak breaker. I've found lots of knee-deep rabbit holes and an overly simplistic answer, but that's it. I can't believe I missed Bob's spoiler! :D
In prison you can get shanked. In crosswords you can get Shenked. Don’t get Shenked (or shanked).
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Count me in - headed to the shore. Good one!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Finally paddled onto shore after some difficulty. Nothing better after a long swim than a White Russian (The Dude abides).