"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore. First time reporting in. Feeling super smart as we are usually clueless. 💪
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

On shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

zacmoretz wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 am Ashore. First time reporting in. Feeling super smart as we are usually clueless. 💪
Great to have you in the clan. We have several muggles near you.

good luck
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

I hope everyone is safe and healthy

We have two new muggles since yesterday - txgordo and zacmoretz (who does this with his 85 year old aunt who texts him - way to go Aunt). Welcome to both of you

And we have 4 keeping Isaac company and 151 on the shore.

Since yesterday our shore party has increased by
Scott M
MajorDomoTom
howardl
arlecchino
Matthew M
martimeryard
txgordo
Teeje92
djquimby
Susan G
Colin
tigerfly222
azdataboy
Kris
jag
DennyB
horsesense
and zac with his aunt

Good luck winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ashore! I got a late start due to the technical glitch (and many other distractions), then panicked when I everyone said how easy it was and I still didn’t have it. Yes, it was pretty easy after all.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:50 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 am
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 pm On shore! Phew. Was starting to become very worried based on all of the “easy” comments. Got psyched out.
This is pretty much me right now. Still on the ship!
OK. Now I'm on shore, after my mom threw me a life preserver.
I'm not really sure I deserve a beverage; I think this time I'm happy just to be on dry land.
You definitely deserve a drink. Despite all the comments it was a bit tricky!
mlhl

Post by mlhl »

Registered last week, and first time posting! I've been doing the grids for a few months now, and decided it was about time I started tackling the contests each week. After an unsuccessful attempt at the contest last week, I can happily say I am on shore for the first time today!!

Marge
emd

Post by emd »

mlhl wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm Registered last week, and first time posting! I've been doing the grids for a few months now, and decided it was about time I started tackling the contests each week. After an unsuccessful attempt at the contest last week, I can happily say I am on shore for the first time today!!

Marge
Great work!
-Ethan
emd

Post by emd »

On shore! A midday piña colada for me.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Did the MGWCC grid and meta, did the WSJ grid, but meta not coming to me right away. :-(
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore. And ohhhhhhhhhhh, did I flog this to bits before the solution emerged!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Got it! And, I'm glad I did, because unlike last week, this week is my kind of puzzle and I would have been very upset to see the solution had I not gotten it.

Having said that, I honestly didn't think it was all that easy and am frankly amazed that only 4 of us (I guess now 3) were on the ship. While I honestly didn't spend that much time in total on it (The way I do these: Give it a few minutes of concentration. If I don't get it, put it aside until Sunday or late Saturday night and try again), and the part that made it take that long was my stubborn attitude of trying to make another method work, I also don't think that it was just all that obvious either.

I do want to give a shout out to Mike whose puzzles I really enjoy almost every time (the few exceptions are only when I don't "get" them....j/k) and to Joe Ross, whose excel format allows me to solve these without breaking out the pen and paper.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Hi Everyone, Newbie here! This is my first time posting! Ashore! Enjoyed this one.....have gotten several over the past few weeks, but last week's had me completely stumped...
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I really enjoyed this puzzle and thought it was extremely clever! I definitely consider myself a novice at the meta game so it is really exciting to get one right!!!!!
I had a really steep learning curve on metas, not that I am very good yet!
In 2018, I attempted 23 wsj puzzles and solved 0.
In 2019, I attempted 19 and got 5 right (26 percent)
In 2020, I have tried 20 and got 13 (65 percent)
So the moral of the story is keep trying and you will start getting it!!!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

I am totally at sea so I'm happy there are a few in the same boat--literally. Count me with Isaac, Bob.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

We've been doing our part in trying to keep our local eateries alive until this lockdown ends. We went to one of our local sandwich shops today for a carry-out lunch. In honor of the puzzle answer a few weeks ago I had the "Jefferson Starship" (aka their Reuben). :)
JimJim

Post by JimJim »

Done and Done. Fun one.
TPS

Post by TPS »

LadyBird wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 pm We've been doing our part in trying to keep our local eateries alive until this lockdown ends. We went to one of our local sandwich shops today for a carry-out lunch. In honor of the puzzle answer a few weeks ago I had the
I really thought this was going to say "Grilled Ham & Cheese"
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Just now had an opportunity to take a look.
For some reason, this one came to me quickly.
👍🏼🏖
Konnie
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, do I ever feel dumb....seems everyone except a precious few of us have take the liberty launch to shore. I have an answer but it is soooo forced that I do not feel comfortable submitting. I have chased numerous rabbits, each one looking a little fluffier and purer than the one before, but each one leaving me in turn with nothing more than this bag of brown marbles I seem to be acquiring. Come 11:45 I'll throw up my Hail Mary, knowing that "throw up" is probably a very apropos word.

I mean how weird is it that I got last week's which was rated as very difficult while this week, well. I guess that blind pig/truffle analogy is dead on.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!