"One False Note" - May 22, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I think I need a drink. I just replaced the pull cord on the lawn mower (thank you YouTube). I was really getting upset when it wouldn't start. Only took me five pulls before I remembered to reattach the spark plug. Cranked on the first pull after I did that. Tomorrow, I tackle the leaky kitchen faucet. I hope I won't be having to wash dishes in the bathtub after attempting that.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening

Our final count is two on the ship and 207 on the shore.

And since lunch we have had two new muggles Ken Pierson (K Pi) and ralphlewis. That brings our clan to 676 muggles

Making it to the shore since lunch were
Annabelle
KscX
sphorning
LLinNC - OUR 200TH MUGGLE ON SHORE
halseymac
Geoduck
WSJosh
MichaelS
asechres
ralphlewis
and K Pi

Good luck to all in winning the mug

Stay safe this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SewYoung wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:18 pm I think I need a drink. I just replaced the pull cord on the lawn mower (thank you YouTube). I was really getting upset when it wouldn't start. Only took me five pulls before I remembered to reattach the spark plug. Cranked on the first pull after I did that. Tomorrow, I tackle the leaky kitchen faucet. I hope I won't be having to wash dishes in the bathtub after attempting that.
You just did more than 50% of the guys I know. And we all have forgotten to reattach the spark plug at least once. Leaky faucets are always fun also because you have to be a contortionist to get to where the leak probably is.

Well done
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

On Shore.
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

Late reporting in but I am on the beach with the crowd.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:36 pm
Meg wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:31 pm I hope the person who is the meta answer doesn’t come here and find out how many of us have never heard of him/her.🙂
They could start a support group with Margaret Cho, Yma Suma, Sue Grafton, et al
You forgot Marie Kondo and the Wonder Twins.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20200522 WSJCC One False Note.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon May 25, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

This was a fun puzzle, and very easy for me but I have been reading music for 25 years--I wonder what it was like for those who never played an instrument. I also would have loved to go behind the scenes for this meta, I imagine it is difficult to find names that satisfy the mechanism (no one else comes to mind off the top of my head).
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

matthewmoravec wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 am This was a fun puzzle, and very easy for me but I have been reading music for 25 years--I wonder what it was like for those who never played an instrument. I also would have loved to go behind the scenes for this meta, I imagine it is difficult to find names that satisfy the mechanism (no one else comes to mind off the top of my head).
No musical experience but the gist of the puzzle came to me while I was running. I had an aha moment but could only remember maybe half the official clues. But, I thought true notes only went up to maybe "E", so I was like, "K...T?? lang", nah...but hmmm. Came back and I had to account for beggedout,but then i assumed it went up to G, and the answer still made since, not KD lang but someone else...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Clever puzzle but the nit I had (and it may be a regional definition) was 34 A

When we were in college and the drinking age was 18
If you ordered a depth charge, the bartender would bring the shot and the beer and drop the shot glass into the beer
if you ordered a boilermaker, the bartender would bring the shot and the beer and pour the shot into the beer
and if you ordered a shot and a chaser he would bring the shot and the beer and leave both of them for you

So technically with the boilermaker there was no chaser.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

matthewmoravec wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 am This was a fun puzzle, and very easy for me but I have been reading music for 25 years--I wonder what it was like for those who never played an instrument.
I too wondered whether someone who doesn't read music would have agreed with the 1-star rating this week. I mean, I suppose after staring at it you might notice the repeating B's, E's and so forth in the answers to the starred clues, and eventually realize the gimmick. But this isn't the first time that I've been grateful that I learned music at a young age!

Just for future reference, what's the protocol on a holiday weekend? Does the WSJ not put out the official answer until Tuesday?
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 am Clever puzzle but the nit I had (and it may be a regional definition) was 34 A

If you ordered a depth charge, the bartender would bring the shot and the beer and drop the shot glass into the beer
if you ordered a boilermaker, the bartender would bring the shot and the beer and pour the shot into the beer
and if you ordered a shot and a chaser he would bring the shot and the beer and leave both of them for you

A Depth Charge (or what Koreans call a "bomb drink") definitely requires the shot glass to be dropped into the beer - hence the name, obviously. I would agree that a Boilermaker traditionally has the liquor poured into the beer, but I've also heard it used to refer simply to beer and whiskey served together. I don't know if the usage varies by region, generation, or just individual (or whether some people just use the term incorrectly).
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

tigerfly222 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 am
matthewmoravec wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:32 am This was a fun puzzle, and very easy for me but I have been reading music for 25 years--I wonder what it was like for those who never played an instrument.
I too wondered whether someone who doesn't read music would have agreed with the 1-star rating this week. I mean, I suppose after staring at it you might notice the repeating B's, E's and so forth in the answers to the starred clues, and eventually realize the gimmick. But this isn't the first time that I've been grateful that I learned music at a young age!
I don't read music, but I think it's relatively common knowledge (or at least trivia!) that the notes run from A to G, even among those of us with no musical knowledge at all.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

tigerfly222 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:37 am

Just for future reference, what's the protocol on a holiday weekend? Does the WSJ not put out the official answer until Tuesday?
The WSJ will skip Monday and resume publishing and posting Tuesday. The exact time of the posted online Tuesday puzzle (containing the meta puzzle solution) varies.
Cynthia
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

"Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" is about all the music theory I can recall from a class roughly 145 years ago!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

I dabbled, befogged, asea, fazed. Had an idea, and exceeded each daffy ragged defect. Yea! Gaffnee gem! Bye / G'Day. Feedback?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

We had a couple of late night swimmers arrive on the shore before midnight so our new record is 209 muggles - smashing the old record of 171.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Jazzvibist wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am Ashore - and like many other commenters, (a) impressed by the construction, (b) unchallenged by the meta other than having had to Google it to confirm that such a person exists and (c) wondering whether we are in record-setting territory for beachgoers this week.
I knew such a person existed, but Googled to verify that said person was in the "Country" genre. I went a short distance down the wrong rabbit hole before discovering the error of my ways.
My incorrect rabbit hole: I noticed that all the vowels in the theme answers were "a" and "e" so I looked at a list of country musicians and found Merle Haggard. The next 20 or so had other vowels and I was sure that was the answer. I'm glad I looked further down the list because I found another that fit that criterion (I don't remember who it was). Looked at the title again a few minutes later and realized what it meant. The answer became obvious at that point. I did look her up to verify, though.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 am Clever puzzle but the nit I had (and it may be a regional definition) was 34 A

When I was a lad, the drinking age was (ahem!) sort of flexible. I also had older brothers that helped in being allowed in the local watering holes. One such was a watering hole in North Bennington called 'The Villager' because it was in the village. Think push button juke box and a bowling machine in the corner (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qVYAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg).

George Murphy had the 'Norm' seat at the end of the bar and was always there as soon as his shift got over at Bennington College. His honorary PhD was above the bar. His preferred drink was a boilermaker (with a 10 oz. beer) and the shot was not in the beer. Don't know how we knew that because he was usually face down on the bar by the time we usually arrived.

Anyway, even with that, we all knew that the real boilermaker was a shot in the beer. Which I think ruins two perfectly good beverages when combining them. Just like a gin and tonic.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 am

When I was a lad, the drinking age was (ahem!) sort of flexible. I also had older brothers that helped in being allowed in the local watering holes. One such was a watering hole in North Bennington called 'The Villager' because it was in the village. Think push button juke box and a bowling machine in the corner (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qVYAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg).

George Murphy had the 'Norm' seat at the end of the bar and was always there as soon as his shift got over at Bennington College. His honorary PhD was above the bar. His preferred drink was a boilermaker (with a 10 oz. beer) and the shot was not in the beer. Don't know how we knew that because he was usually face down on the bar by the time we usually arrived.

Anyway, even with that, we all knew that the real boilermaker was a shot in the beer. Which I think ruins two perfectly good beverages when combining them. Just like a gin and tonic.
Rufus -- I think I was in the same watering hole in our small town in upstate New York growing up.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director