"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Finally ashore (well, 90% sure . . . ). I think the "easiness" or "difficulty" of each meta is in the eye of the beholder - - fortunately, all our brains work a bit differently! Would be up for an IPA but for the fact that Isaac was pouring very heavily last night (well, someone was . . )
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Very enjoyable. I continue to be amazed at the skill of our intrepid constructors.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

On shore. !
Nice meta.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I was feeling a bit left out of the bird discussions so I updated my avatar in honor of the Baltimore oriole migration which is currently passing through the Illinois Valley.

PS: Yes, that is the image from the team jersey.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:44 pm Wow, do I ever feel dumb....seems everyone except a precious few of us have take the liberty launch to shore. I have an answer but it is soooo forced that I do not feel comfortable submitting. I have chased numerous rabbits, each one looking a little fluffier and purer than the one before, but each one leaving me in turn with nothing more than this bag of brown marbles I seem to be acquiring. Come 11:45 I'll throw up my Hail Mary, knowing that "throw up" is probably a very apropos word.

I mean how weird is it that I got last week's which was rated as very difficult while this week, well. I guess that blind pig/truffle analogy is dead on.
Keep at it! Try something new.
Heidi
ReB

Post by ReB »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:01 pm
TMart wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:48 pm On shore after a major struggle with technology. The WSJ puzzle page still isn't working for me, so I had to (gasp!) print the pdf and start filling it in by hand. I've never done that before. Man, I have bad handwriting. And doing it in pen didn't help either.

Then I tried this site again: https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/20-wsj.html

and it worked, so I got the .puz version and flew to shore. Nice puzzle, but now I have to figure out how to submit the answer. I guess I'll have to (gasp again!) email the answer in. This is all so 20th century - maybe I can fax it.

I really need a Guinness after this ordeal. And maybe a couple of shots.
No mailing
You get your choice - mag tape, punch cards, 3 1/2" or 5 1/4" floppy
So what does one do if all you have are a stack of 8" floppies? :(
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ReB wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm So what does one do if all you have are a stack of 8" floppies? :crown:
My liege, King of The Nerds!

:::bowing:::
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I finally made it ashore. I spent way too much time swimming in the wrong direction before a big wave flipped me around. I hope the tiki bar still has an ice-cold Kölsch available.
juliet

Post by juliet »

I haven't had access to the internet for the past several days, and barely got back online to hit the (metaphoric--still social distancing) beach. I'm glad to report I'm on shore, and headed to the tiki bar.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

juliet wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 7:00 pm I haven't had access to the internet for the past several days, and barely got back online to hit the (metaphoric--still social distancing) beach. I'm glad to report I'm on shore, and headed to the tiki bar.
meta..phoric!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

ReB wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:50 pm
So what does one do if all you have are a stack of 8" floppies? :(
You fire up your S/34 or S/36 or S/38 and let it do the work for you. Problem solved!

P.S. I haven't done this yet, and haven't looked at it since my initial grid solve on Thursday, hence I am at sea. However I will look at it around 10 p.m.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

On shore.
Didn't have a chance to work on the grid till late last evening. During the night had an idea for the meta that worked out while I enjoyed my morning coffee. After last week I was very relieved to solve this one fairly readily, as many others have also commented!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the boat until tomorrow.

Throwing a swag (with no justification except it fits the title) at the wsj in hopes of hitting the powerball number.
Rufus T. Firefly
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

This time I'm hopelessly adrift, although normally track pretty well with Marie's metas. I could claim distraction from an unfortunate occurance aboard our sailboat yesterday - my phone now lies at the bottom of Hoover Reservoir. (But some things can't be replaced, and a phone isn't one of them.) There are a few hours left but I may (like Tom Shea) also throw a swag!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

debbierudy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:20 pm This time I'm hopelessly adrift, although normally track pretty well with Marie's metas. I could claim distraction from an unfortunate occurance aboard our sailboat yesterday - my phone now lies at the bottom of Hoover Reservoir. (But some things can't be replaced, and a phone isn't one of them.) There are a few hours left but I may (like Tom Shea) also throw a swag!
I don't suppose that you had backed up your phone on your computer?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
burak

Post by burak »

I'm ashore. Nice idea, smooth execution.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Third week trying first week ashore!!! So satisfying and a great end to my day.
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

two weeks in a row staying on the boat after a nice run of getting the meta answer.

I don't think I'll have an 11:45pm revelation tonight like I did two weeks ago. thanks to tps and domo for the nudges, just not working.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening

We have had a lot of activity since lunch with four new muggles - halseymac, mlhl aka Marge, jimbo1 and JRS51. Welcome to the clan. We now have 662 muggles.

We have 6 on the ship and 167 on the shore. This is close to our record of 171 so I will see in the morning how many late night swimmers we have.

On the ship with Isaac since lunch are
Deb
Debbie
and UTHfan

Getting to shore are
SusieG
yourpalsal
Ethan
halseymac
Marge
Inca
phofer
David Wa
ImOnToo
JimJim
jimbo1
cbarbee002
Juliet
JRS51
KscX
and Burak

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ann

Post by Ann »

I am apparently being repaid for my feelings of smugness over the past few weeks. Just picked it up and don’t see a thing. Congratulations to all you smarties!