"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Hey Muggles! Aren’t we the greatest group ever??
I think so. 🙋‍♀️
TPS

Post by TPS »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:19 pm Hey Muggles! Aren’t we the greatest group ever??
I think so. 🙋‍♀️
I think the cast of Community has us beat but we are Def second.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:39 pm
MaineMarge wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:19 pm Hey Muggles! Aren’t we the greatest group ever??
I think so. 🙋‍♀️
I think the cast of Community has us beat but we are Def second.
HA! Community WISHES it had the characters we do! Good show, don't get me wrong, but I think they get the Silver.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

juliet wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm Beautiful, just beautiful seeing the meta revealed in colors! At some point I'm going to learn how to use the solving tool. . .
But soft, what light through yonder crossword breaks? It is the answer, and Juliet thinks it's fun.

Yes it is a thing of beauty, and Joe must have spent quite a bit of time putting that together! I swear if I was ever going to frame a bit of crossword art, this could easily be the candidate!

Joseph, your are distinctly OCD and I love you for it!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:07 pm
thejeffbrown wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Hector wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:27 pm BEND, IDES, CENT, KEY, EXERT, and RULE are the answers to the clues Crook, Bad day, Penny, Islet, Strain, and Reign.
Slapping my head!
That would be a KAS 4

We have all been there - multiple times.
Bob, I have visited that shore so many times I had to come up with an icon.
Homer DOH.jpg
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I agree with MaineMarge. We are a fun group and certainly better than a sitcom since we are real folks!!!!!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Printer on
Reading glasses cleaned
Pencil sharpened
Bring it on!
Inca

Post by Inca »

DrTom wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:19 pm My GOODNESS, the WSJ blog site has a host of upset people! I never experienced the problem, maybe I didn't log in until Friday? At any rate they seem markedly less happy than our group of bon vIvants (our luxurious indulgence being the puzzle/blog). I can understand if your remote heart monitor or internet (or God forbid - cable!) was on the fritz but it occurred to me there was a lot more agita over the late/muddled arrival of the crossword than necessary. Now that is not to say I never get whiny, but I save it for something good like a paper cut.
Maybe they feel they deserve more because they are all paying for the paper. I know some of us here are also subscribers but many are just appreciating that we get the puzzle at all. AND, we are muggles....so of course we are nice.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 am When we started having muggles on the WSJ page, I could only count someone as a muggle when they posted on ship or shore. I kept the same method here although we have all sorts of variants.

I don't count someone who has created an account but not posted on the ship or shore which is why we show 771 users but only 662 muggles (about 1/3 of which have never posted on the blog) . Also there are several users who have either created an account but not posted or posted but not declared whether ship or shore. And there are a few who have posted their background in Come Aboard but not posted ship or shore. And there are some who have posted in one of the other topics such as the Other Metas, Other Puzzles or Acapulco Lounge.

As a result, congratulations to Jaime-Jin Lewis for winning the mug but I have not counted him as a muggle - yet.

Another interesting thing is the large number of "guests" that I see here. I am not sure if they are muggles who have not logged in or if they are lurkers who have not created an account. Either way great to see the interest. And, as always, a big thank to Brian Mac for setting this up and babysitting any issues which come up.
Well, I guess I should finally step out of the shadows then. Lurked on the WSJ page and have been hanging around here since it started, eventually formally joining. Just making it "official"
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cindy N wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:58 am When we started having muggles on the WSJ page, I could only count someone as a muggle when they posted on ship or shore. I kept the same method here although we have all sorts of variants.

I don't count someone who has created an account but not posted on the ship or shore which is why we show 771 users but only 662 muggles (about 1/3 of which have never posted on the blog) . Also there are several users who have either created an account but not posted or posted but not declared whether ship or shore. And there are a few who have posted their background in Come Aboard but not posted ship or shore. And there are some who have posted in one of the other topics such as the Other Metas, Other Puzzles or Acapulco Lounge.

As a result, congratulations to Jaime-Jin Lewis for winning the mug but I have not counted him as a muggle - yet.

Another interesting thing is the large number of "guests" that I see here. I am not sure if they are muggles who have not logged in or if they are lurkers who have not created an account. Either way great to see the interest. And, as always, a big thank to Brian Mac for setting this up and babysitting any issues which come up.
Well, I guess I should finally step out of the shadows then. Lurked on the WSJ page and have been hanging around here since it started, eventually formally joining. Just making it "official"
Welcome. We love lurkers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Sean

Post by Sean »

My only difficulty last week was accessing the puzzle. Had to print it out and solve it on paper, like a philistine. But got to the beach, paragliding on my paper airplane. (Forgot to send notice until now.)
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Ashore! First time posting. I’ve been a lurker. I started doing the puzzles/metas 2 years ago with only a small number of successes. I loved following you all on the WSJ Conversations blog. I thought “What a nice bunch of geniuses!”. I didn’t log on here for at first. You know, passwords, etc. But in February, while visiting family in So Cal, I got my sister-in-law hooked so now we are a team! She seems to have a knack for breaking the code. Although I broke it today. That must be what emboldened me to post. Bob, we are working hard on it every weekend so I’ll keep you posted on our status in future. Oh! And it’s cold here so I’ll have a hot toddy and wonder what I’ll do for the rest of the weekend.