"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20200529 WSJCC Sound Off.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, for the record OBOES will work as well for the last letter even if it does not follow the convention exactly.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Now I wanna hear the ALTERNATIVE answer, I'm all on pins and needles I cannot:
MADE A COMPLETE 360 TURN ON THE HIGHWAY
ARTIST WHO LIVED IN GIVERNY
FAMOUS FOLK MUSIC VENUE
MEAL SERVED AT AROUND FOUR IN ENGLAND
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TPS

Post by TPS »

So I knew this was not the correct answer but one of the things I looked at was some of the proper names in the grid - Cecil, Heidi, Olga, Igor, and Ross...Their first letters would Spell out CHOIR- which sorta goes with the SOUND title and then I googled all those proper names together just to see if there was some connection and like the 4-5 item down was an item from the WSJ list Bernie MadOFFโ€™s victims and all of those names were among them in some way.
3D7A0E9D-E067-4969-A03B-EED8A6B564D1.jpeg
Last edited by TPS on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I was CERTAIN that the silent letters in BIZET, SCI TECH, ROAM, and OBOES were going to be the key to solving this, until i got hinted in the right direction.

WORKER BEES: BIZE(T)
STEEL MEN: ????
SKY HIGH: S(C)I TEC(H)
ROAD SIGN: RO(A)M
VIOLIN BOWS: OBO(E)S

i was staring at something like this for the last couple of hours
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I knew I was wrong. Saw "robots" by "steel men" and thought that was a pathl
Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am So I knew this was not the correct answer but one of the things I looked at was some of the proper names in the grid - Cecil, Heidi, Olga, Igor, and Ross...Their first letters would Spell out CHOIR- which sorta goes with the SOUND title and then I googled all those proper names together just to see if there was some connection and like the 4-5 item down was an item from the WSJ list Bernie MadOFFโ€™s victims and all of those names were among them in some way.

Hmmm- signpost up ahead, Twilight Zone. I guess you are one more person Madoff cheated? He took your interest and diverted your principle! (OK, OK, I'm stretching, I know that, I guess you'll Bernie me at the stake)
camandsampowercouple

Did anyone else get stuck on these clues:

25a Field of interest
58a Field of interest

22a Survey
3d Do some surveying

I couldn't remember if non meta crosswords would do this cheeky stuff with clues. The "Field of interest" clues especially threw me off. I was stuck for about two days with this in mind until we did some other non meta puzzles and I noticed those same type of copied clues.
TPS

Post by TPS »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:11 am I guess you are one more person Madoff cheated?
This made me :lol:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am So I knew this was not the correct answer but one of the things I looked at was some of the proper names in the grid - Cecil, Heidi, Olga, Igor, and Ross...Their first letters would Spell out CHOIR- which sorta goes with the SOUND title and then I googled all those proper names together just to see if there was some connection and like the 4-5 item down was an item from the WSJ list Bernie MadOFFโ€™s victims and all of those names were among them in some way.

Good now I don't have to
DO A DOUBLE U
MONET
HUNGRY I (and yes I know you have to be ancient to get that one)
AFTERNOON TEA

any longer!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

camandsampowercouple wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am I was CERTAIN that the silent letters in BIZET, SCI TECH, ROAM, and OBOES were going to be the key to solving this, until i got hinted in the right direction.

Thatโ€™s the rabbit hole I started down at first, but I couldnโ€™t make sense of anything and there were too many silent letters.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:15 am
DrTom wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:11 am I guess you are one more person Madoff cheated?
This made me :lol:
My work here is done... ;)
Carla

Post by Carla »

I was totally LAS and busy going down many rabbit holes!
camandsampowercouple

mheberlingx100 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:16 am
camandsampowercouple wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am I was CERTAIN that the silent letters in BIZET, SCI TECH, ROAM, and OBOES were going to be the key to solving this, until i got hinted in the right direction.

Thatโ€™s the rabbit hole I started down at first, but I couldnโ€™t make sense of anything and there were too many silent letters.
I think this is the first time that I've had a real "rabbit hole" it felt sooooo right but it just didn't quite click. I was convinced Sound Off meant Silent letters
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

How is it not โ€œSteakโ€? These were the only letters that were โ€œsounded offโ€ via silent letters in the across answers??? Consider me burning and looting the shore ;).
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

camandsampowercouple wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:12 am Did anyone else get stuck on these clues:

25a Field of interest
58a Field of interest

22a Survey
3d Do some surveying

I couldn't remember if non meta crosswords would do this cheeky stuff with clues. The "Field of interest" clues especially threw me off. I was stuck for about two days with this in mind until we did some other non meta puzzles and I noticed those same type of copied clues.
I was also searching for a connection to the duplicate Field of interest clues.
Also kept looking at all the apparent references to the Middle East.
Kept me busy for quite a while unfortunately
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh. Lord. my rabbit holes were deep and scary. I struggled with ROADSIGN and ROUT for some time figuring that it sounded like ROUTE, and WORKERBEES were HANS since that sounded like HANDS. I played with these forever, getting nowhere with first letters and then I said, hey what if I take the missing letter!!! Well, that almost gave me DRONE with some of my complex twists and turns and I was sure that would be it because:
The first theme word was WORKERBEES (drones)
The middle grid word, often a clue/hint, was SKYHIGH (I ask you does that not scream drone)
The Puzzle title was SOUND OFF, and what do you do when someone drones on, turn the sound off (so I'm giving away my ZOOM strategy now but...)

Had I not gotten disenchanted of this by a Knight of the Meta Table, and literally pushed an prodded into the right direction I had DRONE all locked and loaded for my 11:59 pass. Thankfully it did not come to that, I would have BEEten myself up for arHIVING at the wrong answer, I can hear the buzz now.
camandsampowercouple

MileHighSolver wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 am How is it not โ€œSteakโ€? These were the only letters that were โ€œsounded offโ€ via silent letters in the across answers??? Consider me burning and looting the shore ;).
Possibly the alt answer Dr Tom mentioned? Which letters from which words?
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

AUDIO was the answer I submitted. However, the "d" sound in Heidi first sounded like an "e" to me --- with a, u, i, and o, "e" would have been the 5th vowel, so I thought vowel might be the solution. However, that was out of order reading top to bottom in the grid so I substituted "d" for "e" and got AUDIO.
I was not entirely satisfied because 2 of the "long" answers had 10 letters, 2 had 8, but 4 had 7. Why "sky high" and not the other three 7-letter ones? They did read "lets not look at sci tech" so I figured that eliminated them. This meta took me less time than many because the title "Sound Off" was a huge clue and looking for words in the grid related to the longer answers is standard practice.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MileHighSolver wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 am How is it not โ€œSteakโ€? These were the only letters that were โ€œsounded offโ€ via silent letters in the across answers??? Consider me burning and looting the shore ;).
Hmm, that one I am going to need some more information on. I know all about arriving all ready for the trip at the wrong station, but how did you get STEAK? Just curious.