"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hector

Post by Hector »

WORKERBEES and VIOLINBOWS have salient synonyms: "drones" and "fiddlesticks." OBOES kind of drone, and BAH is a synonym for (another use of) "fiddlesticks." So I was stuck there for a while.
boharr

Post by boharr »

tigerfly222 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:36 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:53 am The trigger for me came whilst focusing on the monosyllabic 2nd word of the long answers. I was considering whether the G in HIGH and SIGN could be considered a silent letter, and then SINAI - SIGN-I jumped out at me.
Four long answers plus the middle answer is a common pattern, I think. My first inkling came when I decided to concentrate on the monosyllabic 2nd words of the long answers and then noticed MEN and MENU.
Gee, it's almost like we're related or something! :lol:
Big family. SIGN/SANAI and MEN/MENU were the first two I spotted. Unexpectedly because I was first concentrating on BEES and BOWS.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 am I got a lot of amusement about the comments that addressed two of the key words. First there were a lot of comments early about BOZO. These were followed by HEIDI commenting about here name. I did not know if they drew anyone's attention to the meta solution process.
Not me. I was far too determined to find a fifth 3-letter comic book sound like EEK, BAH, EEP and POP. Don’t ask me why... thought that revelation would come if I found it!
Nice puzzle though - not seen letter sounds in a meta until now (relative newcomer). Another one for the list!
One world. One planet. One future.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I got sidetracked on high going with hypos not Heidi. Also oboes not bozo. Finally after going back and reading each word in the grid slowly outloud I saw the other choices. Then everything fit!!! What great fun!! Thanks to our amazing puzzle creators who provide such entertainment for us especially at times like these.
ReB

Post by ReB »

spotter wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:20 am
Devilbunny wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:06 am Well, I had AMOEBAS instead of AMOEBAE, which gave me xxZST, so I jumped to LIZST instead of BIZET. Never thought to Google it to check. That gave me LAH instead off BAH, but LAH is a fairly common word in Singaporean English, and maybe its meaning can be dismissive? Haven’t spent a lot of time around Singaporeans lately. So I left it.

I don’t think I would have gotten it anyway, as I was far too focused on something relating to the sections of an orchestra - HORN, OBOES, maybe STEEL drums if a somewhat modern production, VIOLIN for the strings, SOLI indicating it was a choral performance... and then SOLI/STOLI kept me going for a while.
I did the exact same thing, except I had UDIO and knew the A had to be somewhere. I asked a fellow muggle for help finding the A, and it wasn't until he asked if I knew how to pronounce French names that I realized where my mistake must be. Turns out the name is LISZT, not LIZST anyway...
I hit the same little sandbar just before reaching shore looking for the A to complete AUDIO and was floundering because I had filled in 30A as LIZST. But then when I sounded out BEES+A (I had discerned that the solution was auditory), I quickly recognized BIZET (best known for his opera Carmen; Mike was a bit tricky picking a more obscure work of his, one that I hadn't heard of before).

Thus I went back to LIZST (it being the only other Z besides BOZO, which was already used) and after replacing it with BIZET, I realized that 4D was AMOEBAE - which was more accurate than AMOEBAS- and also that 30D now worked as BAH, which it didn't before. This gave me absolute certainty.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Also, I'm still wondering if 6D OBOES was a bonus hint/clue or just happenstance? Of course the extra sound/letter here is the first syllable, not the second, but still... BTW, I would think It's not easy to find such auditory word pairs like OBOES and BOZO.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I was exploring similar rabbit holes: silent letters, colors, instruments, letter sounds (Bee, Tee, Dee, etc). I'm glad I quit when I did, because I would never have solved it! But I learned alot and will file this away for the future.

Off topic: what does "MGWCC" stand for? Matt Gaffney ___________???
boharr

Post by boharr »

802puzzler wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:35 pm I was exploring similar rabbit holes: silent letters, colors, instruments, letter sounds (Bee, Tee, Dee, etc). I'm glad I quit when I did, because I would never have solved it! But I learned alot and will file this away for the future.

Matt Gaffney's Weekly Crossword Contest (MGWCC)

See under Other Meta Puzzles for links etc.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

802puzzler wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:35 pm I was exploring similar rabbit holes: silent letters, colors, instruments, letter sounds (Bee, Tee, Dee, etc). I'm glad I quit when I did, because I would never have solved it! But I learned alot and will file this away for the future.

Weekly crossword contest
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Colin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 am I got a lot of amusement about the comments that addressed two of the key words. First there were a lot of comments early about BOZO. These were followed by HEIDI commenting about here name. I did not know if they drew anyone's attention to the meta solution process.
Not me. I was far too determined to find a fifth 3-letter comic book sound like EEK, BAH, EEP and POP. Don’t ask me why... thought that revelation would come if I found it!
Nice puzzle though - not seen letter sounds in a meta until now (relative newcomer). Another one for the list!
Check out the 7-29-16 puzzle - I Put a Spell on You.
Cynthia
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

I got quickly attached to bees and bows. Went down a couple of unsuccessful paths before circling back. Once I glommed on to Bizet, I just hunted and pecked until I found my way. Nice to have gotten this week’s.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Anyone else get completely hung up on all of the Russian allusions? All I could think of was Sound Off = Soundov 🤦🏻‍♀️ That was a toughie! Lots of rabbit holes.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

To prove I’m not completely off my rocker with my STEAK answer...

Silent S in Scitech
Silent T in Bizet
Silent E in Ites (hard I silents the E)
Silent A in Roadsign
Silent K in Knee

I’m hungry :)
steveb

Post by steveb »

CPJohnson wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:58 pm
That's just the one I was thinking of - one of my earliest solves shortly after I started doing these. I love the way we're all such connoisseurs now!
boharr

Post by boharr »

MileHighSolver wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:37 pm To prove I’m not completely off my rocker with my STEAK answer...

Silent S in Scitech
Silent T in Bizet
Silent E in Ites (hard I silents the E)
Silent A in Roadsign
Silent K in Knee

I’m hungry :)
STEAK is always welcome.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

steveb wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:57 pm
CPJohnson wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:58 pm

That's just the one I was thinking of - one of my earliest solves shortly after I started doing these. I love the way we're all such connoisseurs now!
You were a Super Solver if you got that one as a new solver! I still struggle with the "sounds like" puzzle category.
Cynthia
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Lost_at_Sea wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:25 am BIZET, French or English?

It is not BEES - A, it's
Bees-eh

But clever meta nonetheless
I guess he’s a French Canadian.
Jack Sullivan
KayW

Post by KayW »

jimbo1 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 am I got AUDIO
But
44A was LETSNOT
5 A Was NOTI
Same letter as
52 A ROADSIGN and 60 A sinAI

Alls well that ends well
LETSNOT - NOT I was my detour along the way to the correct answer. And when I first found five sound-off entries, I stopped looking (HEIDI was still HAYDN at that point). But I couldn't form any words out of the mess I had. Luckily LETSNOT was not symmetrical with the other theme answers.
matthewmoravec wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:16 am I submitted the correct answer, although I was hampered by unknowingly mispronouncing Bizet (had thought Biz rhymed with fizz) and being stuck on HYPOS as the match for SKY HIGH for a while. It was satisfying to get the answer eventually, but I wondered if I missed something because the first words of the theme answers didn't seem to participate with the meta in any way.
I pronounce it BIZ-ZAY too. My brain still thinks I'm right about that ;) but I was able to see the connection to BEES anyway.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

spotter wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:20 am Turns out the name is LISZT, not LIZST anyway...
And I like to pretend to myself - though we'll never know, because after this lesson that WILL be burned into my mind - that I would have spelled it correctly if asked - but with ZST sitting there waiting, it was so easy. Note to self: if the answer can be confirmed with basic Goog search, and you're not 100% sure, check it.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

I really face-palmed this one... I accidentally marked "E" for the added sound in HEIDI, leaving with me the five vowels A U E I O which I thought was a pretty sub-par way to get to VOWEL, but I figured "what else could it be?" and submitted. Whooooooooooops.